Locating available claims

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am relative newbie to gold prospecting. Could anyone point me in a reliable direction to help locate an available claim within 3 or 4 hours of Las Vegas NV. I know there are many available on Ebay, but I have heard negative comments about Ebay claims. Or, if anyone has a claim that would be interested in showing a newbie "how it's done," I would love to hear from you.

Any thoughts on simply joining the Las Vegas GPAA chapter, which is probably the route that I will be taking. I will be in Vegas for at least the first 2 weeks of October.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am relative newbie to gold prospecting. Could anyone point me in a reliable direction to help locate an available claim within 3 or 4 hours of Las Vegas NV. I know there are many available on Ebay, but I have heard negative comments about Ebay claims. Or, if anyone has a claim that would be interested in showing a newbie "how it's done," I would love to hear from you.

Any thoughts on simply joining the Las Vegas GPAA chapter, which is probably the route that I will be taking. I will be in Vegas for at least the first 2 weeks of October.

Welcome to Land Matters Your one stop shop for outdoor reasearch run by one of our own.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO NOT BUY CLAIMS ONLINE!!! or in person:sadsmiley:

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join the chapter,,, they are a wealth of information for the greenhorn and they may have some claims for you to go to.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Your best bet is to do some research into where gold has been found in the past in the area you're wanting to look in. Use that as a starting point. Then, learn how to go out and prospect. Yes, it's possible to find old mines that still have a little something left in them, but chances would be much better in trying to find something new. Knowing where gold has been found in the past gives you a good starting point.

I don't have the internet capacity to visit LandMatters, but have seen far too many people swear by it to believe it anything less than a truly awesome resource.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

1. Join the local GPAA or other mining club to get local info. I'm not a GPAA member, but I do belong to the Mohave Prospectors Assoc. which is a very active club with lots of good members.

2. Go to the MyLandMatters site and do research. It truely is a "One Stop Shop" and it's a FREE resource. Claims info is updated every two weeks like clockwork so it's always up to date. If you need help with the site, feel free to ask anytime.

3. Talk with members here that are local to the area, there's a bunch of us that are always willing to help out a beginner. Many beginners don't realize how much you need to know to be good at this. It's not dig and pray, It's research, research and then a little more research! Doing your "Due Diligence" is one of the most important parts of your research as it will keep you out of trouble down the road.

4. After you've given it a first hand try, decide how far you want to delve into the mysteries of prospecting and mining. What ever you do, always remember 3 things. Always let the terrain dictate the equipment. Always think safety first and always work smarter, NOT harder!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER EVER BUY ONLINE. You must be allowed to work the claim for at least 3 days and go to the local recorders office to see how many 100 he claimed in a day. Computer scammers abound as fraud is rampant and your due diligence is mandatory. Join a local jokel small mom and pop club to learn, associate and meet some mighty fine like minded folks who are usually more than happy to share their claims and see the pain they really are. John

OP
OP
R

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the advice. Everyone's comments were pretty much along the direction that I was intending to follow. No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel, right? Maybe I will get the opportunity to meet a few of you in October. Thanks again for the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread