chemistry question

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrofloric????!!!!! That sheet is WAY NASTY!!!!!

ratled

Frank Tillman

Nov 16, 2016
Western USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert here, but from what I hear, I would be very careful with it and only use it as needed.
When you start playing with things bad things can happen.
Hear it goes beyond just burning skin, other bad systemic things happen.

I don't know, just hope you are careful.

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful is my middle name [extreme sarcasm]. I have a healthy respect for things that can dissolve many things , me included.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With HF it's not burning your skin, it slides between the molecules until it hits your bones where it reacts with the calcium.
"Hydrofluoric acid burns are a unique clinical entity. Dilute solutions deeply penetrate before dissociating, thus causing delayed injury and symptoms. "

ratled

No expert here, but from what I hear, I would be very careful with it and only use it as needed.
When you start playing with things bad things can happen.
Hear it goes beyond just burning skin, other bad systemic things happen.

I don't know, just hope you are careful.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
also it's a neurotoxin. it'll kill your nerve endings before you can feel it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://chronicleflask.com/2013/04/16/the-acid-that-really-does-eat-through-everything/. <= a great piece on just how nasty it is.

That said, like any acid it gets used up in a one way reaction with the rock (in your case) that it was dissolving. If the pH gets to neutral, it's done being acid and would require a complex endothermic process to recreate it as acid. So, no you can't "recover" it.

Also since it's so nasty, never assume it's safe after using it, even at a neutral pH. Dispose of properly. If you dump it down the drain, it'll eat your pipes so not a good plan.

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have reclaimed nitric to be reused. Wasn't that big a deal, I was just hoping HF might be similar in that respect. Oh well.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have reclaimed nitric to be reused. Wasn't that big a deal, I was just hoping HF might be similar in that respect. Oh well.

Check the pH. If it's still low, you can filter it and continue to use it...just as you've done with nitric acid. Just pick a filter media that it won't eat!!

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW Happy Thanksgiving everybody. And drive very careful !

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neutralize with hydrated lime or bicabonate SLOWLY as you do not want it to exotherm. #1 rule-acid into water and never water into concentrated acids. NASTY stuff takes years to almost heal from exposure. Does a fantastic job though. Err on the side a caution-John

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The MOB discovered that it dissolves bodies real well in a drum.

Actually. sulphuric acid is good at that, if you have a body you want to get rid of!

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is what i'm wanting. Thanks !

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rod, you be really careful. A couple of breaths of the fumes from that stuff will eat your lungs, and I'm not kidding. Be a little afraid of it so it doesn't cause you problems. I like you best alive and kickin'....LOL
Jim

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to a pdf for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the 70% HF. Be sure to look at the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) recommendations.
http://www.sc.edu/ehs/HF/HF%20MSDS%20Honeywell.pdf
This stuff has always scared the bejesus out of me! This isn't muratic or even nitric and cannot be treated as such. Really, you need to be in a full lab type environment. I'll do a lot for gold but at the end of the day it's just gold.

As a side note for everyone, we should really be looking a little more closely at exactly what we do sometimes. Things like looking at a MSDS for something as exotic as this. And yes HF is exotic for the small scale miner and isn't a backyard thing

ratled

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rod,
HF gas accumulates in the body, it never leaves. After the first overdose (ppm as indicated in the MSDS) the medics will be able to revive you, then you will be given a medical alert bracelet that explains your condition. The second overexposure will put you in the hospital where they will revive you. The third overexposure will put you in the ground where the worms will enjoy you till they hit the HF, then they will join you.

This material is very dangerous to humans, extreme care must be taken with its use as otherwise it will kill you. Stay well........63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread