Did pan out!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back up to Lake Superior with the model 4 fluid bed for two days. I decided to run the model 4 as there's less plumbing to clog. I ran 6 buckets from 4 PM to sundown that night, and another 18 the next day. Came home with 2 gallons of cons.

Here's the beach.
IMG_2877.JPG

The old black sand layer that was there last year was washed out and/or pushed up to the log/grass line. Rocks were scattered everywhere. Just below the grass line, there's lots of coarse black mixed with the blond, but nothing to dig. Below the waterline you can see the sorting of the cobble. It might be good to try dredging these.

IMG_2899.JPG

Here's the operation, and after. Can you spot 24 buckets of tailings?
IMG_2881.JPG IMG_2900.JPG

The 55 Watt solar panel system brought the battery up from 12.2V to a peak of 13.4V during a break, but averaged 12.6V while running for the day. The bilge pump runs about 36 Watts.

I'm glad I ran the model 4 this time as preclassification was needed due to the amount of junk in the sand. I had to run a full cleanout every 3 buckets for the amount of junk clogging the pump and jets. I classified at window screen, but it would still let roots and algae through. This time I remembered the tool!

IMG_2882.JPG IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG

And here's what I was digging. The black sand was in a layer about 3/4" to 2" thick. I dug around the grass as much as possible, and only uprooted 2 shoots in all the buckets filled. Here's the bed after 1 bucket.

IMG_2878.JPG IMG_2879.JPG

While panning the blonde sand out of the cons, a family stopped by to watch what I was doing. I taught their 6 year old girl how to pan beach sand with my 10", and she hit a great panfull of raw material from behind a log! I bottled 30 flakes out of that pan for her to take home! I think she's hooked!

A real nice fist sized agate was found right where I was going into the lake to get water from. The finder was a local who also stopped to talk. She let me in on a couple of thick BS slicks that were 6-12" thick or better. She also gave me a better map of the area and she marked the good spots that are public land. Another semi-local stopped by and said I was the first he's seen hitting the beaches for gold. He's mainly a MD'er, but knew what I meant when I said miller table. Also met a few iron miners from Marquette, and I asked about running the crushed tacconite mill tailings for possible gold. Sounds like a no-go there, but maybe possible.

And so it's time to start miller tabeling the cons. Gold pic's to follow!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be there! If the conditions there are like where I was, the best place might be around Whitefish Point. I heard there's some big slicks there! Need to mine em before they get washed off the point into deep water!

Also, may have bagged a platinium flake! It seemed just slightly lighter than gold on the miller table, and looked like the gold but was bright silver. Silver or copper would probably be tarnished looking.

Tomorrow I gotta go to the doc. Deer tick got me, and the site is getting red. 2 weeks of antibiotics. :BangHead:

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to do a cleanout of the miller table bottle as I brushed some sand into it. But here's what I got so far.

IMG_2901.JPG

Kinda crappy pic, but you can see the platinium flake in the lower right.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will it pay for your gasoline Cap? :dontknow:

If I have EVER seen a place ripe for metal detecting, you are on it! Give me two-days swinging and we MIGHT be able to find some REAL gold! :skullflag:

I am not taking away from your accomplishment or your sense of adventure Cap, I'm just amazed at the amount of money, time and sweat, folks are willing to spend on finding a couple of flakes of glacial micro gold. Doesn't make sense to me, but if you got the dough, well this IS America and we have the right to blow through our money any way we want to! I prefer single malt scotch and hookers, buy hey, to each their own!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't done with the cons yet, only about one third on a bucket that traveled 10 miles on a corduroy gravel road. Most of the gold is probably at the bottom. Last year, running both black and overburden, I estimated about 1-1.5 g per yard for the 1/4 yard ran. This time it's mainly black sand I'm running, so the take should be higher. Just depends on how the gold washed around, and where it washed to. That little girl got more with just a scoopful. If I could run a couple hundred yards a day with a bobcat without the DNR in the way, it'd pay nicely.

But I think the real gold is hiding out in the lake. It''s not that far to bedrock out there.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had to do a cleanout of the miller table bottle as I brushed some sand into it. But here's what I got so far.

View attachment 1332002

Kinda crappy pic, but you can see the platinium flake in the lower right.

Did you screen classify before you ran the cons on your miller table and, if so, what size screen did this pass? The gold appears to have some shape/bulk compared to the gold I recover on Oregon ocean beaches and all of that is minus 100 mesh and most is probably less than 120 to 150 mesh (I don't have those screens so just guessing since most of the gold is much smaller than a random few larger pieces that passed the 100 mesh screen).

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you run a dredge in the lake?

It can be done but you have to get several permits I think. I recall Mike Pung did it last year but results were disappointing. Maybe he can add on here with the facts instead of my second hand memory ;)

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
It can be done but you have to get several permits I think. I recall Mike Pung did it last year but results were disappointing. Maybe he can add on here with the facts instead of my second hand memory ;)
There is a way to dredge there, the easiest way is to get a beach reclaim permit where you are pulling sand back up onto the beach. There will be 3 main permissions, one from the person in charge of the beach, private/state/federal. The second is from the EPA and the third is from the Corp of Engineers. The great lakes do not fall into the same classifications as all the inland lakes and rivers, they are considered boundary waters and are all governed under separate rules. Most of the inland offices have no idea. At Lake Muskalonge state park, I helped set the rules there to keep things friendly. If you go too big and noisy there will be complaints and everything gets shut down. So far that has worked to keep the Hoffmans out LOL. Keeping it on a recirculating basis keeps it quiet. Not having a pump running in the Lake keeps the beach traffic flowing and the park rangers happy. Also keeps the thought of pollution (as if) at bay. Then as cool and friendly as it is, even the greenies feel like it is a perfectly good thing to do and view us in a different light. Introducing the possibility of gold prospecting to random beach combers is really what makes it a fun day. The gold is a really nice bonus! Most beach combers and their kids will even want to help, I hand them a bucket and a spare shovel and tell them to fetch me some of the black stuff. It's funny to watch them fill it too full and have to drag it. I make a big deal of panning their bucket and explain about mining as I go. Have gotten letters back from parents telling me the gold day was the day their kids keep bringing up as the coolest day. We'll make gold diggers out of them yet! Mike

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you screen classify before you ran the cons on your miller table and, if so, what size screen did this pass? The gold appears to have some shape/bulk compared to the gold I recover on Oregon ocean beaches and all of that is minus 100 mesh and most is probably less than 120 to 150 mesh (I don't have those screens so just guessing since most of the gold is much smaller than a random few larger pieces that passed the 100 mesh screen).

Everything was classified through window screen before the fluid bed, and I've just went with that. I've got some smaller stainless screen that's a rough guess about #45, but some of that gold would get stuck in that for sure. It's a lot chunkier than on Lake Michigan. Some of that stuff needs 20X to barely see. That's what 200 miles of extra grinding can do. Now that the big stuff is out, I'll classify with the screen and run again. Have to find that big ruby red garnet I saw.

Add about 8X of gold and 2 more platinium flakes to the picture. And that's the haul for 24 six gallon buckets. While there's gold in that black sand, it's not in the amounts I saw last summer. It either washed down into the cobble or went to sea. I'll have to hunt down one of those big slicks and see what's in one of those.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Mike!!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as been both Mike's and my own experience, if you go, take extra pans and vials for teaching!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread