Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does any know or has seen any Silver in/on rocks/quartz from around the motherlode/Sierra Foothils? I find these pieces of Quartz,Iron,etc that locks like silver, but I have know idea what it would look like, I've checked out pics from Nev and it just looks grey to black.
Anyone have any pictures of Foothills.Motherlode Silver? Cant help but think that I'm passing up opportunity.. but probably not, as a very new prospector,sluicer, Hard rock guy.. I've still got a lot to learn
Thank
Tony

Upvote 0

G0ldHunt3R

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2016
Reno, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is silver in the Motherlode but its pretty rare. One district that carries silver is Ophir, near Auburn. Most of what you see in the Motherlode is a mix of materials that looks like silver, ie Manganese. In Ophir, the silver can be mixed with Manganese and this makes identification difficult.

G0ldHunt3R

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2016
Reno, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sharppiece.jpg

Heavy Silver mixed with Manganese.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Because silver ore often resembles ores or other metals, such as manganese, a proper field test is needed to determine if there is silver at all. If so, an assay will be necessary to determine how rich (or poor) the ore is.

OP
OP
T

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to all for the replys, I have no more samples as of this moment as I crushed them.. anything that gets a good tone from my falcon I hammer to dust

OP
OP
T

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldhunt3R Have you ever taken Ophir Rd off 80 just west of Auburn? There is the biggest,Coolest quartz vein off the right side of the road that just makes me drool..
Its pretty posted up as I bet the property owner has had to deal with many trespassers. Drive by it sometime its worth the 15 min side trip

T

Tuolumne

Silverado mine in napa, Lots of hot spring sulfide in the area, micron precious metals- sulphur banks clear lake is facinating geology-and cinnabar second only to Almaden!.
20th century gold mining too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread