What to look for when buying land for hobbyist/family recreation mining?

jdlev

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

Gold mining noob here...well, not total noob, but close enough. Always been fascinated with gold mining...really enjoy the outdoors (especially since I'm an IT guy and have the bottlecap glasses to prove it!)...and never been scared of a little hard work. With 2 small boys, I thought purchasing a small 12-25 acre tract of rural land would be great for recreation, camping, fishing, and you guessed it...mining! :) Only problem is I have no idea what to look for beyond areas that have had a decent stream flowing through them. Now, we're certainly going in with images of 15 pound nuggets dancing in our heads, but I think the prospects for the areas we're considering aren't terrible either!

We live in Concord, NC...which is in Cabarrus County....which is home to Reed Gold Mine and the city of Gold Hill...one of the first Gold Rushes in the US occurred right here in our backyard :) As for mining, I've always been interested in building my own suction dredge to do some stream dredging (I'm a big time tinkerer). Maybe some small equipment to move a bit of dirt, and we'd also consider surface mining. Not really interested in heading underground. So I have a few questions:

1) Where the heck do I begin? Should I just look for land along waterways near Reed Gold Mine?
2) What should I look for in the land? Topographic maps that show valleys?
3) Does the USGS provide any public information like mineral data or historic stream beds? Any other public entities I should consider?
4) Are there any land features I should lookout for that would make the property a horrible prospect for mining?
5) Will most land sellers allow you to test the property for minerals or is it even wise to ask? I know that real estate contracts often have a special section regarding mineral rights.
6) I'm a bookworm, so any books on finding the right land would be awesome!

Thanks for any tips and advice!!! I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for something in the gold belt, here's a good map of gold mines, you can zoom in then click the "i" to identify
click on the gold dots that brings up a dialog box with links to USGS MRDS data http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/USGold/GetMap
probably good to find some prospectors in the area that can look over some of your choices
once you start talking with real estate agents, sometimes gold is on the south fork and not on the north, research, research, research
NC passed a law in 2015 to disclose if mineral rights don't go with the property http://www.ncrec.gov/Forms/Consumer/rec425.pdf

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is one of your first posts - so, Welcome Aboard jdlev! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try the State Geologic maps at Land Matters. Check out the "HELP" button at the top of the map to get a handle on how the maps work. This isn't your typical internet mapping site and there are some powerful tools to help you research. You will save a lot of time if you use those tools.

After you zoom in to your general area of interest click on the map while in "i" (information) mode. You will get a window with information on the geology of your area. Look for the item "National Geologic Map Database Query". There will see an underlined link titled "Click for Map List". When you click you will get an extensive list of all the Geologic maps available for that area.

Download the maps that interest you and put those bottlecap glasses to work, study, study, study. After a while you will begin to see patterns of geology and mineralogy that point to the areas of highest potential.

Once you understand where the gold might be get your "boots on the ground". Join local prospecting/mineral clubs. Visit cafes and parks local to the area and strike up conversations with the old timers. You will get a lot of rumor and B.S, but eventually you will find some gems in all that overburden.

Check out the properties for sale in your area of new interest. Make sure the mineral rights (subsurface rights) are included with the property. If the deed doesn't specify those rights they don't come with the property.

Don't expect to get rich or even pay for the property you buy. If the gold was that good it has already been mined or the minerals are already owned by someone else. All those properties that didn't come with mineral rights? The minerals, including gold, are owned by someone else.

There is gold to be found there and it's on private property. Good luck on your search. That's a beautiful area of the country and I'm sure you will find "gold" of several types. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're in Concord so there is gold in every stream. We have a GPAA club that meets in Kannapolis each month. My suggestion is don't worry about buying any land until you do some research. Drop me a pm and I'll hook you up and get you to a meeting.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
First off.... Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your stay in our little asylum. ;)

When I first saw the title of your thread, my first thought was "Oh no....Here we go again!" After reading through your post I was glad to see that you're not looking to just buy a claim like so many noobs are. I found it refreshing that didn't turn out to be the case as that is a subject that has been gone over on the forum time and time again.

Barry has given you some great ideas and I'd like to add that you shouldn't only be looking for gold in that area. There are a lot of gem stones to be found in N.C. as well. Some of them can be worth good money if you find the right customer(s) to buy them. As it's already been stated, research into different areas is important. The internet has tons of materials you can use and for the most part it's free. Mining history, maps, geological reports etc can help you narrow your search down quite a bit. Keep an open mind and think outside the box. Ask questions here and 95.9% of the time you'll get good answers. (The other 4.1% will be jokes)

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have searched for gold bearing properties for sale. Sampled a bit and found gold at both locations I tried. Gotta do it quickly while your their realtor is looking away and throw any gold back you find!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jdlev, good luck in your search. I don't have anything constructive to add, but I did want to say that I have the same dream, and my desires/expectations are the same as yours. I call myself a "recreational gold prospector"; I do this activity instead of golf, fishing, boating, etc. It's my hobby.
If, someday, I could own property where I could do my hobby in my back yard - wow, that would be awesome. I hope it becomes a reality for you. I'm still some years away from being able to move south from where we live in New Jersey, but NC is on the short list of eventual destinations.

Please keep this thread going and tell us all what you learn. (and PM me if you want to brag about an awesome property or two you've found. I have some saved on Zillow just because I like to dream....)

- Brian

OP
OP
J

jdlev

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Miners Batman! Thank you all so much for all of the extremely helpful responses. Tons of great information in there. Sure looks like I found the right forum!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread