Colorado Trip

dmurry23

Jun 21, 2016
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone,

I am heading out to Colorado over 4th of July weekend on my first gold expedition and am super excited to finally have the opportunity! Out of all of my research, I am continually reading forums about locations around the west Denver/Idaho Springs area or the Buena Vista area. Clear Creek, Cache Creek, and the Arkansas River seem to be the names I see most frequently. Does anyone have any advice on which area would be better for a beginning gold prospector and why? I will be only be using a pan and sluice box (Bazooka) and will not have any motor/battery powered equipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, please feel free to provide any tips/suggestions from any personal experiences.

Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm gonna check out west north west and I'll keep you posted how my trip goes!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Goodluck and have fun on your trip but unless your a gpaa member forget going to the Arkansas River at Buena Vista. Its all claimed up and people are watching these locations. A idea that Ive used was to join a club in the area that your visiting so you could access these claims without having to keep looking over your shoulder for the long arm of the law!

OP
OP
D

dmurry23

Jun 21, 2016
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodluck and have fun on your trip but unless your a gpaa member forget going to the Arkansas River at Buena Vista. Its all claimed up and people are watching these locations. A idea that Ive used was to join a club in the area that your visiting so you could access these claims without having to keep looking over your shoulder for the long arm of the law!

Thanks for the input thus far everyone, one week from today my expedition starts.....can't wait to hit the road. Russau, I am a GPAA member and will be asking about their Arkansas River claims in the private section of their forum also. I am a new member with them as well, so I was waiting to receive the mining guide booklet to get a little more information on the AR claim before I decided one way or the other. The Arkansas River seems to be a great place though, so hopefully I can get more information about the specific GPAA claims before leaving town. From what I've heard, the Arkansas River claims are another step above the smaller creeks as far as difficulty level, so I was unsure if this would be out of my league being a virgin gold prospector. However, if the gold is that much better at the Arkansas River claims, then I am more than willing to start with a more difficult area while learning the ropes. No matter where I wind up, I am going to be in sponge mode trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can from my own experiences and hopefully from other prospectors I happen to run into!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go to Cache Creek or Dennis Oneill's place on Lake Creek. Arkansas river is sort of dangerous right now, lots of rafting tours have been limited due to really high flows. I say Cache Creek because there will be lots of friendly folks there. You can also camp at Cache Creek for a two week stretch. When you get sore and tired go to the Cottonwood Hot Springs for a long soak.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/b...at/2012 Cache Creek Area RAC presentation.pdf

Last edited:

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm gonna have a giant highbanker set up at Dennis O'Neils on the 1st if everything goes right. I've heard good things about the place.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out the links in one of my web posts from late last year at www.findingGOLDinColorado.com for info on public places to go in CO [emoji106]

As you'll see, there is one public area on the Arkansas River at Point Bar (unless Russ knows something I don't about that). However, the water is very high and dangerous right now so go but be careful!

PS 49er- I've had fun and found gold at Dennis' place. Enjoy!

Last edited:

49er4ever44

Feb 9, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin is there any chance you could pm me some details on locating/gaining access to his claim? I drove by a long time ago and couldn't find anyone to ask.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin is there any chance you could pm me some details on locating/gaining access to his claim? I drove by a long time ago and couldn't find anyone to ask.

Done.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Check out the links in one of my web posts from late last year at www.findingGOLDinColorado.com for info on public places to go in CO [emoji106]

As you'll see, there is one public area on the Arkansas River at Point Bar (unless Russ knows something I don't about that). However, e water is very high and dangerous right now so go but be careful!

PS 49er- I've had fun and found gold at Dennis' place. Enjoy!
Kev I forgot about that one! and Yep that Arkansas River is flowing right now until labor day weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions