Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I started a project this week and I wanted to post what's happened so far...before the FOG syndrome sets in. :icon_scratch:

OK, so last year I buy a shrimp gun from a local going outta business hardware store for half off ($20). Modify it for 5 bucks to collect gold. It handles like an Army Bazooka but first time using it, I find a .045 gram picker!!:headbang: It's my first and I'm sold! So...now...I want to take it to the next level. Like pumping without losing anything. Like pumping into an in-stream sluice, a bucket or a pan directly via 1 inch hose...would be so much easier. But first...a little background.

Performance of original configuration of shrimp gun as adapted for gold recovery:

Pros: 6' overall length. 1 inch intake for deep cleaning. Quiet. Crayfish hunting is a definite alibi. Disturbs only what I want, where I want and water is instantly returned as it flows out of the Super Sluice pan for con collection. Reaches where I can't.

Cons: Dumps rapidly at the end of each stroke as no check valve..at all. Adapt by pulling less and raising sooner but still a PITA. An angled intake (45/90) would help but still a major PITA (and not in direct point of contact with bottom as you can rarely see while operating it anyway. Also, the last most precious thing you sucked up will be the first thing to dump out on the ground on it's way to the pan or bucket soooo. And the same thing as a pro is a con as I had to shorten it to 5'2" as new hardware made it as tall as me! 6"2. Did it work? At first. With 2 check vales and straight water? You could flood a place real quick. BUT...Kinda no too. Suction is provided by a wafer Styrofoam-like freeze plug style (obviously need to upgrade it to a leather "seat cushion" wrap around...maybe even chamois?.) IDK???

With both styles of check valves (cone @ intake with 1/2 pound spring pressure and a HD flapper valve at exhaust...and if I work up a sweat... it pulls some...with valves partially blocked open with -1/2" rocks...ugh. :BangHead:

Here's some pics as I stumble my way thru the process. I have 2 types of check valves. A flapper for the exhaust to the bucket that I connected so as to expel all water but retain heavies but alas, -1/2 intake was MUCH too BIG for them as both valves opened, stuck and failed. So...1/8 inch screened before entering is much more realistic. Which means...I gotta come up with a shot glass style end for the intake to filter out all cept for -1/8. Or an X with a couple of bolts in the 1 inch intake ???

Results were less than spectacular. I mean, once I got the second (exh) check valve in place, it pumped water out like a fire truck. Solids tho? Not so much. How do I know this? Watching them in a clear hose race back and forth as I stroked. And nothing but black sand in the recovery bucket. Already $50 into it. ::) More as this story develops...

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

005.JPG

The second check valve made all the difference...till I added rock to the slurry...

001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

006.JPG A bigger badder bucket and my poor mans BGT which the gun WILL eventually feed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This sort of story reminds me of why I advise people to just buy a Gold-n-Sand hand pump. Once and done, done right.

Of course there IS also the fun of experimenting, the pride of makership and all that...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see what that beast can put in to a bucket! I have known a few people that have done home builds.... They pumped 3 times what my Gold-N-Sand could!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to see what that beast can put in to a bucket! I have known a few people that have done home builds.... They pumped 3 times what my Gold-N-Sand could!

I wish I had a pic cuz the raw amount of just water and back sand discharged was off the chart TILL I added a 10 foot hose, -1/2" gravel and bucket. It ain't over. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks good. I had the same design and had the same problem with the valves. Rocks kept getting stuck. So I removed the valves and not mine is just a straight pipe with leather pump cup. I can change out the ends in the field. I do have a 45 on the suction end and that works pretty well for keeping material in the sucker. Just have to make sure and turn it when you bring it up.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leather or good quality nylon impregnated thick rubber works mighty fine(OSH/Capitol Rubber) and lasts a long time. John

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sort of story reminds me of why I advise people to just buy a Gold-n-Sand hand pump. Once and done, done right.

Of course there IS also the fun of experimenting, the pride of makership and all that...
Sounds like my clock repair technique! Do it yourself until you screw it up worse Then take it to the shop, so you can learn what not to do:laughing7:, then forget what not to do when the next one comes along.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff the hose on the sucker end? OK' top or bottom of the gun? try making the hose a little shorter than the suction stroke. If the hose is longer than the stroke of the gun your dirt will just slide back and forth.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff the hose on the sucker end? OK' top or bottom of the gun? try making the hose a little shorter than the suction stroke. If the hose is longer than the stroke of the gun your dirt will just slide back and forth.

I really like your train of thought here. Kinda like my highbanker running up hill to the header box. It's just the gun is so big...a five foot tether will be inhibitive. Will test before cutting tho. :icon_thumleft:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another thought how about a hand powered bilge pump? Kind of the same idea but the seals might be better?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be a good setup with no hose but I would think that it would be a PITA to keep emptying the chamber. Thats just my opinion.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the input and thoughts. At this point I'm looking at making an 1/8" mini classifier for the intake and test again. Gold n sand actually makes one for their
X-treme dredge but I don't see it in any parts list. I emailed them about it but it looks like they aren't selling much of anything right now...

Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like my clock repair technique! Do it yourself until you screw it up worse Then take it to the shop, so you can learn what not to do:laughing7:, then forget what not to do when the next one comes along.

heh

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be a good setup with no hose but I would think that it would be a PITA to keep emptying the chamber. Thats just my opinion.

I agree. Just an option I hadn't seen yet. You know the water is released out the top, right?
I could make a smaller PVC tube, strap tie it along side and put a drain cap at the bottom of it. Thanks :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread