Looking to go out west for a while and maybe buy a couple of claims. Placers if possi

OP
OP
F

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible. One north for winter
South for summer. Wanna fly out and test em first . Any ideas guys

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just all over the west earlier this summer. I looked at a bunch of claim ads. What areas are you really interested in? You can call Travis Holcombe up by Riggins Idaho. His site is goldproperties4sale.com
Do you know the difference between patented and un-patented claims and the rules regarding each type?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir. I know the difference . Been prospecting South Carolina a
Long time. We don't have either here.

OP
OP
F

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life changes , just w t to head west and get a
Place I can park a camper in the middle of gods country

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good God! be careful buying a claim. There are so many crooks and cheats selling claims these days. I would suggest you join a local club that has claims in your areas of interest, cheaper, easier, and faster than buying a claim, plus you will get some great local expertise. If you must by a claim, spend a hole bunch of time and some $ looking into the individual you are thinking about buying from. If you are looking in CA the only person that I have run across that I would trust is Josh Reinke but don't take my word on him, do your own checking.

OP
OP
F

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I'm here guys . I ran a small prospecting store, ex took it too. That's why I'm headed west

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life changes , just w t to head west and get a
Place I can park a camper in the middle of gods country

Idaho or western Montana. I've been all over both. Very familiar with much of the backcountry and national forest roads. Also been all over Utah and Arizona and Wyoming

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mylandmatters.org is a site ran by our very own Clay Diggins it is for all outdoorsmen and list valuable info for a miner doing research check it out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the final chapter for me guys and I ain't lettin anybody screw it for me
This is an easy thing to believe. Unfortunately, the "bad guys" get a lot more practice scamming folks than we do on an individual basis of learning how NOT to be scammed.

Whether you choose to buy a claim from someone else or find your own, there's ONLY one thing you can do to prevent it from being a crap shoot. And that is, sample, sample, sample. If the claim holder won't let you sample, then just walk away.....or run! If someone shows you a vial and says they got that much in 1 weekend of digging, don't believe them - even if it's a small amount. There's always the chance that there is no gold on the property...or at least no discovered gold.

Trust yourself. Lots of times folks have gone to a used car lot and then test driven a car, thought it was great, then found out later about the problems. Even if you find a nice property that has gold, go further and find out if there are any restrictions that might prevent you from getting that gold. Like, maybe the land is allowed for hand panning only, or some such thing. Maybe the land is on a Reservation, and therefore has additional laws/rules that need to be considered.

And finally (ok, ok...stop cheering! :tongue3:), you're looking for a place that is RV accessible, yet has gold. If you're looking for enough to fill a small vial every month or two, no prob. But easy access means that there is a greater chance that others would have found such easy-access claims. I know it doesn't sound ideal, but don't limit yourself to "pretty and natural" areas - areas with a great view. Some folks are mining in Arizona or Nevada or Southern California. Desert areas in many cases, and no water to boot. Lots of experienced miners in such less-than-perfect locations because that was the best spot they found. Is ok to look, but don't let your time run short to where you get anxious and stop thinking clearly and rationally.

There's lots of folks out there who are honest and have their place, so would actually help a newbie get a foothold. I've never met Clay Diggins, but I HAVE to believe he is one of these honest folks. His website has done more to help folks than most any site out there. Just always use caution - and common sense!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colorado and Arizona are both good choices. We have good gold here in my state too but I wouldn't recommend trying to find one here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread