Exploring Moccasin Creek just north of Coulterville, stacked shale/tailings? vids

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to UPI and AMRA, I've got access to some nice creeks near Moccasin, CA. Thanks also to the Marshes Fire for clearing up a lot of the area for exploring :D Unfortunately this trip I was prepared to hit a hole hard and didnt even bring a pan, just a couple buckets, digging tools, and my homemade trommel... Oops :BangHead:. Someone was already digging in my hole, but first come first serve right? Although the guy offered to let me set up next to him, there honestly wasn't a whole lot of room with two guys swinging shovels around. Thanks for the offer dude :icon_thumleft:

Anyway, time to do some exploring. I'd post pictures, but I have to size them down still >.<. If you've ever driven along highway 49 along Don Pedro, and south towards Coulterville, you'll see large tailing piles stacked along the river, essentially making banks and mounds of boulders. As you go further south it lessens out a bit but is still very prevalent. I'm currently playing where Jackass Creek dumps into Moccasin Creek at the 2nd bridge on SB Hwy 49 from Moccasin, CA. As you cross the river thats been scoured to bed rock, you climb the other side where it flattens out a bit. There are some areas where people are punching a couple holes and getting into what looks like concreted gravels with a tinge of blue :headbang:. Just above bedrock, and lots of large rocks you've got to work around. Good stuff! :icon_thumright: I had my sites set on further up the hill. Now, from 49, looking west, you see the creek, cross that, and you hit the holes punched, keep going and you go up the hillside to the ridge that runs north south. Using this same reference, just upstream from the area that has flattened out, there is a HUGE pile of rocks and boulders(i dont think any are smaller than basketball) that I almost want to say is a tailing pile.. but tailings of what? It looks almost like all the rocks were washed pretty good as now they're only covered in lichen, and piled there. But my big question is, if all the other tailings were left along the river and its banks, why would these be stacked up further inland? Say 200 yards further than the other tailing piles. I heard they used to do hydraulic mining in the area, and im assuming thats what those washed rock piles are. Now, my other question is, did they hydro a lot of the area and just never cleaned some of their areas out? Is that what some of these are?

Second area of extreme interest was along another large stack of rocks, but this one ran to the edge of a drop off into what i can only assume was a drainage at the time. I think a lot can change in over a 100 years ;) The thing that puzzled me the most was what appeared to be shale bedrock chunks that look to be purposely stacked on top of each other to create a platform, where they then stacked those large(basketball+ size) rocks on top of it. They did this on what looks to be more one side than the other, but the other side appears to be the bedrock they maybe were trying to scour away? And if you watch the 2nd video, there is a VERY large boulder that has lodged itself into the drainage and you'll start to see what im talking about.

Just thought I'd share some maddening pictures, because I honestly have no clue what I'm looking at, and the collective knowledge here is overwhelming, maybe we can all learn something :D
Edit: my pics are 6mb at the moment, i'll update the post with the pics when i get it done.

1st video from standing on top of the rock pile. Its pretty freaking huge 40yards wide and several feet if not tens of feet deep, and way above the waterline on the hillside, maybe 400 yards from the river, and a good 2-300ft above the waterline

2nd video from the bottom of the rock pile. You can really see the stacked shale and the boulders stacked on top of those. Why all that effort to stack them that way? Why such a big pile? Was the pile Hydro'd and never moved? This last one doesnt seem as likely imo, its too uniform.

After watching the 2nd video again, it looks like the shale was stacked at the bottom to give the mound a better base to rest on, and then they stacked rocks as they went up the side of the hill on existing bedrock? Anyone elses thoughts?

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day, the miners during the gold rush era were not very tidy with the tailings piles. But after the white miners got the bigger gold, the chinese miners went in to the same areas and mined the finer gold. They were kind of neat freaks when it came to the rocks. They were known for neatly stacking the tailings into wall type formations. They can be seen throughout the Mother Lode belt.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A number of folks have had them claims on/off for many MANY years. GPAA Jake had'm back in the early 80 as homeless. George Stokes had a few and then mean arse old man had them for ages in the 80-90s. Worked many times by many but in the motherlode belt always a speck or two. About 2 miles away Erwin Lee(X fisher rep RIP) found a quartz boulder when the road was improved to Yosemite back in about 86 and have pics when acid etched and got POUNDS inside as he was testing the latest greatest new style high falutn' Gold detector--the Motherlode 660. Murder getting that thang up a huge incline of new roadbed from the gully bottom. Pics bring back memories of the boyz homeless living under a piece of tin and eating trash found bread with generic catfood to survive there :tongue3: John

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop me a PM and I'll share a few things I remember from there. I use to be UPI and had a cabin just down from the their Moccasin claim before that. There is still a little gold there, my second favorite claim of theirs. It is a good highbanking claim

There is a claim on the other side of that on Jackass Creek. The last I heard it was an AMRA claim. I know the guy who had it some time ago and worked it hard with heavy equipment. He got it from an old timer and had some great stories about it. The fire back in the what 70s, that ran through it destroyed some interesting history on it. I worked the fire there in there in the early 80s, 83?, and the fire in the 90s burned right around the Moccasin claim. My old "cabin" was on Mash Flat Road, I wonder if it made it.

ratled

Last edited:
T

Tuolumne

The best thing on moccasin creek is the fishing next to the hatchery. I wouldn't waste my time in those miles of tailings on whos knows property or any nearby Amra claim that has been worked over 100 times by miners, Chinese, dredges and hydro and gold fever Amra members....there is way better gold up the hill in groveland and buck meadows where the gold wasn't found until after the main gold rush. If your going sightseeing at least swing a detector and be semi productive in areas already worked to death...

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive driven by those tailings several times..i couldnt stop drooling! You know there had to of been some damn good gold in that creek if they worked it so extensively. I cant help but wonder how much fine gold and maybe even nuggets lie under all of those rock piles. I dont know the land status or have access to any claims in the area so dream i shall lol

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
only ever hitchhiked through Coulterville...some real azzhatz reside in the area..well, my opinion, don't sue me ;)
heard nothing but banjos there, someone told me I had a purdy mouth, whatever that means.....

Jason777

Greenie
Nov 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those large tailing piles are from ship dredges. I believe they built a temporary dam to flood the whole Valley so they could get in there. The 1948 gold rush tailings were small piles that are washed away by now. Ship dredging continued in California until the 1960's.

Find any gold? I'd search that cemented placer deposit. If it's cemented, then it's likely virgin.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the nicest mining folks on the planet live in Coulterville and home to the Righteous Proline Mining Equipment company. Them banjos were brought there by you in your head and your idle wishes are sic. John:skullflag:

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the nicest mining folks on the planet live in Coulterville and home to the Righteous Proline Mining Equipment company. Them banjos were brought there by you in your head and your idle wishes are sic. John:skullflag:

bwahahah.....I met the other people who live there. one guy called the cops on me, and I was guilty of having my thumb out during daylight hours in front of the park. my head always has music in it, I prefer the guitar to banjos, my idle thoughts were to get out of Dodge and not to get hassled...Mr. FriendlyCoultervilleGuy had other ideas.
had comments from a few others, such as: you're gonna get stuck here....obviously that didn't happen...this is 2 different occasions, not just one....and it's a small place, what are the odds of bad juju twice? never had anything like that before anywhere on 49, and been from Oakhurst to Sierra City by thumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread