Flying with Gold. Any problems?

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone ever been hassled by TSA for flying with a poke of raw gold? I've heard that it is not a good idea to try and carry more than 10K in cash while getting on an airplane in fear that they will call you a terrorist or something and steal your hard earned money. Is it really a crime not to use banks these days? So, I always try to make 9999 last the winter (it's not enough) when flying to the lower 48. But what about raw gold? Should I be paranoid about getting on the jet after an OK season of mining?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Done it dozens of time within the confines of the US but if you go overseas then you must file a declaration. BUT as all rules/regs they change at least twice a year by the 1000s both state and fed. I never understood why some rapper could wear pounds of gold bling but I was hassled for over a hour for a lousy pound going to Costa Rica?? TSA website has the definitive answer but what is legal today well tomorrow may be another. Print out and pack it so no one can say squat, same same as guns and mining as I carry it all when doing the activity of choice-John

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you. I will check out the TSA website and print. Good advice.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaner the better, once a little too much black sands made them nervous.

ratled

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TSA has no way of determining the true value of raw gold nuggets (ie: % gold content) so if you have $10,000.00 worth of nuggets at spot price, declare them at $5,000.00

Coming into or out of a country. customs are worried about bringing in a disease. Don't put on your declaration form "gold." Use the words "sanitized ore speciman." If they ask how you sanitized your ore specimen, tell them you soaked it in nitric acid for 24-hrs, then neutralized the acid with baking soda and water. :skullflag:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And if your wearing that kind of weight in gold and the plan goes down over water , TAKE THE GOLD OFF QUICKLY before you jump into the water!! and let us know where you jumped in at!!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread