Note on Lake Superior Sands

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last trip panned out nicely! The model 5 fluid bed highbanker finally worked. Ran a yard. Bagged a little over a gram.

Got surprized by a chunky monkey on the miller table! That chunk would catch on window screen! So any preclassifying needs to be done running 1/4" first before window screen, and pan the window screen material. Did see a couple of +/-30 in the mix too.

Nice to know there's gold bigger than flypoop on the beaches up there!

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pay day!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to hear the fluid bed is working and paying off so well!

I just finished my Michigan trip wasn't able to get to the black sands of Lake Superior but I proved there ISN'T gold in the sand at the Northernmost point on Lake Michigan or the west side of Mullet Lake (where my folks live). Ah well. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476145197.298872.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No black sand present? How about deeper down? I've hit BS at Bailey's Harbor in Door County. It was 12" down and mixed with black stained sand.

Did see black sand at Bailey Park on Hwy 35 north of Menominee. It's been 20+ years since it's been on the water's edge (1988). Also an interesting spot is Rapid River where it crosses Hwy 41. The bottom is limestone bedrock with cracks to clean. That black sand at the park moved over it to get where it is.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found a layer of black sand, just wasn't lucky enough to have gold in it :(
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476314569.659821.jpg
I probably should have dug deeper!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, on Lake Michigan it can be kinda spotty. One bucket will give 30 flakes, and the next can have nothing. Average seems to be about 1-5 per bucket. It's better near stream outlets where you get inland material coming down. Good spots have the sand looking like tiger stripes as you dig down. In any case, you have to run a lot of material to get color.

On the Superior side, I'm starting to think the gold might be from an offshore deposit rather than from Canada. That might explain the amount of black sand and the larger gold I'm seeing up there. I also am finding magnetic pea gravel on those beaches. I know there's high grade iron deposits underwater around Munising, as I've seen a compass needle dive so hard that you can't use the compass underwater, and/or the needle can be off by 180 near the bottom. There's some real iron down there if that's happening!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool thing to know, thanks.

All the best,

Lanny

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a layer of black sand, just wasn't lucky enough to have gold in it :(
View attachment 1369335
I probably should have dug deeper!

(in your best crocodile Dundee imitation)
That's not a layer of black sand........
Now this is a layer of black sand.......

unnamed.jpg

And no..... I'm not gonna tell ya where that is.....:laughing7:

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I found a layer of black sand on the shore of the Mississippi River while looking for a site to have a club outing here in Misery and it was enough to get us excited about. we planed for the outing the next weekend and when we got there the black sand beach was gone! So the morel of the story is ,"If you see it ,you better get it NOW!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Bailey park location above, I ran a 10" pan and nailed a speck then took a 2 gal sample. I'll be running that today. Surface had a couple bands like Kevin's, and 8" below that, it looks like a mixed layer. Also stopped at Kleiniky Park a few miles north. Similar bands, but more interesting looking stuff further off the beach in the playground.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought you guy's would like to see what is like at Cape Disappointment , Wa. where I beach mine. Nothing but black sand and gold there. 101_0251.JPG the beach box in the pic is one I built, made of pvc with Hog matts, 2 1000 gph 12v pumps, works great.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought you guy's would like to see what is like at Cape Disappointment , Wa. where I beach mine. Nothing but black sand and gold there. View attachment 1375683 the beach box in the pic is one I built, made of pvc with Hog matts, 2 1000 gph 12v pumps, works great.

What mat type(s) do you use? I use razorback and downdraft (Doc suggested this to me a couple of years back on the GPEX forum) in my 5' stream sluice.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
johnedoe and et1955, I am humbled before your massive displays of black sand...and someday I'll get to Cape Disappointment! Lacking a beachbox, it'll basically be a tourist visit but I'll pan out a bit to be sure.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bailey Park material is a bust other than the lucky flake. The upper and lower layer are brown/black garnet mixed with blond. Hardly any iron sand in the mix. Looks nice on the beach, but not in the pan.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
johnedoe and et1955, I am humbled before your massive displays of black sand...and someday I'll get to Cape Disappointment! Lacking a beachbox, it'll basically be a tourist visit but I'll pan out a bit to be sure.
A beach box is easy to make..... and cheap to make too.
If you ever get out this way be sure to let me know. We can meet up and move some sand..... Heck I'll even let you do all the work while I supervise. :laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I'll take you up on that!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread