Yellowstone Gold, Mining company seeking ground near Yellowstone.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I had wondered about that - figured it was out there somewhere. That said, I gotta agree with the author on the red flags. Yellowstone is no place for a not-quite-yet-a-mining-company with zero track record and no operating capital. There are still many other locations where gold can (and will) be found - locations that won't include a high degree of actual and perceived risk for miners and mining everywhere.

my 2¢

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Crevice Mining Group is applying for an exploration permit. This isn't about mining it's about blocking continued development of the Crevice mining district. Miners have been mining placer (1863) and lode gold (1879) there for more than 135 years.

Dr. Michael A. Werner PhD Min. Met. Eng. is the principle on the exploration project. He was the lead on the TSX Gold project that commercially mined the same area in the 1990's. He probably knows more about the deposits in that mining district than anyone else on earth and he thinks his drilling exploration plan will prove a large previously unmined lode.

These aren't newbie miners. They aren't looking to rape the land. They have more than 40 years of experience in successful exploration and mining.

"Werner has already obtained what is known as a small miner exclusion statement (SMES) from the DEQ. An SMES is specifically for small-scale mining only, and cannot be used for exploration. The SMES also requires that the surface disturbance of the mine be smaller than five acres, and that the operations cannot pollute or contaminate any streams.

Werner wants the exploration permit on Crevice Mountain to operate in tandem with the already-obtained SMES. DEQ spokeswoman Lisa Peterson said the department is looking at ways that Werner’s two permits could be combined so that he can explore in the area.

But before Werner can do any work on the ground he’s targeted, he has to have appropriate access into the area. His options are limited. There’s a county road, Crevice Mountain Road, which would require improvements to be made by Werner before such access would be available via that route. Another route that would also require road improvement is the Sin Nombre Road, which is under the auspices of the Forest Service."

There is no formal public comment period scheduled for Crevice Mining Group’s exploratory application because it isn’t required for such proposals. This might be about a "not in my backyard" knee jerk reaction to normal exploration and development by experienced miners or it could be something else entirely.

This gets a little tricky for me because I know and work with some of these guys. The opinion writer who is against the project has 26 years as a big mining company BSc Geologist. The guy wanting to explore in the Crevice mining district has more than 40 years of experience with some of the biggest mining companies PhD Min. Met. Eng.. There is a very good chance that the opinion writer once worked under the exploration guy. Both of them have and sometimes still do work for companies that I do business with. It's a small world and you might want to keep that in mind when you read just one point of view by one miner on an opinion page.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure paints a different picture, don't it??

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well put Barry ! As I read the articles (2) I also read the "not in my backyard' attitude about this . This mans credentials were/are top notch if someone is going to do this exploration , it should be him!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To me, this sounds like nothing more than a hit piece written by a bigger company to try and keep a junior player out of the business. And it also sounds like there is an axe to grind there somewhere.

Right now they are "playing part of the game" as we say. The Crevice Mining Group is trying to do the absolute minimum to get in there to explore what could possibly be a dud project and DEQ is trying to get them to do the absolute maximum. They'll work out a happy medium. The other guys are sounding like two year olds that are mad because someone else is "playing in THEIR cabbage patch".

So we someone with 40 years in the industry that wants to drive a decline shaft? My guess is he saw something that everyone else either ignored or overlooked. Or maybe more than a few KNOW something is there and are mad because these people have the gall to go after it.

DO I care that it is right on the edge of Yellowstone? Not really. There is a border there for a reason. One side is wilderness and off limits. The other side is fair game as far as I am concerned. Although a few modifications could be made to the plan to take into effect the "aesthetics" of the Park to show that Crevice is being "reasonable".

And people think I am nuts for saying that the big mining companies donate to the eco freaks to keep small players out of the market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread