Dont know if this is gold or not, need help.

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Eureka Gold, 2" and 4" dredges, Gold Hog raptor 2.0 flare high banker, Mini Piglet Flare, Garrett ATX, Gold Hog Multi Sluice, (2) Gold Bug 2 detectors, Mine Lab Monster 1000 detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am needing all help possible trying to find out if this is gold or not. It is heavy like gold and stays back with the gold that I dredge, sluice and pan. Ran my cons thru the gold cube and it stayed. Ran it on my fine recovery table and it also stayed. Please help. 20160629_121513.jpg 20160629_121720.jpg 20160629_121755.jpg 20160629_121833.jpg 20160629_121953.jpg

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some look like lead some look like silver some could have gold with mercury or mercury scum.
each stream is different maybe you could post the water body,
some of the Washington guys here might have run into this before.

OP
OP
ace4166

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Eureka Gold, 2" and 4" dredges, Gold Hog raptor 2.0 flare high banker, Mini Piglet Flare, Garrett ATX, Gold Hog Multi Sluice, (2) Gold Bug 2 detectors, Mine Lab Monster 1000 detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just west of Puget sound

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like lead.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for letting me know the location, that area is all glacial till on ancient sea bed, I could not find any history of gold being found there. As for what you found it is probably lead and maybe some brass. If it was gold you would know it. If you need advise on other places you want to mine please ask.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The following is PERSONAL OPINION and is NOT meant to attack or offend the OP or any other member of this forum.

It ALWAYS BOTHERS ME when I see "Is this gold?" posts. What is the FIRST thing a prudent person does when they believe they have gold? Have it assayed / tested. In our modern world, we can actually walk in to ANY jeweler or pawn shop, and ask them to perform a "Scratch test." You can order gold test kits through the mail, or by this newfangled "Interweb" thing.

"Wait, I know, I'll post some bad photographs on the Interweb, and ask people I have never smelled to tell me!" Freaking Brilliant! :coffee2:

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Stones ..heavy stones?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its hard to know sometimes if its lead or mercury coated gold or something else!
its even harder to tell the smaller pieces, I would suggest a jewelers loop at least 30X
a big enough piece you can do a rub test on an unfinished ceramic tile then look at the rub and the piece under magnification.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure you can't post crappier pictures?....:BangHead:

Put them in a pan, dry them off..... They aint gonna grow.

With what little I can see none of it looks golden...................

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its hard to know sometimes if its lead or mercury coated gold that is prevalent in western Washington.
its even harder to tell the smaller pieces, I would suggest a jewelers loop at least 30X
a big enough piece you can do a rub test on an unfinished ceramic tile then look at the rub and the piece under magnification.
Can you tell me where mercury is so prevalent here in Western Wa. I have mined out over 12 ozs. on the rivers this side of the Cascades and only found mercury coated gold once.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my bad. a lot of people I've talked to that came to Oregon to mine have said it was great to not have mercury coated gold
But I didn't ask where they were mining, I know Dan "Bonaro" gets a lot where he mines.

My personal opinion is educate and encourage so what if its annoying we were all once newbies
and we shouldn't discourage asking questions and passing on some knowledge.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...My personal opinion is educate and encourage so what if its annoying we were all once newbies
and we shouldn't discourage asking questions and passing on some knowledge.

I agree, but even when I was a "newbie," I could figure out some things by myself. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread