Where to send ore for assay

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to find a good place to send gold ore for an assay. I will explain. I set a square yard of burlap in a gold bearing river, coated with fish oil, and let it set for almost a month. When I retrieved it, I burnt it in a Pyrex bowl, and was left with a 1" x 3/4" charcoal looking Rock. Broke it in half, and there are visible specks of gold and copper throughout. So this time, I'm setting up 10 of the same sized burlap pieces, and upon retrieval, I'd like to have it assayed. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have 30 grams of mysterious black burlap rocks you can get an assay without collecting more river mud on your fish oil. No need for quantity for an accurate assay since you have already concentrated your samples. What you have is not "ore".

I use Copperstate lab. They are IAS certified and do a quick turnaround. Been in business since 1981 and are used by many miners.

You will want the fire assay. XRF and other non destructive testing methods are worthless for analyzing precious metals content. A concentrate Fire Assay will run you about $125.

You might want to double check the solubility and high heat reaction of your samples before you send them to any lab for a Fire Assay. If you contaminate the assay equipment with plastics or industrial waste there might be an additional recovery charge.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread