Gold King Mine
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Gold King Mine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    Make America Great Again

    Apr 2013
    Oregon
    1,649
    3795 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Gold King Mine

    has been added to the National Priorities List, Not just the Gold King mine the whole mining district
    Bonita Peak Mining District, 46 mines and two other tailing pile sites, the NPL doesn't assign liability but its coming.
    wasn't there a bulkhead installed on the American tunnel to separate the upper workings from the gold king.
    https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cu...cfm?id=0802497

    notice & documents; https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D...OLEM-2016-0152

    news story; https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f86f1a32264e
    & http://www.coloradoindependent.com/1...-mining-reform
    Last edited by winners58; Sep 12, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
    ratled, HardHatMatt and Aufisher like this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

  2. #2
    us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    5,854
    6701 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Can't click like as horrendous event in mining history unfolds as laws, rules, regulations and the REAL mining laws are used at tp by the radical eco anti mining industry.sic sic sic sad days -John
    russau and Aufisher like this.

  3. #3
    us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

    Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    3,465
    6156 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Wasn't the EPA responsible for the spill in the first place? I saw no mention of their part in the events that led to the spill in any of the articles. If memory serves me right, there was a working treatment program in place before the EPA showed up and started messing around with things they should have left alone. How does that old saying go? "If it's not broke....DON'T fix it!"
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

    "Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

    When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

  4. #4
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    2,347
    1862 times
    If memory serves the EPA pulled the cork out of the bottle.
    New Mexico is suing the EPA over because of this judgement error.
    The Navajo Nation is also involved in a suit.
    Aufisher and russau like this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

  5. #5

    May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    1,948
    4846 times
    Prospecting
    Maybe this group Enthusiastically Polluting America should be on the sierra clubs radar.
    Last edited by Aufisher; Sep 15, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
    russau likes this.
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

  6. #6
    us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    2,347
    1862 times
    Pollution is often unseen and because of that it's hard to have an image. This release was very visible.
    I still have that image of the river flowing poison.

    With spills like this dilution is the solution. Probably most problem waste from mining was handled by
    dumping in the nearest river in the past or walking away.
    The Gold King Mine couldn't dump their waste in the river so it looks like they just plugged
    the mine up. Maybe waiting for the Gov to fix it for them.Like burying garbage, out of sight, out of mind.

    Mining is a messy business. But it wouldn't have to be. When it is messy, criticism and more regulation
    effects all miners and prospectors.
    Aufisher likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,745
    10924 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Pollution is often unseen and because of that it's hard to have an image. This release was very visible.
    I still have that image of the river flowing poison.

    With spills like this dilution is the solution. Probably most problem waste from mining was handled by
    dumping in the nearest river in the past or walking away.
    The Gold King Mine couldn't dump their waste in the river so it looks like they just plugged
    the mine up. Maybe waiting for the Gov to fix it for them.Like burying garbage, out of sight, out of mind.

    Mining is a messy business. But it wouldn't have to be. When it is messy, criticism and more regulation
    effects all miners and prospectors.
    You might want to study the facts before you decide what the problem is. It wasn't miners or mining that caused the problems in Bonita Peak.

    The EPA plugged the mine against the strong objections of the owner. The EPA flooded the mines in that area against the objections of the mine owners and mining engineers. The EPA opened the blocked portal and flooded the creek with iron stained water. No miner caused the spill.

    There was little to no pollution released. The flow from the mines was originally remediated for many years by the maintenance of a limestone bed at the natural outflow. That's how miners do it. It was the BLM and the EPA who closed the outflow and shut down the treatment beds that were working well.

    It's doubtful now that there was any pollution released. The iron stained water was not harmful to the active waterways it traveled. The other pollutants probably didn't exist. There were some very anomalous water quality readings during that episode and we now know why. The USGS testing lab has been falsifying results for more than 20 years. It seems they had an agenda and would provide the numbers required for any particular EPA result needed.

    The Inspector General's report just released detailing the scam only covers the time since 2008 but this problem has been known to be ongoing for more than 2 decades. The lab was closed this year due to the fraud and now the U.S. doesn't have a reliable inorganic testing lab - if they ever did.

    If any miners have had problems due to surprising water quality tests it would be wise to look deeper into the testing procedures and who was involved. The USGS lab is just the tip of the EPA/Green movement rejection of the rule of law in favor of results at any cost.

    Heavy Pans

  8. #8
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

    Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    6,873
    10876 times
    Prospecting
    Good background Barry.

    One addition, the limestone lined retention/treatment/spill-prevention ponds were removed by the BLM after a local rancher complained about cattle getting stuck/injured in them. Seems they should have just fenced em off.

  9. #9
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

    Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    3,031
    4438 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    You might want to study the facts before you decide what the problem is. It wasn't miners or mining that caused the problems in Bonita Peak.

    The EPA plugged the mine against the strong objections of the owner. The EPA flooded the mines in that area against the objections of the mine owners and mining engineers. The EPA opened the blocked portal and flooded the creek with iron stained water. No miner caused the spill.

    There was little to no pollution released. The flow from the mines was originally remediated for many years by the maintenance of a limestone bed at the natural outflow. That's how miners do it. It was the BLM and the EPA who closed the outflow and shut down the treatment beds that were working well.

    It's doubtful now that there was any pollution released. The iron stained water was not harmful to the active waterways it traveled. The other pollutants probably didn't exist. There were some very anomalous water quality readings during that episode and we now know why. The USGS testing lab has been falsifying results for more than 20 years. It seems they had an agenda and would provide the numbers required for any particular EPA result needed.

    The Inspector General's report just released detailing the scam only covers the time since 2008 but this problem has been known to be ongoing for more than 2 decades. The lab was closed this year due to the fraud and now the U.S. doesn't have a reliable inorganic testing lab - if they ever did.

    If any miners have had problems due to surprising water quality tests it would be wise to look deeper into the testing procedures and who was involved. The USGS lab is just the tip of the EPA/Green movement rejection of the rule of law in favor of results at any cost.

    Heavy Pans
    I'll second what Clay said here. I grew up in Western PA so Acid Mine Drainage was common place back there. The settling basins and limestone beds work just fine. 5 years after they were installed on a mine near a stream in the town I grew up in, there were trout living in the stream. And they DO NOT tolerate any kind of pollution. And here's another little tidbit that is very rarely mentioned. If there are crayfish living in the stream, then it is NOT polluted no matter what the tests say. Crayfish are VERY intolerant of any kind of pollution including high sediment levels.

    AS for the USGS lab, yea, they are corrupt. My father in law sent in three water samples from the same source. One labeled ground water, one labeled spring water, and one labeled deep well. The ground water came back highly polluted, the spring water polluted, and the deep well was not polluted.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

  10. #10

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5,925
    4611 times
    MM , point well taken! Thanks!!
    Aufisher likes this.

  11. #11
    us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

    Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    227
    250 times
    Prospecting
    I've been lead to believe that the EPA does these sort of things so that they can just keep the cash cow rolling.. IMO its a pretty gross display of negligence on their part.
    Aufisher, Mad Machinist and russau like this.

  12. #12

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5,925
    4611 times
    Yep just look at what most gubermint agencies do , just par for the course! They got to justify their jobs somehow!!!

  13. #13
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

    Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    3,031
    4438 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineMiner View Post
    I've been lead to believe that the EPA does these sort of things so that they can just keep the cash cow rolling.. IMO its a pretty gross display of negligence on their part.
    Actually I believe this is and will continue to be done on purpose for a little longer. I think the EPA, Clinton, and Obama know that the next few elections are lost to them and they are trying to do as much damage as possible in the short time they have left.

    Without mining, we, as a country, would wither and die rather quickly. So destroy mining anyway you can and you get to rebuild in another image. If the facts don't support you position, either twist them or pay someone enough to lie about the facts.

    All of this is being saved so the next time there is a small release by a small miner, this can be referred back to as evidence in the court case. Same with sedimentation. IF there was no effect on the flora and fauna from a high level, acute exposure, then a small discharge is inconsequential. Much like the Army Corp of Engineers thoughts on a 4" or smaller dredge.

    Like I said before, when you make a deal with the Devil to gain power, you had better be ready to pay his price when he calls it due. The power and relevance the EPA HAD is fading fast.
    SunshineMiner likes this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

  14. #14
    us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

    Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    227
    250 times
    Prospecting
    And Machinist.. I have to ask.. sorry for the off topic.. but are you a Wildland FF? and if so where at?
    Mad Machinist likes this.

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    833
    1002 times
    Metal Detecting
    Supposedly there is a way to clean the water with a "high area cathode". You make a long mop head out of carbon fiber encased in a plastic pipe. Add a small platinum electrode. Supply a voltage, and reverse electroplate the water.Takes all the metals out of the water. You have to have a degree of intelligence to make it work. This makes it impractical for the government to implement.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gold King mine
    By Old Silver in forum Beale Codes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 04, 2017, 04:20 PM
  2. Eminent Gold Mine Takeover by BLM - SUGAR PINE MINE STANDOFF
    By Eldo in forum Treasure Hunting Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 22, 2015, 09:04 AM
  3. King Solomon mine, CO
    By RGINN in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 24, 2009, 12:26 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 15, 2009, 09:37 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2006, 09:09 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0