What magnet for pulling iron out?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Over kill for sure! a rare earth magnet of a handy size (bought online)would do just fine and put it into a medicine bottle to keep the magnetic material off the magnet. Just shake it up-n-down to drop the material. OR just go to any mining supply shop and buy one.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over kill for sure! a rare earth magnet of a handy size (bought online)would do just fine and put it into a medicine bottle to keep the magnetic material off the magnet. Just shake it up-n-down to drop the material. OR just go to any mining supply shop and buy one.

Hey thanks!! Great idea.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never throw away what you take a magnet to. Think of a oreo cookie with the two black halves as black sands and the center as your gold. The stronger the magnet the more gold you will capture this way. Just run through a sluice or some concentrator prior to disposal-Roses are iron loving plants-and see what gold was wedged in between. John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never throw away what you take a magnet to. Think of a oreo cookie with the two black halves as black sands and the center as your gold. The stronger the magnet the more gold you will capture this way. Just run through a sluice or some concentrator prior to disposal-Roses are iron loving plants-and see what gold was wedged in between. John

Indeed. Crush or crack and pan separately if you want to be thorough.

Otherwise just let it dry, separate it again, making the iron sand jump up to the magnet (so it leaves the non magnetic material behind in the pan) and pan out what's left. Toss the magnetic in your garden knowing there's still a little gold in there :(

T

Tuolumne

I use Rare earth magnet and run it under your gold pan to move the black sands around.

Then I use a garret magnet to move the sand back and forth in two containers so I can see if any gold was stuck and use tweezers to pick out the gold that went along for the ride and what's left is us usually non magnetic material.

I save the black sands in bucket to be processed when I have enough to heat crack or melt down and send to refiner to deal with...

My goal is to have a 5 gallon bucket to heavy to lift with black sands by the time I'm retired

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean the magnetite about 4 times and pan the dregs. Magnetite then goes to the blacksmith for making crucible steel.

I built a "magic wand" from an acrylic tube, rod, and sheet, and 3 Nd magnets. I use a piece of 1/8" silicone gasket to make a baffle around the tube to prevent sand from riding up.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently came across the magnetic half of an aquarium glass cleaner. Made a cradle to be able to peel off the sands. Works great.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
A good super magnet ranging from the size of a dime to quarter sized, a 3 inch X 1/8 inch bolt and a 35mm film cassette will make up a great tool for removing those magnetic sands.

Simply make a small hole in the lid of the cassette lid and run the bolt through it. Put a nut on the end of the bolt and tack it in place with some super glue and set the magnet on it. Snap the lid onto the cassette (with the magnet inside of course) and you're ready to rock n roll. Run the contraption over your cons till it's covered with the magnetic sands then pull up on the bolt to release them into your holding container.

When I'm using my magnet, I prefer to do it with about an inch of water in the pan. Draw the magnetic sand up through the water to the magnet. This washes the sands and helps to keep the gold on your pan instead of allowing it to be trapped. When finished I dry the sands and go though them again with the magnet in small amounts. Anything that is left gets run through my rod mill and then cleaned yet again. I've been able to pull out quite a bit of micron sized gold this way. Remember... It may be small, but it all adds up!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
^^^exactly what he said!

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I modified an old lip stick and glued a small Neodymium magnet inside.
Quite handy in my pockets when i prospect with light equipment :)
IMG_20150901_202545.jpg

Michael

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cow magnet, you can get them from the farm store or might kick a few cow pies'
I slide off the black sands easily with my index finger wrapped around it.
cow+magnet2.jpg

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good super magnet ranging from the size of a dime to quarter sized, a 3 inch X 1/8 inch bolt and a 35mm film cassette will make up a great tool for removing those magnetic sands.

Simply make a small hole in the lid of the cassette lid and run the bolt through it. Put a nut on the end of the bolt and tack it in place with some super glue and set the magnet on it. Snap the lid onto the cassette (with the magnet inside of course) and you're ready to rock n roll. Run the contraption over your cons till it's covered with the magnetic sands then pull up on the bolt to release them into your holding container.

When I'm using my magnet, I prefer to do it with about an inch of water in the pan. Draw the magnetic sand up through the water to the magnet. This washes the sands and helps to keep the gold on your pan instead of allowing it to be trapped. When finished I dry the sands and go though them again with the magnet in small amounts. Anything that is left gets run through my rod mill and then cleaned yet again. I've been able to pull out quite a bit of micron sized gold this way. Remember... It may be small, but it all adds up!

Keep the magnetite in water when cleaning it of other material. Otherwise it gets dusty, and you don't want to breathe it. (be wary of silicosis, blastomycosis, or valley fever) Clean the magnetite about 4-5 times to get most of the junk out, and take small bites with the magnet. Work the magnetite and make it move around before letting it jump to the magnet. That helps to make it drop the junk. Also stratify it between cleaning steps to help it drop material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread