Ecological/Environmental Impact: What do you do to limit your impact?

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it truly is a fire break. Why where the trees placed across it. You would think. They would want clear access for fire fighting. And to maintain the fire break. Just throw away money because they think they have the right too. I have seen the same thing it the white mountains of N.H. This is one of the reasons the forest fires become so large. No access.Oh I know mother nature will take care of it. Oh and a few millon dollars also.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it truly is a fire break. Why where the trees placed across it. You would think. They would want clear access for fire fighting. And to maintain the fire break. Just throw away money because they think they have the right too. I have seen the same thing it the white mountains of N.H. This is one of the reasons the forest fires become so large. No access.Oh I know mother nature will take care of it. Oh and a few millon dollars also.

At one time the USFS wanted to shut down all the access roads in the WMNF. And only worry about forest fires when a town became threatened. Real smart do you need a degree for that? :dontknow: :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:<--Ricky Ranger!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alright a new road, right up the creek, I'm sure there will be some that try that,
then they will say, oh! look at how irresponsible the public is...

submit a NOI for claim access for non-discretionary consideration ?????? (the courts have ruled a NOI is agency action so this makes no sense).

if its considered grandfathered under RS 2477 it could be maintained by the miners with heavy equipment, no NEPA or permits needed

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
alright a new road, right up the creek, I'm sure there will be some that try that,
then they will say, oh! look at how irresponsible the public is...

submit a NOI for claim access for non-discretionary consideration ??????

if its considered grandfathered under RS 2477 it could be maintained by the miners with heavy equipment, no NEPA or permits needed

I completely forgot about the whole RS2477 thing. Thank you for jogging my memory.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

From what I understand about the "firebreak" thing, they bulldozed additional width along the side of the road. And they are now using that as an excuse to close the road, even though the road PREDATED the firebreak. It is common practice among the wildfire crews to use roads as makeshift firebreaks.

And as for the "unauthorized user created trail" I will have to look and see when their last travel management plan was completed. If they have not recently completed one that specifically does not allow cross country travel, then it is legal and this is just another lie spread by the USFS to gain sympathy.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont loose a lot of sleep about mitigating impacts. In the big picture, anything I do has no measurable effect. I dont spill fuel, I dont leave garbage, I dont chop on trees even though these things are relatively short lived. Dredge holes and tailing piles are probably my biggest impact and they are completely gone after the next high water. Worrying about taking a step off the trail and hurting the feelings of a plant is a ridiculous waste of energy.
Enjoying life and nature does not mean you have to pretend you were never there.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to it all and am curious as much as I am concerned. I don't think there is a lot of misuse of the land and environment by individual treasure hunters, but I know we all make an impact by disturbing nature. I've seen erosion be an issue because of fossil hunters. This made me wonder about other types of th-ing. I know we dig holes and such. I have myself. So I wonder what people do to keep things as natural as possible ie. as tampered with as little as possible. There are good reasons for doing so (there are a lot of people tromping around for one thing). I care very much about the environment, but I also try and stay objective.
Someone mentioned ranchers and such being close to the land and taking care of it in ways unlike other folk. This person brings up a good point. This is true. And yet I've seen the same people almost wipe out a predator species in their area, I've seen them use chemicals in their crops, seen them dump off dogs on the side of the road etc. So it isn't like this issue is black and white. What is true, is that we can all do things to respect nature better.
Personally I do have problems with large scale mining. I do have problems with people who just do whatever the heck they want to without consideration for others and for Nature. Most of ya'll seem to do your part which is commendable to me. I truly appreciate that, and feel you are the people I want to learn from.
So, I am here to learn, and to help share information. I hope bringing the subject up will keep it all on our minds. For some of you, this is old hat, for others, it isn't.
Now can we get back to sharing of the info? Lol

" And yet I've seen the same people almost wipe out a predator species in their area, I've seen them use chemicals in their crops "

Well I was born and raised on a large family farm in Alabama . My brother and two sisters and me of course are the 4th generation . Long story short ..... as time passed and my Dad has got older we don't do near as much because we all have regular jobs and can't do it for a living the way my Dad , his Dad and GranDad did it . I can tell you that if we did not keep livestock and feed predators in check , and did not use SOME chemical agents to combat insect (domestic and some foreign ) destruction , along with various soil and plant diseases and fungus we could not feed this Nation .

Most people don't seem to realize how fragile the food supply really is . It's like people who think you can power this Nation of over 320,000,000 with windmills , solar panels and CLEAN batteries .......... it's absurd . We will have to come up with something better than that , and then find a way to phase it in for everyday use in America . Not gona happen in my lifetime .

Anyhow ........ you , me and everybody else on this planet is dependent on what we can grow or what we can MINE from it . When we have depleted what we can mine and used up the ground for what it can grow ................. it's just over . This place was not built to last forever anyway . Your attempt to subtly impugn the rightful activity of others because you don't like it is stale and born from ignorance .................. and probably a presumption in your own mind of some sort of intellectual superiority or enlightenment .

I bet you are one of those people who think Elvis is dead .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok this is wrong on so many levels, so let's begin.

Let's see, they didn't have the money to repair the road, but they had the money to document the activities of the prospectors by hiring interns? How much did they pay to cut down and move all those trees

The road required a NEPA to fix it? Guess the people never heard of a Categorical Exclusion that is commonly used by the Fecal Circus to close roads or repair them in case of damage.

Since when did "firebreaks" start getting road numbers? And since when did game trails need to be obliterated.? Guess those animals aren't so endangered after all since we can inhibit their travel to certain areas.

Someone needs to educate these people on the 1872 Mining Laws. A NOI is only required when you go mechanized along with a the required bond. The people need sued into oblivion and ridiculed into obscurity.

So to keep a few prospectors out the U.S. Fecal Circus, destroyed many acres of vegetation and also seriously inhabited the local wildlife's ability to move through the area. Wonder of there were any bird's nests in the tress they cut down? And considering the proximity to a stream, I wonder if they cleaned the equipment of oil to prevent any pollution of the stream.

Since this was a "firebreak" and was "recovered" by dropping large trees across it, that will eventually dry out and become a "fire bridge across the fire break" one has to wonder if these people really have any brains. They definitely haven't learn from the millions of acres burned from their past practices.

Yea, that right USFS, I called you both stupid and a sh!t circus. As my Professors told me, if your smart and graduate with honors, you end up working for the big outfits making big money. If your stupid, you end up making menial wages working for the USFS or BLM. And when things like this happen, the stupid really shows through. And by the way, since only certain people can use the forests and with your abysmal management of said forests, I am requesting the return of my tax dollars, with interest, so that we may hire someone that can properly manage said lands.

:headbang:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you want to put the fire out in the wood stove. You stop adding wood. When you want to make a forest fire break. You don"t pile up the wood on the fire break to stop it. And if its to stop access. 25-30 trees would be plenty not 100s. Its just another show of power. And they had to build a monument to show it.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After looking at the pictures again, all I can say is the only "mitigation" we need is against the Fecal Circus.

I'll bet there is several thousand board feet laying on that road. But in the Fecal Circus's eyes, I guess it's better to waste those logs keeping a few prospectors out than it is to let some poor logger put food on his table for a few more weeks. Wonder how the loss of those trees is going to affect the wildlife in the area seeing how logging is so detrimental and all?

The only thing I have seen that is detrimental to the forest there is the U.S. Fecal Circus. If the damage the prospectors did was so bad to require this level of response, then why don't they post up some pics. Shouldn't be too hard since they had interns documenting it and all.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They should have dropped those logs into the stream, they'd be there eventually anyhow and they would have created "natural" boulder piles...would have benefited many

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If they block the roads / trails in the forest , then how will the fire crews get to the eventual fires to put them out??? The fire fighters should be able to cite them for doing this!! And with the current fires going on EVERY YEAR this action of theirs is contemptable!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If they block the roads / trails in the forest , then how will the fire crews get to the eventual fires to put them out??? The fire fighters should be able to cite them for doing this!! And with the current fires going on EVERY YEAR this action of theirs is contemptable!

D12 CAT, skin that trail like butta

arent some fire fighters employed by the blm or forest service ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread