California Claim site start ups, camp builds and plans.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I'm asking because I will be setting up a little site and have plans to make a clearing for a tent and tool shed. Also the thought of securing a site from animals and peoples. Does anyone use metal barrels with lids as stashes. So many questions.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, you can secure a site if its written that way in you PoO or Occupancy permit it has to be reasonably incidental to your mining.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472341758.482656.jpg here a setup I like that I seen on a Facebook site from east fork miners.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool read! A the insight in the life of the mountains! Im not from down south. The picture is only the idea of setting up ,I'm in central California actually and will be prospecting a little more north.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bears up NorCal way can really mess with your camp, leave the tent unzipped and keep your food way up in the air on an aircraft quality steel cable that you've made small loops at each end. Typical throw a paracord over a high tree limb and use that to string the cable over the limb. Use a pulley on one end with more paracord to hoist your two bags of food up high, about 12 feet off the ground usually is good enough but of course keep them away from the main tree trunk. With the food safe you can now tend to business as needed. A rope between two trees acts as a ridgeline for a tarp tent though the bugs can get at you but being covered keeps the rain off of you. This makes for a simple camp and gets you going. Best of success...............63bkpkr

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Winners58 the best thing (the guy that is in this video) would have been NOT to make it! What he did is fine with me BUT he brought lots of attention to himself in them LA mtns and the wacoenviromentalists from the city! I wanted to comment there myself but didn't want to hear their Waco crying!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Best advise I can give you is to follow the K.I.S.S. method. Remember that what you bring in.... You've also got to bring out at some point. Keep everything cleaned up while you're there and leave it cleaner than it was when you found it. Do that and the powers that be will have no reason to hassle you.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be packing everything in and out but would like to leave a stash of hand tools ( being heavy ) and such but not a mess by all means. I m thinking like a small clearing for my tent setup with a fire ring. Something I can call camp. I like the hanging the food up in the tree idea. What about something like this picture.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472483536.676924.jpg I would like something like this tool shed but Iam sure it would be damaged as soon as someone seen it.

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would it take to get something like this up with the proper way and mind.no glass

T

Tuolumne

Is this a simple placer claim? Are you moving more than a significant amount if yards, over 1,000?

I thought building structure was a no no....

Any structure would bring the heat from regulators, at least in my area they would think you are a tender for cartel grow site.....

How about a tent and wagon to haul your gear.....

I haven't seen any California claim with new sheds. Only thing close is the ruins from past mining...

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen some fairly extensive camps that seem to remain un touched by the USFS, not sure about BLM but I have seen enough in the woods to think that as long as it pertains to mining and can be removed eventually you might be ok. One site Ive seen had a lot of camp and mining gear stashed in tubs, tables and chairs and places for tents. I think the building is where it gets fishy, but I have also seen claims with brand new tool sheds on them as well..

OP
OP
B

Burrows

Mar 1, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Whites V Sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be a journey no doubt and I will definitely make sure not to give us miners and prospectors a bad image. Please keep all and any ideas posted as i am looking to make a good site and look forward making something great. And will post pictures as they come. One claim and many years to grow.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be a journey no doubt and I will definitely make sure not to give us miners and prospectors a bad image. Please keep all and any ideas posted as i am looking to make a good site and look forward making something great. And will post pictures as they come. One claim and many years to grow.

Sounds like you are planning on living on your claim part of the year? If this was the 1970's (or your claim was in Alaska) that might fly.

Most people in California do not want to see sheds and shelters scattered all over the public lands.
Remember you have a mining claim - not surface rights. People should still be able to use that piece of ground for hiking, fishing, nature viewing, ect. ect.

There are claims around here where they leave tents/chairs/tables set up on their claim to discourage people from using that piece of public land.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
ive come upon a few claim camps while hunting. theyre just a few things covered under a tarp and branches. highly doubt you can build a structure on public land without a permit. bears can be a problem, and stringing your food up is good measure, but no guarantee. i have seen bears break blue oak limbs down to get acorns. dozens of trees with no branches left! I saw them do it

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If I remember correctly, you can't build any type of structure without an approved Plan of Operation. AKA: The dreaded POO. A POO has to state that you will be building temporary structures, what their planned use is etc etc etc and it must be approved by the powers that be. Your best bet is to stick to tents that are easy to set up and take down. I've never heard of a miner being hassled about his tent. When I go out for extended trips, I use a 10' X 20' job that has a ton of room for me and my gear. Although it's a bit of work to set up a tent that size, I can do it up by myself. It has stood up to some strong monsoon storms out here in AridZona with only a few extra guy ropes added.

If you do decide to go with a tent, get the best you can afford! It may cost you more at first, but extra years of use can pay off in the long run. Keep in mind what gear you will be storing in the tent, how much room you need/want for your bunk area and then go a little bigger just in case. Never EVER store food in it! This isn't only for bears, but also ants and other creepy crawlies which can get into any place they want to. Last thing you want is to have them infest your bedroll!!! Take a little time to inspect the area you want to set it up in for ant hills etc and always use a good heavy ground cloth under the tent. A little site prep will go a long way towards making sure you're comfortable for the long haul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread