Digging holes on the Bear River?

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to gold mining, been at it for a little over a month. I think I've done ok, I have a few grams to show for busting my butt out there for a few 8 to 10 hour days. I've seen these big circles in the river made from rocks. I assumed they were some type of dams. Last trip out I talked to a guy working on one and it turns out they are just moving the rocks and digging holes in the river. These circles are generally in random places, not behind bolders etc. I have a few questions about this method.
1. Are these guys just picking random spots and digging holes?
2. For those that mine this way, how long does it take to start mining the hole?
3. Do you generally work the same hole a few trips worth?
4. Is it bad etiquette to dig in a hole that someone else started?
5. Is there material to run all the way down or are you just moving rocks forever until you reach finer gravel to run.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone things Down Here. !

Re-Read the Rules

[SIZE=+1]IN GENERAL[/SIZE]
Help keep the atmosphere at TreasureNet fun! Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

[SIZE=+1]FORUM GUIDELINES[/SIZE]
All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php?pageid=rules

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some lost posting privileges. Like Jeff said read the rules before you post.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets make it three mods replying... Jones we have rules, highly recommend you read them, your new here so you get a "little" leeway but we do not tolerate members attacking other members or insulting other members.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoping to hit the Bear tomorrow!

Jones McAllister

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2016
Gypsy town, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mods. I'd like to take this opportunity to show my gratitude for the help. You guys handled my out of line outbursts like Champs. It's a problem I've dealt with my whole life and it's cost me 3 wives and everything I've owned. Gold seems to be the only thing that stays with me. I've prospect edie 72.5 troy ounces out of the beautiful Sierra Nevadas and my life has finally reassembled itself.

So I need some help guys, I invented my own metal detector and need help getting a patent. It's a true variable frequency unit (0-103khz) unit that can hit up to 19" deep. I swept an area my buddy detected with his minelab 5000 and found (3) 1/8 Oz nuggets at 12-15". I have 2 seperate degrees in electronics engineering but I'm not quite as smart with legal issues and marriage. Well thanks guys, HH friends!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mods. I'd like to take this opportunity to show my gratitude for the help. You guys handled my out of line outbursts like Champs. It's a problem I've dealt with my whole life and it's cost me 3 wives and everything I've owned. Gold seems to be the only thing that stays with me. I've prospect edie 72.5 troy ounces out of the beautiful Sierra Nevadas and my life has finally reassembled itself.

So I need some help guys, I invented my own metal detector and need help getting a patent. It's a true variable frequency unit (0-103khz) unit that can hit up to 19" deep. I swept an area my buddy detected with his minelab 5000 and found (3) 1/8 Oz nuggets at 12-15". I have 2 seperate degrees in electronics engineering but I'm not quite as smart with legal issues and marriage. Well thanks guys, HH friends!

My suggestion is you post this in the metal detecting section and not on this gentlemans thread. Please check out the rules so there are no goof ups :hello:. and.... HH

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get back out for two weeks because of work, but after that I'll be there for sure. It's only 20 minutes from my house. I got to admit that guys metal detector plans sound sweet, I didn't think anything could go that deep!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So you're still counting in ounces... haha. I remember making a statement close to yours above once way back in the day... and we all have a tendency to over do it sometimes :evil6: Were you living in Utah when you had the 3 wives or did they own you at different times? hahaha.

You're going to have a hard time getting a patent and it's best to get a company interested in manufacturing for you. I have a friend who has been waiting to get his product patented because of money issues for years. And after pushing him, this year he finally got it done... but... In order to get it manufactured & trying to get a company interested in doing so is a different story even if it's the best thing going. It sounds like your metal detector would work great in working underground mines and we have found that the Minelab GPx5000 is still the king when compared to the XP Deus or the Garrett ATX, which just don't have the capabilities to deal with all of the mineralization found associated with a quartz vein and host rock that's full of minerals. Honestly, if your detector is that good then you're going to need a recognized contact that can help test it out. If you're in the Auburn area I would suggest either going into Pioneer Mining and talking to them or contact Mike Bowers who is the new President of the Goldhounds Goldhound Home and a well known detectorist. I'm sure that Mike will be able to tell you whether your machine is the best thing going right away and he will also have the contacts with different metal detecting companies to help get the ball rolling if you want to sell it to one of them. If you're planning on manufacturing it yourself, then you're taking on a whole different set of plans and will still need to get some financial backing from the sounds of it. I would start with Mike Bowers, then listen to what he has to offer.

Last edited:

Jones McAllister

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2016
Gypsy town, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're still counting in ounces... haha. I remember making a statement close to yours above once way back in the day... and we all have a tendency to over do it sometimes :evil6: Were you living in Utah when you had the 3 wives or did they own you at different times? hahaha.

You're going to have a hard time getting a patent and it's best to get a company interested in manufacturing for you. I have a friend who has been waiting to get his product patented because of money issues for years. And after pushing him, this year he finally got it done... but... In order to get it manufactured & trying to get a company interested in doing so is a different story even if it's the best thing going. It sounds like your metal detector would work great in working underground mines and we have found that the Minelab GPx5000 is still the king when compared to the XP Deus or the Garrett ATX, which just don't have the capabilities to deal with all of the mineralization found associated with a quartz vein and host rock that's full of minerals. Honestly, if your detector is that good then you're going to need a recognized contact that can help test it out. If you're in the Auburn area I would suggest either going into Pioneer Mining and talking to them or contact Mike Bowers who is the new President of the Goldhounds Goldhound Home and a well known detectorist. I'm sure that Mike will be able to tell you whether your machine is the best thing going right away and he will also have the contacts with different metal detecting companies to help get the ball rolling if you want to sell it to one of them. If you're planning on manufacturing it yourself, then you're taking on a whole different set of plans and will still need to get some financial backing from the sounds of it. I would start with Mike Bowers, then listen to what he has to offer.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the advice and I'll try getting in contact with Mike Bowers. I've heard his name thrown out a few times over the 20 years I've been dominating the mine fields. I have an add on unit that utilizes a high class ultra sound platform that is still in the works. Early testing is proving hits at 3+ feet deep. It's exciting to be in the front line and I just don't want to stutter step, fumble and drop the bowl of 7 layer dip all over the d-bags buying the toys r'us machines ya know? Also, I've held out cause I'm not sure I want everybody having detectors like "mine." No pun intended

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread