Thanks Caltrans

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Highway widening project. Caltrans dug out a stretch of river bank and deposit the material a couple miles away. A pass of the Whites sent off a song of chirping and I loaded the Camry like a dump truck. Stealing, yes. I'll do it again. The California Dirt Police "CDP" are coming to my house tomorrow I'm sure. Winter panning at home when the high water comes! IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0421.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 170
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
its kinda ironic that the highway department can harm the fish and disrupt the river and the dredgers cant.........and some companys (wacofriendly) can do the same!!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago some government entity [ I don't remember what] used to reshape the gravels in the East fork of the San Gabriel with bull dozers. You should have seen the dredgers in there at night !!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you get complaints, Tell them you will return the dirt after removing some of its impurities

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAHOO GET'R DONE-kudos as we've been doing it on hi way widening project here also...no pics....no evidence-John

DXBDave

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAHOO GET'R DONE-kudos as we've been doing it on hi way widening project here also...no pics....no evidence-John

If the material is dumped on an area that is not claimed and within public lands. Not using mechanized equipment with 100 yards of the water.....would it be illegal? I.E. no evidence. Seems like just dirt on the side of the road(nice dirt with hidden goodies)
....and that should be free game. I respect your opinion, whats your take?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the material is dumped on an area that is not claimed and within public lands. Not using mechanized equipment with 100 yards of the water.....would it be illegal? I.E. no evidence. Seems like just dirt on the side of the road(nice dirt with hidden goodies)
....and that should be free game. I respect your opinion, whats your take?

My company (a street sweeper company) does a lot of jobs for Caltrans. Not directly, but via paving contractors who re-pave the freeways. We work in conjunction with asphalt, tack-oil, etc... As such, I have had years of experience around Caltrans inspectors. And had lots of Caltrans contracts to see and sign, etc....

And to answer your question: I have absolutely no doubt in-my-mind, that if you passed your "pressing question" through enough caltrans lawyers, pencil pushers, and bored desk-bound bureaucrats, that you will eventually find someone that says you can't even-so-much as pick up a rock on the side of the road. Afterall, that "rock belongs to caltrans".

And SO TOO can I probably find some law or rule that forbids by 7 yr. old daughter from picking up seashells on the beach for her grade-school art project. Afterall, it probably violates the "harvest and remove" verbiage of state beaches here, eh ?

But seriously now dude: If you just "walked along the road and detected" there, do you *really* think anyone cares less ? Probably not. Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions, and you won't get silly answers.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal trans "active" construction sites are closed sites for the public safety-their take not mine simply ask ez to do-Moral of the story is a fool will get busted on some,some not,jus' sayn' better KNOW from the source and not net bull-John

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dizzy

Thanks again for fixing photos for this board. I was getting a crick in my neck trying to oogle the photos.....:thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Cal trans "active" construction sites are closed sites for the public safety....

Then simply go when they're not working. They only have a 10-ish hour work day each day afterall.

.... a fool will get busted on some....

Do you know of any stories of someone "getting busted by caltrans" (tickets? fines ? Jail?, etc...) for detecting their rock piles ? If so, please let us know.

...simply ask ez to do....

Sure. And see my above post. You will get a "no". So too would you get a "no" if you asked if you could spit on sidewalks, etc.... You will just get a desk-bound lawyer to give the "safe" answer. Fine. Ask away. Be sure to use words like "dig", and "indian bones" and "treasure", etc..... Afterall, you can't be too safe. Wouldn't want them to misunderstand the full implications of your question, eh ?

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mcordell, let me give you a hand with that material. It'll take me a little while to get there but...

A little scraping.....
IMG_0096.JPG

A little loading.....
IMG_1003-2.jpg

I'm on the way.....
IMG_0998-2.jpg

Just kidding of course, but we sure do have some fun toys that would be great for prospecting. I work for Caltrans here in the very northwest corner of the state.

Mike

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
It ain't illegal unless they catch ya!

Sometimes ya just gotta take your chances!Risk vs. reward!

"No harm, no foul" as they say in the NBA

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So too would you get a "no" if you asked if you could spit on sidewalks, etc.... You will just get a desk-bound lawyer to give the "safe" answer. Fine.

I get a chuckle on all new car commercials. You have to look hard and fast and you will see small gray words saying

"Dramatization. Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt.”

No matter how fast they drive or mommy dropping little girl at school the lawyers get that blurb inserted.

What next? A commercial for McDonald's coffee saying "warning coffee is hot do not pour on your crotch"
(Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants August 18, 1994)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Dramatization. Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt. Seriously dude, cars don't fly"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread