Big Meadow Campground in Stanislaus NF

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

I will be camping at Big Meadow campground outside of Arnold CA this weekend with the family. Of course, I am interested in poking around for a little gold while in the area if possible. I know we have claim information available online via websites like mylandmatters but I have never had success in confidently identifying land status (I'm new to using maps). I called the ranger station that oversees the campground and was told that the Stanislaus river runs nearby and is open for prospecting as long as there are no claims.

I know I may seem lazy...(or stupid). But does anyone know if there is any open river in the Big Meadow campground area that can be prospected? Any advice or insight will be much appreciated. Everyone have a great Labor Day Weekend and get that GOLD!! :headbang:

Upvote 0

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
From what I've researched, there's not a significant history of claims in that area. You might have to run down the hill a little way to get some color. I've heard talk about camp 9 road. It runs along the MF Stanislaus at the mouth of New Melones Res. There is also the public area on Italian Bar Road near the LDMA camp but you would have to drive 1 to 1.5 hours to get there.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big open area on the S.F. Stanislaus.It starts about a 1/4 downstream from the LDMA camp. You can bet it has been hit very hard through the years. You can still do OK with a bit of effort.There used to be a few GPAA claims in the area.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
There is a big open area on the S.F. Stanislaus.It starts about a 1/4 downstream from the LDMA camp. You can bet it has been hit very hard through the years. You can still do OK with a bit of effort.There used to be a few GPAA claims in the area.

To piggy back on this, work high benches 20-40' above the current water line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread