Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK...I got all kinds of excited when I saw the DeWalt cordless vac that sounded strong till the bottom line price brought me back to reality. So, I decided I would re-purpose my existing Ryobi 18 volt wet/dry cordless vac. I NEVER use it cuz it's not that great BUT MAYBE it can be converted to a crack and crevice cordless vac which I also happen to have two lithium batteries for. That said, I would like your ideas cuz I have yet to learn it all and you all rock :headbang:. The only thing I really want is two flexible hoses 18" inches long and inside diameters of 1/2" and 1/4"...like vacuum hose?). I need to mate those two options to the single intake, to be used as one or the other. I really like the very short and stiff brush on the existing intake but it's far too wide to use except for clearing flood gold off flat rocks...so I'd like that option to use it. Maybe make a second intake mold with play dough and then duplicate it with appropriate nipples for the hoses? Brainstorm and give me something to work with here guys/gals! Here's what I have to work with...

020.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG (suction was strong enough to hold this plastic drill template).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
While that says wet/dry, according to the indicator line, you sure wouldn't be able to suck up much water without risking damage to the vac.

I have some ideas, but not using that vac. I'm afraid I would want to try a different route.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya gotta love the creative ingenuity of prospectors....:occasion14:

Looking forward to seeing this come to completion.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...I dunno Jeff. I keep thinking about this and, even though I've never done such a thing, having a really difficult time imagining that little vac doing what you want or need it to do. So I need to ask a few questions...before my last brain cell declares that I'm nuts and runs off to Canada!! :tongue3:

1) As this is meant for working cracks and crevices, would you ever have need of such a device below the water line?
2) Will you be loosening up your material first? If so, what methods would you use? Pry tool? Pressurized air? A water flush?
3) How much actual suction do you need? For how long (how long batteries last)?
4) Is it allowable for you to use a gas powered vac? If so, have you considered a small, cheap shop vac with a string trimmer engine?
5) Do you normally hike in a long way? (this question is rhetorical - answer to yourself)

The only time I've been to CA was after Dad went there for cancer treatment 2 years ago and became paralyzed from waist down. So am not familiar with the environment/terrain there. Just keep trying to picture in my head what "might" be needed, what "might" work, and what "might" be better ideas.

EDIT - Another possibility might be this vacuum (below) along with a deep cycle battery?
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Wet-..._n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:7066299011

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
Your project sucks and I like it!
Those units have a limited amount of suction, the size of the suction port is specific to each unit so first I would calculate the square inches of the port and the cubic inches involved from the port into the catch area. Once you know these then you can design the size of your suction port as well as the diameter and length of hose required so you do not exceed the suction available. Smooth bore tube will give you the highest efficiency for the vacuum available while convolute tubing will give you the greatest flex without kinking though due to all the ridges and valleys in the convolute the available suction will be reduced and heavies will lodge in the convolutes.

You might want to use some duct tape to seal the existing suction port down to a small ID suction hose and then test the suction to see what size/weight particles it will pick up. Doing this early on might give you an idea of what the existing device will pick up.

Have fun.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...I dunno Jeff. I keep thinking about this and, even though I've never done such a thing, having a really difficult time imagining that little vac doing what you want or need it to do. So I need to ask a few questions...before my last brain cell declares that I'm nuts and runs off to Canada!! :tongue3:

1) As this is meant for working cracks and crevices, would you ever have need of such a device below the water line?
2) Will you be loosening up your material first? If so, what methods would you use? Pry tool? Pressurized air? A water flush?
3) How much actual suction do you need? For how long (how long batteries last)?
4) Is it allowable for you to use a gas powered vac? If so, have you considered a small, cheap shop vac with a string trimmer engine?
5) Do you normally hike in a long way? (this question is rhetorical - answer to yourself)

1) Yes for crack and crevice cleaning and not to be used in the water.
2) Yes. Got plenty of busting and pry tools, not much for crack and crevice tools. No air or water ever used.
3) With two batteries and limited use, endurance should not be a problem, tho when I reduce the intake, it'll work harder.
4) Gas would draw attention and way tooo big and heavy. This vac is light, breaks down and fits nicely in my pack with batteries. All good things if it works.
5) Not so much anymore. :laughing7:

Herb. Great ideas for prototype work and testing! :occasion14:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking (and we all know how dangerous that is) that the hardest part is going to be adapting a hose to the unit and getting a good seal on it. I know those hand held battery powered vacuums have limited suction so you're going to have to make the most of what little ya got. That being said, the designers of the vacuum made the opening on the stock unit a certain size that relates to the power of the motor. I have a feeling that if you were to calculate the area of the opening in square inches and then size your hose so it has the same (or close to it) area on a cross section, you should have about the same suction. The trick is going to be making the adapter so it uses the full area.

I've got an idea on how it could be made but you may need a little bit of help with the construction. I'll call you later and describe what I've got in mind here. Trying to describe it here would take forever.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
3) With two batteries and limited use, endurance should not be a problem, tho when I reduce the intake, it'll work harder.

You might want to use some duct tape to seal the existing suction port down to a small ID suction hose and then test the suction to see what size/weight particles it will pick up. Doing this early on might give you an idea of what the existing device will pick up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a great shop vacation hat is cordless, take a look at the Milwaukee 18v shop vacation. I just bought one, $100. Only draw back, it did not come with a battery and charger, add another $100. Good thing is you can also use around the shop or house. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want a great shop vacation hat is cordless, take a look at the Milwaukee 18v shop vacation. I just bought one, $100. Only draw back, it did not come with a battery and charger, add another $100. Good thing is you can also use around the shop or house. Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill

Yes and close to the other as far as $$$ go. Fixed income dictates reduce, reuse, recycle.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bill

I like vacation hats...all mine are cordless!
LoL [emoji23]

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing he has auto-correct enabled on his spell check.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something I came up with yesterday. Comments/better ideas encouraged.

Jeff when I get stuck on any of my inventions I just wander the aisles of Home Depot looking for premade things that can be adapted. The CC home depot is pretty big. Only problem are the employees, some are just too helpful. I would have to explain my idea and I don't want to. When I finally move in to CC I will show you my latest black sand invention. (aisles wondered at home depot and walmart for most parts)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As no stores are close to us, I have to settle for catalogs. But the Grainger catalog is more awesome than their website and store combined!! Also browse through Surplus Center and Northern Tool catalogs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread