What Off Limit Places Would You Wish to Mine?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I read some article that said under one city was a vein 2ft thick! Now, that article could be completely bogus, but got me thinking....

What places In the U.S. are off limits for whatever reason, if you could, would you like to mine?

Another example is a hardrock mine not too far from me. In that mine, they showed us the gold bearing rock, They are not allowed to touch it! So, it was turned into a tourist place..

I'm sure this is like this in many places!

Ok, just for fun, under what city,Housing development,military base etc... or for whatever ever reason......., what dirt or rock would you like to get your hands on that is "off limits"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were blasted shut by the owners. Lots of them right here in my area. I've re-opened one myself. Many had some small crawl holes dug into the top for access but in the last 5 years the guv has sealed many of them. I got lots of gold and raised my kids in the mines along Yankee Jim's Rd. Last year the guv came in and sealed them all and put animal vents in the front...
I know of a lot of them in So Kal and Nev that have bars on them mostly to allow for bat habitat [for lack of a better word]

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Hard rock mining in California these days would involve going through years and years of permit stuff....and then there's the cost of equipment,timbers,labor,etc.Why someone would want to invest seven million to get 6 million or less back dosen't compute in any economy.The BLM in California has an expandable foam program to close up abandoned adits,shafts and tunnels air shafts and prospect holes Probably not done on current up to date claims,unless requested.It was featured on one of the Dirty Jobs T.V. show.They estimated there were 40,000 of these in the state.Hell,there's probably that many in my county(Calaveras)alone.I believe this service is also available for private property as well that contain the previously mentioned openings

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard rock mining in California these days would involve going through years and years of permit stuff....and then there's the cost of equipment,timbers,labor,etc.Why someone would want to invest seven million to get 6 million or less back dosen't compute in any economy.The BLM in California has an expandable foam program to close up abandoned adits,shafts and tunnels air shafts and prospect holes Probably not done on current up to date claims,unless requested.It was featured on one of the Dirty Jobs T.V. show.They estimated there were 40,000 of these in the state.Hell,there's probably that many in my county(Calaveras)alone.I believe this service is also available for private property as well that contain the previously mentioned openings

I saw that show....Where I use to live in Ohio, there were a lot of old coal mine shafts, we were always told to stay out of them as kids, .......but...You know how that works. I never went in far,Not far enough to ever find a coal cart I wanted! some of them were just chasing the coal seam so they were maybe 3 or 4 ft high, that got a little scary others were like big rooms off of tunnels. Anyhow, they would close up the openings, and a couple years later kids (huh hmmmm) or just water would open them back up in a different place. Some they had to fill with concrete to keep roads from collapsing and even a major interstate that kept sinking that went through that area...Interstate 77

Hard rock mines are probably a little harder to open back up though!:laughing7:

Last edited:

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camp Pendleton Cal. Right where the nuclear plant meets Pendleton on the beach is black sand city . Theres a knoll that runs down to the beach and i believe it's loaded with gold. Been there seen it. Also up in the hills it;s a big place ,i drove Amtracs all over the place.Should of have had a detector instead of a m-16 . lol

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....here..
Dredge!!

North-Fork-of-the-Smith-Forrest-English-KS-Wild.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some areas on the Ft. Irwin base (NTC) in California that I'd like to have had a chance to test. Only problem is that most of them would be turning up explosive rounds of all types as you dig. When I was there back in the 70s I hadn't gotten into prospecting yet so that was a missed chance.

Another area would be in the Lake Meade National Recreation Area. Lots of gold within its borders but get caught by Ricky Ranger and your gear is gone and big time fines. You're not even allowed (from what I've been told) to have an operational metal detector with you in your car. I find it interesting that so many others get to pursue THEIR form of recreation within the borders of LMNRA but prospectors can't!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Camp Pendleton Cal. Right where the nuclear plant meets Pendleton on the beach is black sand city . Theres a knoll that runs down to the beach and i believe it's loaded with gold. Been there seen it. Also up in the hills it;s a big place ,i drove Amtracs all over the place.Should of have had a detector instead of a m-16 . lol

I know the beach you're talking about. There's only a couple of problems with it. First you'd end up getting run over by a LCAC (Big Hover craft for those that don't know) Second that area was formed by erosion from east/west running ridges. That ridge across I-5 from the area you're talking about is pretty new in geological terms. The area it flows through is a gem bearing ridge without much gold in it. In San Diego County, the east/west running ridges usually don't have much gold but you can sure find a lot of gems if you know where to look. The North/South running ones have the majority of the gold. I grew up running around those mountains and know them very well.

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Here in Grass Valley/Nevada City, if I could I would MD and dig up folks yards in Nevada City! The ancient rivers ran right thru town. Cascade Shores would be good, but they built homes all over! An area called Rich Hill would be good too!

They always do this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread