Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
on the S.Yuba late February

found this messing with the cracks in the bedrock, realized I could crack this with a little work.
had to pull shards of decomposing bedrock along the sides first before I could start breaking it out.
here's a pic of the pie wedge I pulled out:

took a couple hours of wiggling and breaking before i was able to get the leverage to yark it up.
second pic is the results. roughly 18-20 .gr, not bad for a couple hours of skinning my fingers.

there was a fairly tough clay that broke up in water with some agitation and yielded a couple medium sized flakes per .tsp.
scraped the wedge and the hole it came from, maybe 3 full pans.
I believe this was one of the rare spots that never had been touched and it was in a very heavily mined location, Illinois Crossing.
likely wasn't worth it to the old timers to bother with something like this, I thank them for leaving it for me.

Attachments

• 1479226749759.jpg
    1479226749759.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 160
  • 1479226905208.jpg
    1479226905208.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been up to Illinois Crossing, is there a campground still? We were just looking at the area on Bing Maps and I just don't see anywhere to cross :evil6:

Illinois.jpg

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is lovely! Did you happen to wave your Goldbug II over it? It should have sounded off for you.

Thank you for sharing.......63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that SF Yuba nothing but crumbs from the plate a plenty but by todays standards mighty fine. To get them bign's you have to winch vw sized boulders +++ but with hands and pans gone gone gone...thanks for pics/story-John

OP
OP
L

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never been up to Illinois Crossing, is there a campground still? We were just looking at the area on Bing Maps and I just don't see anywhere to cross :evil6:

View attachment 1381751

there is no crossing, you need to wade. the name "Illinois Crossing" came from a footbridge built in the 1850's.
there is a flat above the river with 2 old picnic tables that you get to from the BLM parking lot on N.Bloomfield, on the north side of Edwards'.
about 1.25 miles of trail from the lot, mostly downhill. mostly uphill the way out :(
during summer low, there is a beautiful little campsite .25 mile downstream from the flat, and cross the river just before. it's where I was most of the summer, found some nice pickers in the bedrock just over the other side of it.

OP
OP
L

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is lovely! Did you happen to wave your Goldbug II over it? It should have sounded off for you.

Thank you for sharing.......63bkpkr
no, found the old fashioned way. everything looked right, even though I've walked over the same spot a dozen or more times, just "saw it" the right way this time.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to work hard to get that gold! Nicely done!!

It's amazing how the gold will work its way down into the bedrock like that.

Once while I was dredging, and after a lot of hard work, I removed a chunk of bedrock and when the wedge was out, the entire bottom of the hole was covered with gold, no clay, just gold on bedrock. So, I love your picture of the gold you recovered as it flashed me back about ten years ago and about ten feet under the water.

All the best,

Lanny

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

View attachment 1381751

You just stride over all the intoxicated hippies like stepping stones. I've not been either, just need to explore more I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread