Glacial gold from Canada

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thousands of years ago, the state of NY was literally carved, scrapped and gouged by glaciers. While all the time, it dropped off millions of tons of debris and gold along its' pathway. Would it be possible that gold was deposited into fissures that traverse the rapidly moving streams or rivers? I've read that small, modest quantities have been recovered by hand cleaning crevasses, but were very small quantities. I wonder if a 4" suction dredge could be used to extract gold from these crevasses. Ideas, opinions would be appreciated.

Does NY permit or prohibit dredging?

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
NC Look over Docs comments ( GoldHog.com ) on his Gold Hog matting about saving fine gold! Im in the process of acquiring some more of his matting for my 4 inch Keene dredge.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
NC - Yes, gold will work its way down into the cracks and fissures. As for sucking out the cracks using a dredge, alone, you will only have limited success. Would be better if you could flush material out of the cracks with a hose. When possible, also consider breaking the cracks open wider...presuming that you're getting gold in that area. If not, then no need expending that effort.

Try researching "gold sniping" and see what comes back.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the suggestion of flushing it out with a garden hose. However, I would elevate the pressure somewhat by using a pressure-washer. Dredging or high banking, it may work faster than using a hand tool to remove overburden in a crevasse.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figure that'll be the least problematic issue of the day. The main problem may or may not exist... does NY state have draconian regulations like the western US or not?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figure that'll be the least problematic issue of the day. The main problem may or may not exist... does NY state have draconian regulations like the western US or not?

The western US is mostly public lands.
New York has no public lands.
Apples & Oranges.

In New York you will first have to find private land that you have written permission to prospect. That should be easy, upstate New Yorker's are almost as friendly to strangers from the south as Samoans are to drunk tourists. :thumbsup:

The hard part will be finding gold where you got the permission to prospect. Few have succeeded and even fewer have paid for a sandwich from the gold they mined.

Best to stick to beaches and parks in New York if you want to find gold. The odds are better.

Heavy Pans

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with Barry. In New York, there is not enough natural gold to pay for your gas on the way to find it. However, there are gold coins lurking in the ground and all sorts of gold jewelry on our beaches and in our parks, lost by millions over hundreds of years. :occasion14:

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This means that one of the largest state parks on the east coast should be open to the likes of a four inch suction dredge... the Adirondack State Park? I've check state park reg.'s , and there is simply not a single sentence concerning prospecting, panning or dredging. Or did I Google or searched the PDF files incorrectly for dredging or panning.

Need some help here from dredgers and the like.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This means that one of the largest state parks on the east coast should be open to the likes of a four inch suction dredge... the Adirondack State Park? I've check state park reg.'s , and there is simply not a single sentence concerning prospecting, panning or dredging. Or did I Google or searched the PDF files incorrectly for dredging or panning.

Need some help here from dredgers and the like.

Virtually all of Adirondack State Park is private property. You will need to determine who owns the land and get written permission from them before you prospect.

Just as there are no permits or regulations about hunting wild elephants in Adirondack State Park there are no regulations about prospecting for gold. Neither wild elephants nor gold exist in Adirondack State Park so regulating hunting of them is not required. On the other hand the private properties in the park and activities on any river are heavily regulated by the State - including dredging.

Since you seem to be looking for someone to tell you "no" New York State is always willing to help you out on that account. You will come to understand that culture of "no" the more time you spend there.

Pursuant to Article 24 of the Environmental Conservation Law (the Freshwater Wetlands Act), Executive Law §§ 809(2)(a) and 810(1) (the Adirondack Park Agency Act), and 9 NYCRR §§ 570.2, 578.2(a), and 578.3(n)(1) and (2), within the Adirondack Park, any form of dredging, excavation, removal of soil, peat, mud, or sand, any form of pollution, or any other activity which substantially impairs the functions served by or the benefits derived from freshwater wetlands is a “regulated activity” requiring a permit from the Agency (Sections 809(2)(a) and 810(1) of the Adirondack Park Agency Act do not apply to activities undertaken by the DOT or DEC).

Good luck with that permit. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wild elephants! LMAO! Great post!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread