Hardscrabble Miners Make Their Last Stand Forest Service evicts families, razes homes

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardscrabble Miners Make Their Last Stand
Forest Service evicts families, razes homes

SHANN NIX, CHRONICLE STAFF WRITER
PUBLICATION: THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
DATE: May 18, 1990
FINAL
Page: B3
Frank Yocum is destroying his home.
Yocum, a 44-year-old gold miner, has lived on the banks of the Salmon River for 19 years. His mother's irises bloom alongside the two-room log cabin, and the loft he built for his children is still filled with toys. A tattered American flag hangs over the door.
He is almost finished clearing his belongings out of the cabin, which the U.S. Forest Service has ordered him to bulldoze and torch, under threat of arrest, fines and imprisonment.
Yocum, a thin, bearded man with a weathered face, touches the meticulously split cedar shakes and the hand-hewn door of the historical site with reverence.
"The old-timer here before me made this," he says. "He was a master. Brought these panes of glass for the windows in on mule-back. You can't get shakes this fine, even from a factory."
Outside the cabin is piled a chair, a lamp, a spice rack and a bathtub filled with planters and rolls of carpet. He will take some things away and burn the rest.
A MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE
He looks at the pond. "I know every bullfrog's voice," he says. "And if you wait a half an hour, four buzzards will come and roost in that tree. They like to watch the sunset.
"They can have it, I guess. I worked hard here. Never took welfare, always took care of myself. Now they're forcing me out onto the street. I've got no place to be now.
"I'm not out to shoot them or hate the government. But this is a miscarriage of justice."
Inside his cabin is posted a notice, charging him with occupying federal land without authorization and maintaining structures and improvements on national forest land without approval.
"I've been living here peacefully in accordance with the law of the land for 19 years," Yocum says. "Why am I suddenly trespassing now?"
Miners have lived on the Salmon River for more than 100 years. The 1872 Mining Law gives every American the right to stake one or more claims, up to 160 acres, on federal land. If enough ore is found to justify a "prudent man" mining the claim, he can work the land and live on it rent-free.
These miners felled trees, built bridges and struggled to establish a community in the forest isolation, where snowstorms or accidents can claim a person's life, miles from any medical assistance. Without telephones, electricity or running water, they planted gardens, canned vegetables, designed water wheels to power their homes, trained roses up the walls of their log cabins and mined for gold.
They built stores, schools and post offices, and named their communities: Sawyer's Bar, Oak Knoll, Somes Bar, Cecilville, Forks of Salmon.
In 1976 the Federal Land Policy Management Act gave the Forest Service the authority to resolve conflicts over occupancy on federal land. Now the Forest Service is using that power to force the mom-and-pop miners to leave the national forest, to be replaced by larger mining operations.
"Society's becoming more sophisticated. This frontier spirit is outdated. The old laws just aren't up with the times," says Mike Lee, the district ranger for the Forest Service. "We want larger, more efficient operations that can get in, get the gold and get out. We don't find these homesteaders consistent with today's standards of mining."
"The less occupants, the less work," says Matt Olson, a 30-year employee of the Forest Service who retired April 7. "Every time the Forest Service removes a structure or a family, it's one less to deal with. And the big operations pay big bucks."
"We built our lives on the Mining Law," says Dan Sagaser, a 78-year-old miner who has been living in the cabin he built for 51 years. "To us, it was like the Constitution. We believed in it. We invested our lives in it. Now they say it doesn't count anymore. I don't understand it."
ARBITRARY GUIDELINES
Four years ago, the Forest Service began to issue orders to the roughly 200 miners and their families who live in the 1.7 million-acre Klamath National Forest, saying residents must obtain permits for their cabins, proving their residences are necessary to their mining. To get a permit, miners were required to file a "Plan of Operations," showing they were "full-time operations" performing "diligent mining."
Who decides what defines a full-time operation? "I do," says Lee. "There are no written guidelines."
How much time constitutes diligent mining? "We can pick any number you want," says Frey.
The deadlines imposed on families told to leave are just as arbitrary.
Lee acknowledges that people complain the decision-making process is unfair. "People say that they can't win. But I don't expect to make bad decisions. I'm not making off-the-hip decisions here."
Besides the stringent new regulations, miners were required to post bonds of $3,000 to $25,000 to ensure that the land was returned to its pristine state after they are evicted. The average income of the miners is $7,500 to $10,000 a year.
"Where am I going to get thatkind of money within 90 days?" said Yocum. "I just don't have it."
Without the money to post bonds, many of the miners were unable to comply with the new requirements. In January 1988, the Forest Service sent 237 letters to miners telling them to settle up or get out. Failure to comply is met with threats of lawsuits, fines and jail.
ONE LAST HOPE
"They put me out of business, they made me homeless," says Carl Eichenhofer, 44, who has just lost the claim he mined for 10 years. "Now I get to tear down my home and destroy all my assets and inheritance.
"And they're suing me for trespassing on a claim that I mined legally and paid taxes on for years. Suing me for what? They've already taken everything I have."
The miners' last hope is that Congress will consider legislation to extend the existing Townsite Act - a law that allows communities surrounded by national forest to purchase land from the federal government - to the miners' homes scattered through the Salmon River area.
Representative Wally Herger, R-Chico, wrote to the Forest Service on Wednesday requesting a one-year moratorium on evictions while Congress explores legislation.
Thirty to 35 homes have been destroyed since the Forest Service mailed the eviction letters last year.
"We started to burn obviously abandoned fire-hazard-type cabins with the permission of the owner," says Olson, who was working for the Forest Service at the time. "Then it seemed to accelerate among the Forest Service guys. Who can burn more cabins? Then it turned into a race. Before the public picked up on it, we had lost 25 to 30 structures. Then we started to plan it. We started to kick people out, so we could burn the cabins.
"I burned down cabins myself. It felt awful."
While the miners were out of town at a Siskiyou County Board of Supervisors meeting last November, requesting a moratorium on burnings, armed Forest Service officials burned a cabin known as the Lowry claim, from which they had evicted three families in the past 12 months. They bulldozed the rose bushes and set fire to the flowering fruit trees around the house.
Six months later, the charred mess remains, with melted plastic, buckled tin roofing, charred asbestos siding and shards of glass. Papery red-gold poppies still bloom neatly in a bank on the side of the hill.
"Property of the United States," reads a warped metal sign nailed to the trunk of a burned tree.
"Smokey Bear sucks," is written in toothpaste on one charred foundation.
"They just left it here, didn't clean up a thing," says Kenoli Oleari, 45, a member of the Salmon River Concerned Citizens group. "I think it's supposed to be a warning to us."
"Why burn the places down?" says Rex Richardson, 38, a local miner. "In this day of homelessness, some deserving person could be living there."
"The people that built these cabins built America," says miner David Haley. "Now we're archaic."
LAST YEAR ON CLAIM
Haley lives with his wife, Nancy, and his 9-year-old son, Caleb, in the cabin his father lived in until his death last year at the age of 74. Although the Forest Service has approved Haley's operation for the time being, they will not approve it again next year unless he brings in bigger equipment.
"My father fought the last two years of his life to save this place for me," he says. "I see him everywhere I look."
The Haley home is a knotty-pine cabin with a stone roof and hand-cut beams, set into the serene slant of the mountain, surrounded by fruit trees and hummingbirds. The river sounds in the background like rain in the distance.
The Haleys wake up early. They light a fire in the wood stove against the chill of the mountain morning, turn on lights powered by the hydroelectric generator David's father designed, and wash with water from their rigorously maintained water system. Nancy Haley takes Caleb to school, across the river on a narrow cable bridge that sways 30 feet over the river.
When she returns, she works in the vegetable garden, cooks, cuts wood for the fireplace and cans vegetables to stock the stone root cellar.
David Haley goes out to mine gold, dragging his equipment in a wheelbarrow. He is a lanky man with a beard, refined to knots of muscle by his long days of mining. He stands grinning in the sunshine, his heavy waders in icy mud.
"If they did come in and bulldoze my place, I think I'd live in a tent," he says. "This is my home."
He will spend much of his time today repairing equipment, tuning up the generator, adjusting hoses and pipes. Miles from town, help or extra equipment, he has learned to weld, to make dredging machines out of bed frames, to do for himself.
His "placer mine" operation consists of two pools of water carved into the rocky clay of the hillside, roughly 20 feet across. He washes and shovels dirt from the "high bar" where the river used to be, down through a graduated series of boxes meshed with wire.
Any gold flakes in the muck end up trapped in a piece of blue carpet lining the sluice box. Haley figures he makes $25 to $30 a day for 10 hours of heavy labor. He keeps the gold flakes in a tiny vial, scraping them carefully into a pile with a piece of paper plate.
"I'd like to fight the government to stay here. But I'm young, I've got a family, I don't want to spend my life in prison. If I were rich, I'd hire a lawyer. But I can't afford it. So there's no justice for me.
"But it makes me angry when the Forest Service says my home is a significant disturbance to the national forest, and a 40-acre clear-cut is not."
FOREST SERVICE CRITICS
Some say the Forest Service is anxious to get rid of the miners because they are the last witnesses to its abusive management of the Klamath National Forest.
"When we see the area being clear-cut, mismanaged and sprayed with herbicides, we scream and holler," said Lloyd Ingle, vice president of the Salmon River Mining Council.
Even environmental organizations such as the Sierra Club support the miners' presence in the national forest. "The amount of damage caused by the small miners is nothing compared to Forest Service timber management practices and road building," says Sierra Club spokeswoman Susie Van Kirk. "Forest Service priorities are really mixed up."
In the past three years alone, the Forest Service has clear-cut and sold 201 acres of Klamath National Forest trees, in addition to the thousands of acres logged as a result of the recent devastating forest fires. Some of that timber has been sold at $2 or $3 per board foot of lumber instead of the market price of $200 or $300 a foot.
The results of the clear-cutting are vivid up above the "view shed," the area seen from the road, where logging is restricted. The tops of the mountains are three-quarters bare of trees, scabby and denuded as a mangy animal.
"It's disastrous," says Oleari. "They've destroyed the Salmon Mountains. It will take 1,000 years to come back. And every single clear-cut has been approved by a Forest Service "Finding of No Significant Impact.' "
As controversial as the clear-cutting is the Forest Services' extensive use of herbicides in replanted sections of the national forest.
In 1984, the Salmon River Concerned Citizens filed a suit against the Forest Service alleging that it failed to do an analysis, required by law, of possible irreparable harm caused by herbicide spraying. The Forest Service withdrew its plans to spray, and the suit eventually contributed to a ban on pesticides in national forests,first in California and finally throughout the United States.
But the herbicides used in the Salmon River area had already taken their toll, according to the miners.
"After they sprayed in my drainage, one morning two spotted owls came to drink at my water and they fell over dead," said Jerry Kramer, 69, a local miner. "We could smell a very strong chemical smell like Lysol for three or four days afterward. The next morning, I went to get out of bed and the room started spinning, and I had to lay back down. I was dizzy all day. My wife was, too. It took weeks to wear off, and I never did get all the way over it.
"My wife just died."
"I think herbicide is a good management tool," says Harry Frey of the Forest Service. "Herbicide's not the only solution, but it's one of the solutions. People are just afraid of it because they don't know any better."
It's more than individuals at risk here, the miners say. It is the life of a town.
"You're part of a community here," says Sagaser. "You know folks, and they know you."
Any visit from a neighbor in these isolated hills may turn into a gathering. People stay for the afternoon, overnight or for the weekend, bringing with them food or musical instruments to turn the evening into an impromptu party. Visitors are rare, cherished and offered the best of whatever is available.
The town of Forks of Salmon consists of a shingled one-room post office, presided over for the past 36 years by 65-year-old postmistress Gladys Stansajw; a tiny general store run by Doug McCuddy, 48, and his wife Sally, 51; and the Forks of Salmon school.
"In a small town like this," says Haley, "someone's livelihood depends on how many kids are in the school."
The school, a bright, modern building attended by 40 children and staffed by five adults, recently took a performance of "The Tempest" to the Ashland Shakespeare Festival in Oregon, and won multiple awards in state academic competitions. All the children marched in the recent demonstration in nearby Yreka against the evictions.
"I grew up with most of these people in the forest," says Silas Beaver, 13. "I knew them since I was born. It would be really bad if they had to leave. They're like my brothers. But the Forest Service doesn't want us living on their land."
"It's not really theirs," says Merlin Hanauer, 11. "It's everybody's."

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"It's everybody's." That is why you can't build a house and live there. This isn't new, and it is not an attack on gold miners. We have a lot of mentally ill and criminals "living" in our national forests. I'm all for clearing out these squatters. :skullflag:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those of you who assume a republican will support your rights, think about who was president in 1990.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It's everybody's." That is why you can't build a house and live there. This isn't new, and it is not an attack on gold miners. We have a lot of mentally ill and criminals "living" in our national forests. I'm all for clearing out these squatters. :skullflag:

Squatting on an active, continually worked mining claim protected under federal law? How does that work?:icon_scratch:

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you know Terry, I agree with you in principle. there are quite a few who use public lands in a way that wasn't intended, and the problems caused by the few are numerous.
the wilds have always been a safety valve for some of us. it's saved my life. I know people as we speak that are squatting in Tahoe NF and are doing no harm.
I'm one of those who are "mentally ill". I have Aspergers' Syndrome and have always had a tough time living in the "real world".
I'm non-violent and use no drugs, not even "medical marijuana", nor do I drink.
I never have built anything, but have contemplated it. my refuge in the Sierras is too tough to manage a winter without a real roof, otherwise I'd be there now.
there used to be ways and means to acquire public lands legally, but due to abuses by large corporations, this avenue has been shut off for everyone.
Kevin, I agree, but add the democrats to that list.
I'm voting for "Nobody".
I am certain that Nobody cares about me.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as living/working on an active claim, it worked well for a hundred years. Then in the 60s and 70s the system was abused by shall we say the flower children. I know of several instances where little communes were set up on legitimate claims. FS , BLM and other alphabet agencies said nope. The gov has gone through and burnt to ground a lot of very cool old cabins for that reason.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pick your fights wisely gold miners. WE can't fight every windmill we encounter. Everybody knows you can't "live" on a claim unless it is patented. :skullflag:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick your fights wisely gold miners. WE can't fight every windmill we encounter. Everybody knows you can't "live" on a claim unless it is patented. :skullflag:

Not sure where you heard that, from the BLM website>

4. Surface Use and Occupancy

This program area concerns the proper occupation (residency or seasonal occupation of mining claims by mining claimants. It is administered pursuant to the Surface Resources Act of 1955 (30 USC 611-615; 43 CFR 3715). It provides that if you live on a mining claim or site, the occupation must be justified as reasonably incident to mining and exploration and that no other reasonable options for shelter are available while working the claims. The occupation must be authorized by the proper field office through a notice or plan of operations. There are severe penalties for unauthorized residences and occupancies (see the regulations at 43 CFR 3715).

Mining Law

More in depth>
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ak/aktest/minerals/minerals_pdfs.Par.12787.File.dat/43cfr3715.pdf

Perhaps your definition of "live" is different from mine as yes you can certainly live there within certain restrictions and rules. Your classification of these people as being all mentally ill and criminals isn't very uniting for the mining community. I think these people deserve respect, especially from the mining community as they truly are just that, just not on a scale that is acceptable to today's society and that is sad.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not about to start defending the SMALL MINORITY of so called "gold miners" that have no respect for the law, you, or me. If you want to live "off the grid" God bless you, but living where the Forest Service is going to gig you for not following the rules is not "off the grid." WE cannot support every idiot that calls themselves a gold miner. I realize there are a lot of angry dredge owners out there, but some of the blame for their problems lives in their back yard in the form of gold miners that didn't give a damn about rules, laws, or the rest of us. :skullflag:

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the main thrust of the article posted was about Forest Service land. As far as I know, the FS limits occupancy in a single area to 14 days...BLM land may be different. And as was stated above, patented land allowed for permanent occupancy and structures, but no new patents are being issued.

Having just spent only three weeks just to the north of the area covered in the article, I can say that the abuse of the land by careless recreational use, camping, and perhaps miners, was extremely discouraging. The amount of garbage scattered around (and worse), was disgusting. Despite signs clearly stating the illegality, I watched a woman pull up to a FS toilet, open up the back of her car, and carry bags of garbage to dump down the toilet. It was obvious she had done it before. One day when I was prospecting along the Klamath, I watched a guy (probably a local) pull his car over on the side of the road, sit on a rock to drink a beer, and smash it into a million pieces on a rock when he was done. I cleaned it up so it wouldn't reflect badly on the claim, or so some poor unsuspecting soul wouldn't step on it. And judging from the size and depth of the holes, guys using Minelabs have left areas covered in unfilled holes.

While I was there, firefighters were battling the "Gap Fire," which took several weeks to finally contain. At times, ash was falling around me like snow. As with other forest fires, especially in California, I wouldn't be surprised if the cause of this fire was man-made. A few weeks earlier, another forest fire started near the Pacific coast, where a firefighter lost his life, was started by pot growers.

I'm all for the rights of miners. Clearly the miners in the article were doing no harm, and were most likely caught up in an issue instigated by others. But I also recognize that the FS has a difficult job to do, and based upon what I saw, I support most of their efforts. I also know in Siskiyou County, the FS officers are very, very supportive of the recreational use of the area by campers, miners, fishing, and rafters, because of the dollars it brings into the local economy, which is struggling. Keep in mind the date of the article was 1990 -- a lot has changed since then, some for the better, and some for the worse. I should point out, however, that the things that have limited gold mining are not due to anything the FS has done. They are only enforcing actions that have come to them by other agencies and legal decisions. Sometimes, local FS Districts make more lenient decisions on how they manage the lands under their jurisdiction, because some of the language of the laws handed down to them are vague.

If it weren't for all the abuses of the land, not all caused by mining, we would be in a very different place today. I think that the anger directed at law enforcement is sometimes misdirected...most of the time they are simply responding to chronic abuse from others who have spoiled it for everyone. Same ol' story, right?

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'm not about to start defending the SMALL MINORITY of so called "gold miners" that have no respect for the law, you, or me. If you want to live "off the grid" God bless you, but living where the Forest Service is going to gig you for not following the rules is not "off the grid." WE cannot support every idiot that calls themselves a gold miner... :skullflag:

I saw the issue Terry is referring to in my area of Alaska in the mid- late 80s.
Let's face it, in many areas almost every stream contains some gold. Claims are cheap & easy to stake (even cheaper then). In a road accessible area lot's of "Hippy type" folks staked claims on creeks in places you couldn't get an once out of in a year. They put up wall tents with plywood floor platforms. started garbage piles. The FS ignored them. The next year they were building shacks. More garbage piles. The FS ignored them. The shacks got bigger & more plentiful. The garbage piles got bigger. Most of these folks just dipped a gold pan a couple times a year so they could call themselves "miners". The FS finally came in & told them the shacks needed to go. They screamed for a year to every news paper that would listen that their rights as "miners" were being violated... Trashed the name "miner" in the area. The FS finally spent what I assume were millions (of OUR money)in court & on cleanup & got them out. I have no use for & will not defend these type of folks...
No reference to the folks in the 1990 article MEG posted.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are miners (us) and then there are "miners" (them). I thought times have changed but I'm not so sure anymore. There were plenty of miners in the old days that got gold anyway they could and thus, regulations were put into place. Those regs should have helped US miners. US miners grumbled but since we never trashed or dissed the environment (quite the opposite in fact) we had little issue and went on about our business. Them other miners don't like any kind of reg as it inhibits their right to live like they want and anywhere they want. Hence, they dig their heels in and do more bad stuff. We know better and try to cover their tracks but since THEY are so called miners, WE get placed into their category. Sadly, not much has changed since the 1800's when it comes to selfish self centered people who ignore everything except instant gratification at the expense of others. Just my .02

Last edited:

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
people never do change, Jeff. history repeats itself...history repeats itself. (sameasiteverwas)
enough of non-sequitor theatre.
I've come across the remains of guerilla grows and some had an old pan or piece of gear (along with hundreds of ft. of hose and/or pvc).
thankfully, never met with an active grow.
this summer, near the "Little Town" of Washington, Ca., a 67yo miner lost his life (murder), and a 75yo hiker got lost and presumably never found, one of the search party got shot.
2 years ago there was a shootout between a "sovereign citizen" and a BLM Ranger and CHP officer, I watched the helicopter circling the scene, all the while thinking someone drove off the side of the mountain.
this year, as I said in a former post, a fire about a mile upstream from me, put out after only 3 acres got scorched, Thank God.
never seemed like this a few years ago, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LAZ, it's been this bad for many years. Drugs, desperation, poverty. Plus an increasing population , crowding us all. Not alibi-ing anybody.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in Washington CA last weekend, love that little town. Explored east of town up river and found a surviving cabin site and a few mines. Also saw very threatening private property sign stating owner will shoot on site out in the middle of nowhere on federal land.. Heard about all the craziness last year up there its really a shame.

I just think its not all bad people out there up to no good. If we start spreading that stigma its not going to help us any as prospectors, miners, small scale whatever you want to bash today..

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up in Washington CA last weekend, love that little town. Explored east of town up river and found a surviving cabin site and a few mines. Also saw very threatening private property sign stating owner will shoot on site out in the middle of nowhere on federal land.. Heard about all the craziness last year up there its really a shame.

I just think its not all bad people out there up to no good. If we start spreading that stigma its not going to help us any as prospectors, miners, small scale whatever you want to bash today..

I know the area you are talking about, and the owner of the patented land that is posted. I believe the sign reads "Private property, no trespassing. Owner is armed and present." He has the same trouble a lot of private landowners have, and that is people trashing his property. He told me gates are going up on his access roads this year. THat old stone cabin is really cool. As is the nearby Jolly Boys mine with the derrick mounted above the huge, deep swimmin' hole.

I have a couple of claims up river from there and I consider myself one of the good guys. Always pack out more trash than I bring in and whatnot.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most dedicated miners today, including myself, seem to take reclamation much more serious than just a generation ago. Good claims are tough to get and easy to loose just by being lazy or careless. The guys that I dig with feel the same way.

If a prospector wants to try living off the grid and away from people deep in the back country, thats his business so long as he's not claim jumping, creating messes or permanent camps, and keeps a low profile........HOWEVER

The trashy squatter "digger hobo camps" that are popping up through out the Mother Lode foothills are not the same the thing. These drug addict thieving pumpkin heads have no respect for anything be it public land or private property.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the area you are talking about, and the owner of the patented land that is posted. I believe the sign reads "Private property, no trespassing. Owner is armed and present." He has the same trouble a lot of private landowners have, and that is people trashing his property. He told me gates are going up on his access roads this year. THat old stone cabin is really cool. As is the nearby Jolly Boys mine with the derrick mounted above the huge, deep swimmin' hole.

I have a couple of claims up river from there and I consider myself one of the good guys. Always pack out more trash than I bring in and whatnot.

Yes its a very interesting area indeed. We followed the only access road down to the sign you speak of, and that road continues past his land to more forest land after right after that sign so it gets a little confusing. Claims all over up river and down. You have to cross his land to get to the a lot of them, hopefully the other claim owners and him are in good so they don't loose access to their claims when he decides to gate it. Sounds like it has been open for some time as I followed someone who has ridden down there many times over the years. The area was very clean and trash free from what I noticed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread