Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree1048Likes

Thread: Found this gold dust in 3 minutes

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4359 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    funniest thing I've heard all week. I guess I need to work on my sarcasm!
    Well, it couldn't hurt! This would be a process much more aligned with mercury. However, the LAST thing anyone should be doing is introducing more mercury to a river!! I just assumed this was something you had tried. Sounded weird to me, but hey, I really don't know everything. ...Honestly!
    mytimetoshine and reptwar1 like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4359 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Mike, I dare you to walk into your local drug store and ask if you can get Vaseline by the barrel!

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    882 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    In a well ventilated area....Take a test tube, add some muriatic acid (HCl), add a sample of your gold, add a little bleach.

Did it turn the solution yellow? Yes = Gold! Greenish yellow = copper and gold.

Recover with sodium metabisulphite (in stores selling brewing supplies). It will form a brownish black precipitate of gold.
    reptwar1, Thurman and Aufisher like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1578 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Last edited by johnedoe; Jul 05, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
    reptwar1 and Oregon Viking like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

May 2013
    2156 times
    I try never to use the term "100%"........................ unless I KNOW... it's 100% after testing with my own eyes and hands.
    That's why we test so much.
    It's worth 15 bucks to just test it.
    If it's that fine, go straight to the 18 or 22k bottle.

10K, 14K, 18K, 22K, Gold and Platinum Test Kit 10K, 14K, 18K, 22K, Gold and Platinum Test Kit [GLD22PLATKIT] - $17.99 : Scales-n-Tools.com, Enjoy our Selection, Price, and Convenience.
    Gold Hog Sluice Matting and Highbankers www.GoldHog.com

Jan 2013
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike(swWash) View Post
    I've thought about trying the Vaseline covered sheet thing here on the coastal beach where the gold is -100 to invisible to the naked eye just to see what it would collect.....anyone have a line on a cheap 5 gallon barrel of the stuff
    And that's the thing. This stuff is so small, that it is invisible until a substantial amount of dust collects on my dust pan. Going to get it tested after work today. Please don't feel that I'm taking offense to any of yalls comments, as I knew there would be skeptics lol Y'all have a good day, and I will let everyone know what my testing reveals

May 2013
    2156 times
    My GUESS.......... is that it is not gold.
    If it were gold, there would likely be a FEW... if not many slightly larger pieces embedded with it.
    When I say larger... I mean like 200 - 400 mesh gold.
    But you never know, hence the test.
    My wife tells me I'm right 25% of the time... that's pretty good odds.
    reptwar1, johnedoe and Aufisher like this.
    Gold Hog Sluice Matting and Highbankers www.GoldHog.com

Jan 2013
    220 times
    I hope this finds someone who can apply this. *There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. *Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. *If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. *If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled. *

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. *Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. *There are objects called an electret. *These are like diamagnets. *They are the exact opposite of a magnet. *Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. *They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. *Take some fine gold powder or flakes. *Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. *The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. *You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. *Try it where humidity is low for best results. *Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets. *

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. *You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. *This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery.

I hope someone finds this info useful. *Give me some credit if you find a use.

Jan 2013
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by reptwar1 View Post
    I hope this finds someone who can apply this. *There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. *Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. *If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. *If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled. *

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. *Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. *There are objects called an electret. *These are like diamagnets. *They are the exact opposite of a magnet. *Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. *They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. *Take some fine gold powder or flakes. *Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. *The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. *You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. *Try it where humidity is low for best results. *Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets. *

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. *You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. *This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery.

I hope someone finds this info useful. *Give me some credit if you find a use.
    Makes perfect sense. I was wondering why the gold dust clung to my dust pan so well.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    8644 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If it as gold it would slide down with just a little bit of tapping on the pan.Even at that size when wet it would act like gold in the pan. All the metals you mention though Diamagnetic will move to the bottom of your pan with some physical manipulation. Your pan is not the right type of plastic to create the charge you would need to prevent it.

There are a few products out there mainly dry washers that use the principal.

There are a few thousand rivers and creeks in the world that have no gold in them yet if you went and hunted down cracks and did what you did you would have the same result..a finger covered in very fine mica...heck go to an area with a lot of exposed granite that is rotting away. Find a low area you will find old dry puddles with clay like mud, lots of black sand and at first glance a lot of fine " gold" powder. Color doesn't mean all that much.

I hope its gold but...I'm 90% sure it isn't
    Aufisher likes this.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    2510 times
    hey you're back, So how did that work out for you, with "chisbrns" advice in the thread "sheet in a stream to catch gold"
    Last edited by winners58; Jul 06, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

Jan 2013
    220 times
    Somebody mentioned that there is "very little gold in Arkansas".... The gold in the pan in my profile pic came from two 5 gallon buckets. I won't beg you to believe me though lol

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    2261 times
    This is ridiculous. do everyone a favor and go buy a test kit for 20 bucks. test your dust and then come back and apologize for ignoring all the advice given.
    Aufisher likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Jan 2013
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    This is ridiculous. do everyone a favor and go buy a test kit for 20 bucks. test your dust and then come back and apologize for ignoring all the advice given.
    I'm getting it tested after I get off work sir

Jan 2013
    220 times
    And I owe nobody an apology, as I have been polite and have no problem taking advice. Why every time I'm on here, there's someone like you? Lol

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links