Steak size nugget found

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw it over in Treasure in the news as well. Thought it might get the blood boiling !

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cut off A Slice And Send It this Way Chug

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the size of an at-bone steak, whatever that is, lol.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Um yes... I would like the steak sized nugget with a side of mashed potatoes please" :P

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well I would take that nugget, but if some restaurant tried to sell that as a steak to me they would get hit with said steak.

GoldDiggerBill

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could find 100 of those. Would love to find something like that. Where I am from I tend to only find black sand. Found 1 piece of color since I have started panning. It was a flake. So when I get to New Mexico I plan on hopefully getting more color.

Looks like that guy got pretty lucky.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it will sell better as a specimen then as in weight?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess it will sell better as a specimen then as in weight?

Oh YEAH! Nuggets like that are not common anymore Tn. The right buyer might be willing to pay through the nose for it just so it ends up in their collection! It could go for anywhere from 4-6X spot price and maybe a bit more if there's a bidding war on it.

I'll take a steak like that any day! ...and make mine RARE!!!

GoldDiggerBill

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, Bill - where ya from? Hey...ONE flake is better than NO flakes!

I'm from Ohio. But was suppose to be moving to NM. Got a call yesterday from my boss and I'm not heading to NM just yet. They want me in SC. So now I have to research SC. Which is fine I hear it's gold rich to so panning should be fun there and I won't have to worry about dieing in the desert. Lol.

Any place in SC that you know of to pan?

T

Tuolumne

I've been prospecting woods creek since I was a little boy. Only problem is that it is mostly private property, no open land for claims, also the creek runs dry half the year. Alot of locals say he was trespassing and if he does reveal the spot the private property owner will step in to claim it! Just because the creek is famous doesn't let you trespass! The only place I know that's public is under the bridge by the Harvard mine near miner Gary's gold club land... Anything else is surrounded by houses and private unclaimable land!

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been prospecting woods creek since I was a little boy. Only problem is that it is mostly private property, no open land for claims, also the creek runs dry half the year. Alot of locals say he was trespassing and if he does reveal the spot the private property owner will step in to claim it! Just because the creek is famous doesn't let you trespass! The only place I know that's public is under the bridge by the Harvard mine near miner Gary's gold club land... Anything else is surrounded by houses and private unclaimable land!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have mined in the exact spot you speak of.. there's homeless camps/ caves and apparently it's a pretty hot party spot -not my favorite mining atmosphere being so close to a freeway/ town, but it's easy access to decent gold. In the article, it was said that he worked for a prospecting company..perhaps he had access there? :dontknow: I do doubt that he found the giant nugget under that bridge as it has been hit VERY hard due to it being the only publicly accessible part of the creek...This find made me wonder how many others make similar finds, just never say a word to anyone?

T

Tuolumne

i watched his youtube videos and he said he hiked way up the creek (private property). By the look in his eyes he didnt get it from woods creek, he got it from somewhere else and doesnt want people to know real spot Good press for the gold prospectors running the panning trips in town that posted all the vids. its not BLM land and different hoops to jump through...Miner Gary runs high bankers next to the bridge DFW makes him get bird studies to make sure there are not birds that would be nesting while he runs high bankers, at least they give him the ok...., still has unworked benches and everywhere you dig is decent flood gold. My first specimen came from that bridge and it got me hooked when I was young....... Miner John is still pulling specimens out of his load tunnels too. I know some people with private property up woods creek and lots of stacked tailings from the chinese and scattered tailings from the others lol........how about a XRF exam of the nugget in my office and a look at the matrix, we can narrow it down where it came from....lol It may be from under table mountain too but I need to inspect it lol!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are three small areas where Woods Creek is on BLM managed land. These are near Squabbletown. All the rest of the creek is on private property.

I've made you a map of that area.

Before you all run out there to find your fortune I hope you will notice there are five Active Lode Claims and one Active Placer Claim in that small area. This is where your claims research mojo comes into play. This is public and your fellow prospectors will be watching so play nice and know where those claims are before you go running out there to find the next 75 ounce Woods Creek nugget. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
T

Tuolumne

I dont think thats the creek anymore at that spot, maybe a historical ditch to run water to and fro, but to my knowledge woods creek peters out just south of Squabbletown, the head waters continue in near sawmill flat and big hill but thats not the real creek by geography standards. Bed rock is exposed in the south reaches not the headwaters unless he was working old hydro tailings..... You can walk the whole thing, woods creek, in a few hours -so the golden nugget guys saying he found it pinched between two juxtaposing bedrock slabs like a nugget getting stuck in a V "way up/out, far walk" doesn't jive with reality of up stream woods creek. Its small and runs dry every summer. They would make all sorts of ditches to bring water to columbia and sonora, and also the sonora, curtis and sullivan creeks feed into woods farther south than your map area, Where was he really? maybe the lower profile prospecting on the feeder creeks or I think down by table mountain closer to woods creek meeting Don Pedro where you can walk far and out and nobody is around.... but most likely he said woods creek to keep the heat off him and his real spot......woods creek is for real though, placer and load.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread