What is this weird little contraption?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been doing this long enough that I have seen just about every goldfarb that has been made but this is a new one on me. Does anyone out there have any info about this? Hoser?

A friend of mine got this and I have only seen these pics. From the looks of it it seems to be a miniature Knudsen bowl type centrifugal concentrator that is designed to float on the water while you feed it. Any info?? :icon_scratch:

1.jpg 2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg
5.jpg 6.jpg

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like too much fun for the state of California!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I think its a combo drill and bowl concentrator to drill lake bottoms! I designed one that fits on a flat bottom boat a year ago......just for kicks. It was really a dredge and had a glass see thru bottom! Wouldn't you love to see whats in the bottom muck of Lake Englebright or Rollins? I know I sure would!

I told my buddy to take an RV and mount it on pontoons and run a secret diving operation from it!

As I always say; "Its not illegal, unless they catch you!" LOL!

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser, you ever seen one of these????

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The company yes, long gone, but that unit is indeed strange B. 1st pic it looks like a little bowl inside but in 3rd pic missing?? Good screen for a bottom pumper dredge as I always fabricated them to prevent bps from clogging up fast. Congratulations as that is sure a strange critter for sure. Thanks much for pics..does it pump and run, looks like fun I'd enjoy trying it out for sure? John

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3rd pic is a closer view of pic 1. I agree it looks like a bowl but I dont see any pump so I think its a stand alone floating processor. I wish I could get my hands on it. I believe you feed in the top, the tails come out the chute below and gold falls into tray on bottom when you shut down.
My friend is in the process of cleaning it up and getting it running.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep studying the pictures and can't figure it out yet. Most of it looks well used or maybe moved around a lot over the years. But I don't get what it's doing. Or see any wear patterns in the paint? Interesting machine! I wonder if there was more to it? I see the loops on the side of the red thing, kind of makes me wonder if something attached with rods or something?

Looks like fun! Whatever it is! If I saw it somewhere for sale, I would have had to have it for sure!:laughing7:

The engine is Ohisson and Rice. I'm sure you've already found that.

I won't say what I think it COULD be, for fear of sounding nuts!:laughing7: But are you sure it's "prospecting" equipment? :laughing7:

It would be cool to be able to see what's inside..And what's going on in there.

Either way!! Interesting!!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know?....The more I look at this thing the more it makes no sense. I have a pretty good mechanical understanding, Usually.:laughing7:The rotating part, has notches cut into it. There is a chute at the top for something "light" to go out, what ever is going into the Notch is being formed(?),separated(?) then gets flung out the bottom?

I don't see what, or how this would even work for cons or gold in any kind of separating. And what keeps the plastic from being chewed to hell? There are no wear marks on paint, it doesn't take long for sand and gravel to do that.

You guys that have been around gold machines, How, or what would be Mechanically going on here that would make sense? And wouldn't those voids just fill up with sand? :dontknow:

pump or gear box below motor, or maybe just mounting plate, but looks like maybe more going on there. Gear reduction maybe?

Clay separator? Deseeder,trimmer,etc....:laughing7::dontknow:

When you get it figured out, I'd love to see what makes it work! And what it does!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure its not a rice or cranberry harvester?

There is a company the is called Little prospector that has a hops machine. I couldn't find when they started. I was wondering something along the same lines. Hops, even maybe a trimmer? I don't really know much about "trimming". Is that a possibility?

I spent a couple hours searching the net, determined to figure this thing out! I can't find mention of this machine anywhere. I learned all about the motor and it's different uses along the way, everything from mini bikes, hedge trimmers, models, drills,pumps, etc... I can't find mention of any prospecting equip from this company. Or anything really! Just the link below was the only thing I could find.

Here's a link...

Little Prospector Trimmer :: The Little Prospector

Last edited:

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it is a floating version of a gold spinner. It looks like a classified (screen) intake on one end and a nugget trap between the pontoons on the other.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THE LITTLE PROSPECTOR FROM THE SAME MAKERS WHO BROUGHT YOU THE TRIM REAPER TRIMMER!

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do believe this Little Prospector is some sort of floating centrifugal classifier/concentrator similar to the Gold Spinner above or a knudsen bowl.
HoJo says he remembers this company long ago but not the machine.
The Little Prospector mentioned above is a product name not a manufacturer name. This company builds bud trimmers for quickly cutting the shake off your Hops or Weed harvest.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe this Little Prospector is some sort of floating centrifugal classifier/concentrator similar to the Gold Spinner above or a knudsen bowl.
HoJo says he remembers this company long ago but not the machine.
The Little Prospector mentioned above is a product name not a manufacturer name. This company builds bud trimmers for quickly cutting the shake off your Hops or Weed harvest.

I was digging a little more...Those motors are collectible! People collect all the different tools that those motors are on. It's a small motor! That whole piece of equipment is pretty small. 60's into early 70's if I understand it right. I became obsessed with trying to track down info. today! I think I ran out of net!:laughing7:

There was also a Keene pump with this companies engine. If I find the link again I'll post it back here.

I was just throwing out ideas earlier in the thread. :laughing7:

Pretty cool stuff..I'm not sure if I'm reading the name right. I've tried all different variations I could think of...I even thought maybe "Little Inc." and the name of the product was "prospector" from the different colored wording.:dontknow:

There is even a forum dedicated to this engine and some of the known tools.

Here's a link to a collector..

Searching for Ohlsson and Rice Engines

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Dan I forgot the BEST person to ask is Randy Seden right here as he has bought any/all goldfarbs and more and posted here for at least a dozen years or more. I have --and many others-have NEVER stumped him on what is it. I'll bet a member seacrch/pm will fill your bill and reveal all. Great miner and one of the tnet oldie but goodies-John

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OMG Dan I forgot the BEST person to ask is Randy Seden right here as he has bought any/all goldfarbs and more and posted here for at least a dozen years or more. I have --and many others-have NEVER stumped him on what is it. I'll bet a member seacrch/pm will fill your bill and reveal all. Great miner and one of the tnet oldie but goodies-John

Great idea. I will invite him to post on this thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions