kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, for the states that the Arkansas flows through, I'm assuming you're somewhere in Colorado.

As for "today's equivalent would be between $250-$500k every 24 hours", if there was THAT much gold floating in the river on a continual basis, I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed long before now. If you remove the 'k', that I can grasp - but half a million dollars in gold every day?!?!? Something would be SERIOUSLY wrong if that much gold is escaping into the environment. There would be heavy concentrations of gold all along the banks, as the gold would get deposited not only in sidewalks, but also in grasses, rocks, and any non-smooth surface the water happens to flow over.

I think more testing is needed first. ...Have you put any of this gold in a gold pan with other "known" gold to see how the two act and look together? Have you done ANY testing to ensure it really is gold? I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but many a person has bet their life and livelihood on "knowing" they've struck paydirt, only to have lost everything in the end. Trust me please, it IS WORTH the time and expense to have an assay done! And if not as assay, at least see if it matches the characteristics of gold in a gold pan - right alongside other "known" gold. Without the "known" gold to compare to, the test would be flawed.

I really hope it is gold, and I hope there's enough for you to become fabulously wealthy from - but be cautions. Unless you happen to be one of those naturally lucky people, such wonderful happenings must be met with initial skepticism - not a hurtful amount, but enough to keep from getting tunnel vision where you can't see anything except what you want to see. A healthy amount of skepticism is a good thing.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geologist that did his testing, did it in 1964 and the lock and dam was completed the following year. So yes. He did notice a while ago lol

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your take, but you also haven't seen the gold dust clinging to your dust pan. I understand your frustration ;)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for the states that the Arkansas flows through, I'm assuming you're somewhere in Colorado.

As for "today's equivalent would be between $250-$500k every 24 hours", if there was THAT much gold floating in the river on a continual basis, I'm pretty sure someone would have noticed long before now. If you remove the 'k', that I can grasp - but half a million dollars in gold every day?!?!? Something would be SERIOUSLY wrong if that much gold is escaping into the environment. There would be heavy concentrations of gold all along the banks, as the gold would get deposited not only in sidewalks, but also in grasses, rocks, and any non-smooth surface the water happens to flow over.

I think more testing is needed first. ...Have you put any of this gold in a gold pan with other "known" gold to see how the two act and look together? Have you done ANY testing to ensure it really is gold? I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but many a person has bet their life and livelihood on "knowing" they've struck paydirt, only to have lost everything in the end. Trust me please, it IS WORTH the time and expense to have an assay done! And if not as assay, at least see if it matches the characteristics of gold in a gold pan - right alongside other "known" gold. Without the "known" gold to compare to, the test would be flawed.

I really hope it is gold, and I hope there's enough for you to become fabulously wealthy from - but be cautions. Unless you happen to be one of those naturally lucky people, such wonderful happenings must be met with initial skepticism - not a hurtful amount, but enough to keep from getting tunnel vision where you can't see anything except what you want to see. A healthy amount of skepticism is a good thing.

The geologist was an older gentleman... maybe he was senile lol

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And I'm not sure that you grasp the concept of just how big the Arkansas river is where I live. Close to the width of the Mississippi here in Arkansas. A river that only transported $250 worth of gold dust every 24 hours, would essentially be considered barren of gold. Again, I appreciate the criticism, and expected it soon as I posted the pics. But I wish one of you lived close so I could show you. Well, been fun...back to brainstorming as to how to collect it lol

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
My same comment holds - if "gold" is getting deposited in the sidewalk cracks, it'll be getting deposited all over the place, in every uneven and irregular surface that the water comes into contact with.

...So this is the Arkansas river in Arkansas?

Have you been able to distinguish that these deposits happen around the clock, or only during times of flooding? Is gold traveling only near the surface or throughout the width and depth of the river? I like mytimetoshine's idea of using a sheet (or something) covered with Vaseline - maybe several such sheets in different parts of the river to see where mineralization is concentrated. However, that wasn't your original question. You were originally thinking about working a sidewalk. Good place to start. Also, sounds like you now have a plan to work with. Might not be a bad idea, in addition to the little dustbuster, to have some sort of device that can blow puffs of air - like an ear wax removal bulb or a turkey baster. Dustbusters aren't super strong. Might not hurt to force a little air down there to help loosen the material so your dustbuster can suck it out.

Please don't think we're here trying to cut you down in any way. As near as I can read, every person that has commented has done so because 1) they don't want you to get stuck on a wild goose chase and 2) because there have been too many others in the past who have gotten "the fever", and been blind to everything including what's right in front of their eyes.

Arkansas state is not known for having much gold. There IS some, but not much. And if gold (being 19 times heavier than water) is being deposited in the cracks of a sidewalk, then where is this gold coming from? How far upstream? It's not coming all the way from Colorado!! So if you can verify that this is gold, then work upstream until you find the highest concentrations you can find. Once there, look around for where the gold is coming from - the source. If you can find a source, you'll be sitting on easy street in no time!

We'll help all we can. Just remember it's a 2-way street. You're there and we're not, so we may need a little something now and then in order to provide the best help we can. Right now we're going on a single pic of some gold-colored dust on your finger tip and your certainty that it IS, in fact, gold. Is more difficult for us. Seems like a find this huge would have been found already....but then, stranger things HAVE happened!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My same comment holds - if "gold" is getting deposited in the sidewalk cracks, it'll be getting deposited all over the place, in every uneven and irregular surface that the water comes into contact with.

...So this is the Arkansas river in Arkansas?

Have you been able to distinguish that these deposits happen around the clock, or only during times of flooding? Is gold traveling only near the surface or throughout the width and depth of the river? I like mytimetoshine's idea of using a sheet (or something) covered with Vaseline - maybe several such sheets in different parts of the river to see where mineralization is concentrated. However, that wasn't your original question. You were originally thinking about working a sidewalk. Good place to start. Also, sounds like you now have a plan to work with. Might not be a bad idea, in addition to the little dustbuster, to have some sort of device that can blow puffs of air - like an ear wax removal bulb or a turkey baster. Dustbusters aren't super strong. Might not hurt to force a little air down there to help loosen the material so your dustbuster can suck it out.

Please don't think we're here trying to cut you down in any way. As near as I can read, every person that has commented has done so because 1) they don't want you to get stuck on a wild goose chase and 2) because there have been too many others in the past who have gotten "the fever", and been blind to everything including what's right in front of their eyes.

Arkansas state is not known for having much gold. There IS some, but not much. And if gold (being 19 times heavier than water) is being deposited in the cracks of a sidewalk, then where is this gold coming from? How far upstream? It's not coming all the way from Colorado!! So if you can verify that this is gold, then work upstream until you find the highest concentrations you can find. Once there, look around for where the gold is coming from - the source. If you can find a source, you'll be sitting on easy street in no time!

We'll help all we can. Just remember it's a 2-way street. You're there and we're not, so we may need a little something now and then in order to provide the best help we can. Right now we're going on a single pic of some gold-colored dust on your finger tip and your certainty that it IS, in fact, gold. Is more difficult for us. Seems like a find this huge would have been found already....but then, stranger things HAVE happened!

Kcm getting tired and have to work early, but I will get back with y'all in the morning and thanks a million for the replies :)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
might I humbly suggest a Sheet covered in Vaseline. Then get that suspended in the river some how..from what I've heard half a million dollars floats down the river everyday just waiting to be collected!
I have read reports on oleophillic adhesion. It is certainly a low cost method and well worth the experiment.
I think chlsbrns has spoken of that method as well.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like mytimetoshine's idea of using a sheet (or something) covered with Vaseline - maybe several such sheets in different parts of the river

funniest thing I've heard all week. I guess I need to work on my sarcasm!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've thought about trying the Vaseline covered sheet thing here on the coastal beach where the gold is -100 to invisible to the naked eye just to see what it would collect.....anyone have a line on a cheap 5 gallon barrel of the stuff :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
funniest thing I've heard all week. I guess I need to work on my sarcasm!

Well, it couldn't hurt! :tongue3: This would be a process much more aligned with mercury. However, the LAST thing anyone should be doing is introducing more mercury to a river!! I just assumed this was something you had tried. Sounded weird to me, but hey, I really don't know everything. ...Honestly! :laughing9:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mike, I dare you to walk into your local drug store and ask if you can get Vaseline by the barrel! :laughing7:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a well ventilated area....Take a test tube, add some muriatic acid (HCl), add a sample of your gold, add a little bleach.

Did it turn the solution yellow? Yes = Gold! Greenish yellow = copper and gold.

Recover with sodium metabisulphite (in stores selling brewing supplies). It will form a brownish black precipitate of gold.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about trying the Vaseline covered sheet thing here on the coastal beach where the gold is -100 to invisible to the naked eye just to see what it would collect.....anyone have a line on a cheap 5 gallon barrel of the stuff :dontknow:

And that's the thing. This stuff is so small, that it is invisible until a substantial amount of dust collects on my dust pan. Going to get it tested after work today. Please don't feel that I'm taking offense to any of yalls comments, as I knew there would be skeptics lol Y'all have a good day, and I will let everyone know what my testing reveals :)

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GUESS.......... is that it is not gold.
If it were gold, there would likely be a FEW... if not many slightly larger pieces embedded with it.
When I say larger... I mean like 200 - 400 mesh gold.
But you never know, hence the test.
My wife tells me I'm right 25% of the time... that's pretty good odds.
:)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this finds someone who can apply this. *There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. *Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. *If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. *If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled. *

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. *Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. *There are objects called an electret. *These are like diamagnets. *They are the exact opposite of a magnet. *Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. *They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. *Take some fine gold powder or flakes. *Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. *The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. *You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. *Try it where humidity is low for best results. *Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets. *

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. *You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. *This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery.

I hope someone finds this info useful. *Give me some credit if you find a use.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this finds someone who can apply this. *There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. *Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. *If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. *If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled. *

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. *Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. *There are objects called an electret. *These are like diamagnets. *They are the exact opposite of a magnet. *Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. *They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. *Take some fine gold powder or flakes. *Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. *The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. *You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. *Try it where humidity is low for best results. *Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets. *

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. *You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. *This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery.

I hope someone finds this info useful. *Give me some credit if you find a use.

Makes perfect sense. I was wondering why the gold dust clung to my dust pan so well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it as gold it would slide down with just a little bit of tapping on the pan.Even at that size when wet it would act like gold in the pan. All the metals you mention though Diamagnetic will move to the bottom of your pan with some physical manipulation. Your pan is not the right type of plastic to create the charge you would need to prevent it.

There are a few products out there mainly dry washers that use the principal.

There are a few thousand rivers and creeks in the world that have no gold in them yet if you went and hunted down cracks and did what you did you would have the same result..a finger covered in very fine mica...heck go to an area with a lot of exposed granite that is rotting away. Find a low area you will find old dry puddles with clay like mud, lots of black sand and at first glance a lot of fine " gold" powder. Color doesn't mean all that much.

I hope its gold but...I'm 90% sure it isn't

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread