Goldfarb idea

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having gotten some color in my pan recently from dredging in Indiana, I've had the chance to see how quickly small pieces of gold work to the bottom of a tapped pan. Seeing this, I was wondering if anyone has done something using vibratory columns? The idea would be to take screened material and put it in a 1-2" PVC tube, say 24" long, with water and a small amount of surfactant. The column(s) would be set up vertically and a high frequency vibratory device (I'm sure I can find one of those on the internet...or at a shop near a truck stop) would be attached to the columns. I'm not sure if the process would stop working if the material eventually packs down to where heavy materials would stop traveling downard. If so, the columns could be turned horizontal to loosen the material and then vertical again to continue the process. Another option might be to add air from the bottom to flow up and keep the material loose. In the end, the goal would be to pull off the bottom cap and have a few tablespoons of concentrate that would contain the gold. Any thoughts?

At this point I have such a small amount of gold that I'd need to do more dredging to come up with a test sample. I guess I could do it with some lead pieces first.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Research "jigs". They're just a tad bigger, but work in a similar manner. Good thinking, though! :thumbsup:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I were to try something along those lines I would attach a water supply to the bottom and create a fluid bed with the lighter material flushing out the top. That way you could continually add new material rather than have it a batch process which is what your concept seems it would be.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Research "jigs". They're just a tad bigger, but work in a similar manner. Good thinking, though! :thumbsup:

I've seen some cool commercially available and DIY jigs. I guess I'm looking to go the simple/cheap yet still work route.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1005161915-00.jpg 1005161916-00.jpg I put one of these on my #4 classifier, and run it with a wheelchair battery. I have an extra one, all it will cost you is postage. PM if interested.https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-6200R...8-4-fkmr1&keywords=12V+vibrator+massage+motor

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I were to try something along those lines I would attach a water supply to the bottom and create a fluid bed with the lighter material flushing out the top. That way you could continually add new material rather than have it a batch process which is what your concept seems it would be.
Good luck.

I was thinking about batches but I like that idea. I think it's necessary because the first bench test really compacted the material. I had three bullets I found last week and I used my cordless drill chucked with an Allen wrench as the vibrator. The lead traveled 3" of the total 12" before stopping even though I tilted the tube horizontal twice to limit compaction. Water pushing from below should help things.

OP
OP
J

JHuck

Aug 10, 2016
Boone County Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I might be interested if I can get some type of fluid bed worked out.

With enough vibration, a fluid bed would not be necessary. One problem with fluid beds is that when trying to save very minute gold, any water pumped in from the bottom will create "some" amount of positive upflow of water, which could make it more difficult for gold particles to settle out. ...At least in theory.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With enough vibration, a fluid bed would not be necessary. One problem with fluid beds is that when trying to save very minute gold, any water pumped in from the bottom will create "some" amount of positive upflow of water, which could make it more difficult for gold particles to settle out. ...At least in theory.

That is true about the settling. Particle shape has a lot to do about it too. The thinner/flatter particles would be the ones most influenced. Closely classified feed and water induction control would help though.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have 2 120vac vibrating motors that I was thinking of making into a shop cleanup device similar to what your doing but bigger. Like most things I never got-round-to-it!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, and them round tuit's aren't easy to come by, either! :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This motor actually runs a little too fast for my liking. I stack it on my smaller classifiers, but seems not to shake the lower ones well. Need to wire in a light dimmer to reduce the speed some.

If your classifiers are simply stack-on and do not somehow clamp together, then you would lose the vibratory action from one level to the next. ...Maybe you could make quick-attach bungee strap clamps that would provide good holding pressure from the bottom classifier to the top, as well as any in between. Maybe could attach 3-4 D-loops equally around the circumference of your classifiers, then use the adjustable bungees to clamp them together. ...Might could get away with just 2 bungees, but I'd probably go with 3 or 4 just to be safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-D...e=UTF8&qid=1475751808&sr=8-4&keywords=D-rings

https://www.amazon.com/EPDM-Adjusta...708&sr=8-33&keywords=adjustable+rubber+bungee

https://www.amazon.com/ORCAS36BK-Ad...708&sr=8-37&keywords=adjustable+rubber+bungee

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I heard of a guy who took his buckets of sand, and put them on top of a fridge, and the vibration settled all the gold on the bottom of the buckets!Or, you could just buy a vibrator and put it on the bottom of the bucket and try that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread