McClintock V BLM a little help.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Natural Resources Committee Oversight Field Hearing: “Improving Federal Land Management and Use to Better Serve Las Vegas Valley Communities”

July 26, 2016

Speeches

Opening Statement of Subcommittee Chairman Tom McClintock
House Committee on Natural Resources
Subcommittee on Federal Lands
Oversight Field Hearing: “Improving Federal Land Management and Use to Better Serve Las Vegas Valley Communities”

July 26, 2016
I want to thank Chairman Bishop and Congressman Hardy for holding this hearing today and to thank both of them for their leadership in the House on behalf of so many communities throughout the West that are affected by federal land ownership.

As I flew in today I couldn’t help but notice how vast are the empty and unutilized lands of Nevada, stretching as far as the horizon. And then I reflected on the testimonies of our witnesses today, who tell of how the region’s economy suffers from a great shortage of land — for homes and shops, businesses and infrastructure. What an irony — and what a commentary about the harm that is being done by the decisions of our federal land managers.

I am also struck by the complete disconnect between the written testimony of the BLM’s director for the State of Nevada and the testimony of the locally elected representatives of the people of Clark County.

The federal land manager boasts of the collaborative and cooperative relationship he has fostered between the federal and local governments. He tells of his abiding interest in accommodating the prosperity of the region in his decisions.

Yet Clark County’s elected representatives tell a very different story of BLM indifference, micro-management and interference in critical land use decisions.

In addition, we will hear testimony that BLM mismanagement is doing enormous economic harm to the region, threatening increasing unemployment, stagnating or declining wages and a deteriorating quality of life for the people of Southern Nevada.

Congressman Hardy has often spoken of this in our Committee, but I don’t think I ever fully appreciated the extent of the problem in southern Nevada until his invitation to come here today.

The Federal Lands Subcommittee of the Natural Resources Committee is pursing three over-arching objectives:
to restore public access to the public lands;
to restore sound management of the federal lands;
and to restore the federal government as a good neighbor to the communities directly impacted by the federal lands. The written testimony today tells me we have a long ways to go.

I’m particularly concerned with testimony that the BLM gives short shrift to the economic impact caused by its decisions involving the roughly 85 percent of Nevada that it controls. This has obviously created an artificial land shortage in one of the most expansive and undeveloped regions of our country and is damaging the economy of southern Nevada.

I am incredulous to learn that, once Congress has provided for the use of lands for critical public safety purposes such as flood control, the BLM would directly and deliberately interfere with the operation of these facilities in the most incompetent manner conceivable.

I also want to hear more about reports that BLM is requiring homebuilders to obtain mining permits for the simple act of grading lots. This ludicrous interpretation of BLM’s authority is significantly inflating the cost of new housing, impeding the economy, causing uncertainty in the residential sector, and pushing young families out of the new home market.

The testimony suggests that working with the BLM here has become an onerous, expensive and time-consuming process. It also suggests an attitude at BLM that the federal bureaucracy knows the needs of local communities better than the local communities themselves.

BLM is currently revising the Las Vegas Field Office Resource Management Plan, which guides the management of BLM lands around the city and includes BLM’s decisions regarding parcels of land that have already been leased to the County or other municipal entities and the identification of parcels for potential disposal or lease.

Today I would urge the BLM to craft a Resource Management Plan that accommodates economic growth in the city, identifies adequate parcels for disposal or lease, and doesn’t needlessly lock up lands needed for economic development, infrastructure, housing or other community projects.

Finally, I am interested in learning today how much of this harm is created by ideological zealots in this administration, and how much is a result of laws that Congress needs to reform.
The committee is here today to take note and to make change, and I once again thank Congressman Hardy for his insistence that we come here to see for ourselves.
# # #

Issues:
Government Regulation, Natural Resources Committee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the stomach churns as the story of insanity at the BLM not only continues, but expands to unmanageable bounds sic sic sic-John

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who could possibly forget ole slick willy and babbling bruce babbit! to me they were the biggest push for the wacoenviromentalists!
And Dale Bumpers, senator from Ark..The 3 miner's nightmares

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the little bribe to calm the natives. Just in time for McClintock to show they are doing the right thing.

The nonsense about BLM requiring mining permits to grade private building lots is B.S. Never happened, never will just a distraction for the eastern masses.

The BLM is not your friend but Congress needs to step up and do their job instead of relying on presidential agencies like the BLM to interpret the law's meanings. How Congress does that is up to the voters. Write your congresscritter if you want change. Harping on the BLM will never change the way they do things. New laws directing their actions will. Make Congress define the meaning of their Acts and the president will be bound to instruct the BLM to act properly. Anything less and you are just wishing in one hand.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
AGREED!! BUT to many people want to complain and DONT want to do ANYTHING about it , except complain!!!! And when someone does try to help correct things , theres ALWAYS some that complain about it because "their" views weren't heard! And so we continue this bickering amoungst ourselves and the wacoenviromentalist LOVE IT! and sometimes they use this against us in the courts!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea when I saw the mining permit for grading private home sites??? Not, that a lot of this rings true-ish but, like Barry says you can't change blm via blm

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me that no matter who is doing the talking, be it the BLM or the local politicos the general populace NEVER gets the straight and skinny.

As miners we feel the heavy hand of the Burro of Land Mismanagement on a regular basis as they and the Forest Circus do their best to expand their level of influence and control over the public lands. We've all heard the stories of their personnel attempting to write their own rules on the fly. This is one reason (out of many) that it is so important for each and every user of public lands, be they miner, off-roader, hikers or hunter to know the laws better than they do. Know exactly what their limits of authority are and know how to tell when those limits are being exceeded. If your rights are being trampled on and you do nothing about it, the only thing you can expect is to have those rights taken away from you!

We've been over this countless times here on the forum but it's something that has to become second nature to all public land users. Clay is 100% right in saying that Congress needs to step up and do their jobs. However they can't do that if we the people don't tell them what we want. They get enough people telling to get off their collective duffs and reign in these agencies that are overstepping their mandates, they'll have no choice but to act or face loosing their cushy jobs during the next go round of elections.

Note to Mods... This is NOT intended as a political statement in any way shape or form. No candidate endorsements are give or implied. No animals be they donkey or elephant were harmed during the writing of this post. No environmental laws were broken and no discharge of pollutants took place.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Some people wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have someone to blame.

Then they don't know what they are complaining about to begin with! They need tobe educated in the laws like GI has stated in the previous post! until then , they are just venting HOT AIR and NOT getting anything accomplished!!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a good read posted on july 28th

letter sent by Galice Mining District in February to the Committee on Natural Resources
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=807855189314188&id=400021560097555

Louis Gohmert
1121 ESE Loop 323, Ste 206
Tyler, TX, 75701

Tom McClintock
2200A Douglas Blvd, Suite 240
Roseville, CA 95661

Doug Lamalfa
2862 Olive Highway
Suite D
Oroville, CA 95966

Committee on Natural Resources
United States House of Representatives