Ugh. ASRA hands and pans clarification.

RudeBoyPanning

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2016
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know there's a lot about this but what are the exact rules? I've gone to Yankee Jim's a few times now with decent luck. Last time the cleanup was pretty decent. My wife and my friends girlfriend want to come with us but I think trying to hike up YJB will be a little much for them. I was thinking of going to the area where the north fork and middle fork join. Is it truly hands and pans only? Can we bring small spades? I have a 3ft mini shovel too, is that allowed? I was thinking of going north up the north fork as far as we can and do a little prospecting there. What do you think? I just want to be extra cautious bc of the ladies being with us.

If it is really hands and pans is there anywhere with decent acessibility we can go where we can use our small shovels? We'll be driving a fwd Jeep Patriot so we have ground clearance but don't have 4x4.

Thanks guys. We've learned a lot from this site and some members that got in touch with me before.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to mining the rules change like the wind. Go directly to the Auburn Recreation website and see their latest insanity pushed down folks throats. Used to be a righteous place to dredge from 4"-10" for many Many years. Lots of luck.John

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've asked Ca state park rangers the definition of "hands n' pans" according to "THEIR" rule book. I was told you can use a garden spade/trawl so long as the instrument fits "inside" the gold pan. I have found some substantial garden spades out there specific for this situation and the key here is short handle with thick beefy blade.

My hands n' pans kit; Garret Super Sluice pan w/ 1/2 classifier, 13" thick blade short handle garden trawl, soup spoon, table spoon and the thickest butter knife I could find. Everything fits easily in the Garret pan and into the day pack. None of the rangers have had issue or gotten "ill" over this set-up.

Its a lame game and another example of "Californication" for ya.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
on the S.Yuba it is posted as such in a few spots, BLM as well as State: Hands and Pans Only..you must use your hands only and run only wet stream run gravel.
it might not be exactly the wording but that is what is says.
some say it means all BLM/State land, others (like me) believe it to be the high day use areas near Purdons' and Edwards'.
anyhow, I've seen a BLM maintenance guy down there with some heavy iron working the bedrock, so much for anyone's guess.
so as far as Yankee Jims' or Auburn SRA, you might want to be a little cautious.
about 5 years ago, a Statie run his jaw at me for 10 minutes at Auburn about what I coudn't do.
now, I'd tell you what he'd said, but I wasn't listening.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*hehe* Might be worth it to get one of these pans:
1web.jpg

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the S.Yuba it is posted as such in a few spots, BLM as well as State: Hands and Pans Only..you must use your hands only and run only wet stream run gravel.
it might not be exactly the wording but that is what is says.
some say it means all BLM/State land, others (like me) believe it to be the high day use areas near Purdons' and Edwards'.
anyhow, I've seen a BLM maintenance guy down there with some heavy iron working the bedrock, so much for anyone's guess.
so as far as Yankee Jims' or Auburn SRA, you might want to be a little cautious.
about 5 years ago, a Statie run his jaw at me for 10 minutes at Auburn about what I coudn't do.
now, I'd tell you what he'd said, but I wasn't listening.

5 years ago the ASRA Rangers were trying to say it was hands and pans. Then when we reported it, Don Robinson went in and talked to the district head and they found out that some greenie rangers had actually forged his signature from a different paper to make it look like they had made it hands and pans. Those people were dealt with and the ASRA is still not Hands and pans.
The South Yuba Rec area has been hands and pans only for many years...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Reed what happened to those people that forged the papers ? OR were they just got their hands slapped for the public info and then got a pay raise , or moved to a different location like is normally done ?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RB,
North up the North Fork? Are you talking driving down the road out of Colfax and going to the upper bridge and then hiking in from there? Are the ladies seasoned hikers going over river rock? If not then I would pass on trying to take the ladies in there as twisted ankles would be the a bad end to a good day. As I recall that would be the last "public" road down to the NFAR. From that point all the way up to the point where the NFAR is just a trickle of water coming out of the ground it is all hiking trails that drop 1800' to over 3000' into the canyon and none of those trails are for the inexperienced though Mumford Bar would be the simplest. Of course right now I would expect the road is closed due to snow and the gate being locked.

I've been in there several times Cross Country Skiing/Backpacking so camping out in the snow along the ridgeline but then that is not for the faint of heart either. We had thought 'once' on one ski trip of going part way down the canyon wall to a cabin, when we got to the start of the road it was snowed over at a 45 degree angle with ice on top of the snow. We spent the night at the top in deep snow, no fire but with the proper gear we were two bugs snug as could be in our tent. I would suggest ankle exercises for 'All' in your group should you want to take the ladies along.......................63bkpkr

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed,
as of May 2010 at least part of the BLM section on the south fork have been made pans and hands.
the full ruling was posted in the federal register then and it was posted on the BLM board in the parking lot at Purdons'.
that place being what it is, the notice didn't last long. I saw 3 skinheads tear the whole board down, roof and all, in March 2011. they tossed the roof over the bridge, then left. I didn't get their tag, but told the State about it.

there is confusion among some of the miners I've met as to what the ruling was. some believe it means the whole area of BLM that begins upstream near Missouri Bar, where Tahoe NF begins. I read it and it said to me that it was only the high day use areas near the bridges on BLM. this really only affects Edwards' Crossing.
Purdons' and the 49 crossing are state anyhow.

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are worried about the controversial hands and pans ruling I suggest you try the Greenhorn blm parking area which has access to the south fork of the American river between Coloma and pilot hill on hiway 49. There is a easy path which leads up and down river. There should be some bedrock areas to explore relatively easy. beware that in the afternoon the river rises from the dam release upstream , several feet times. Have fun, this re is open to using sluice, small shovels etc.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the name for the horse folks area?? As Fast Freddie took over our old claims that had roads to the river in 2 spots. Larry was killed there so I would never go as that *&^%$#@ river killed him on his first day of retirement and just setting up his new dredge. I saw plenty of folks tore up and 1 dead from my 3 months dredging/camping on my claims there. DANGEROUS .John

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the name for the horse folks area?? As Fast Freddie took over our old claims that had roads to the river in 2 spots. Larry was killed there so I would never go as that *&^%$#@ river killed him on his first day of retirement and just setting up his new dredge. I saw plenty of folks tore up and 1 dead from my 3 months dredging/camping on my claims there. DANGEROUS .John

That is the horse area John. I thought Larry died down below Chili Bar in the area the BLM opened up there. His new dredge was an old Precision that he bought from Frank and completely rebuilt for Costa Rica. Last time I talked with his wife, she still had the dredge. Larry was good people :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty made him a brand new dredge, rebuild? as was supposed to go see but day 1 gone gone gone, for his retirement and he was shamed into setting it up at the very entrance to the ungodly killer rapids. No not at Chili Bar at all,my old claim as he traded me a minelab for my half. RIP dear friend :sadsmiley: One of our finest...John PS Dredging has been banned--actually mining-in Costa Rica for years now, BCR can update and I posted info here he sent me many years ago when their government started their insidious miners attack. Killed my retirement plans as went to CR for almost a month in 2004 to plan the great escape but shot down with bans.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was new to him but still Larry originally started it as a complete Precision rebuild as it was one of Frank's deals... Larry's plan was to hit Costa Rica but he was being scammed by crooks down there. So I gave him KenCR's # and Ken found out it was the same old gang of thieves that planned on killing him when he got there. I think Ken died right after that, when he fell down the steps at his new apartment... Larry was ready to ship his dredge to them and leave in a few weeks... then as most Americans, would disappear and he and his dredge never seen again after the gang was through with him. So he ended up on the American, safe we all thought... His brother lived next to my old mining partner Tom, and Larry wanted us to help them highline it into the canyon at his claim but he ended up at yours I guess.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A REAL American trajedy. Claim was no longer mine as he traded for my half. OMG just the mention of Ken(RIP) still just overwhelms the senses. Was supposed to go mining when I came but tooooo late. All these great miners gone Reed, we've been not only reduced but decimated since 1999 :censored:. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread