cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stepped in quicksand yesterday. But fortunately I had one hand on a big fence post. I don't think it was very deep but the front tip of my right foot went in about 4" before i realized it. It was mucky pulling it out and my foot never got wet. If you look at the 2nd photo I was walking over to a guy working his gold cube. We had a good chat while my wife patiently waited.

This is at a county beach about 15 miles south of where I am temp staying. (Pacific ocean in No CA)

This guy was just feeding it straight beach sand (real mucky with lots of black sand and (according to the guy) Beryllium or Palladium) He claims he is getting 1.5oz AU every couple of days.

This was all about one hour after high tide. All the water is salt water. On the 1st photo is the parks parking lot. The sand covered the barriers and flooded the parking lot with up to 6" sand in some spots. This is on a county road and there are signs that warn waves could come in and cover the road at high tide.

Attachments

• 20161203_150455.jpg
    20161203_150455.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 20161203_143741.jpg
    20161203_143741.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It floods here every Spring. Sadly, no gold or black sands are brought in to our driveway. :BangHead:

Sounds like you met a smart guy out there. ...He didn't mind you being there? Or that his secret spot had been compromised?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..He didn't mind you being there? Or that his secret spot had been compromised?

No not at all. When I said good bye he said "see you later". Then I said "if you see me I would be a claim jumper" he said "no problem this area is so big".

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking this is up around the Klamath.....

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
No not at all. When I said good bye he said "see you later". Then I said "if you see me I would be a claim jumper" he said "no problem this area is so big".
...And you're still at home now because............ :dontknow:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...I think I'd head straight to the hardware store tomorrow and buy some ribbed rubber matting the lumber to make a beach box. :thumbsup:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I stepped in quicksand yesterday. But fortunately I had one hand on a big fence post. I don't think it was very deep but the front tip of my right foot went in about 4" before i realized it. It was mucky pulling it out and my foot never got wet. If you look at the 2nd photo I was walking over to a guy working his gold cube. We had a good chat while my wife patiently waited.

This is at a county beach about 15 miles south of where I am temp staying. (Pacific ocean in No CA)

This guy was just feeding it straight beach sand (real mucky with lots of black sand and (according to the guy) Beryllium or Palladium) He claims he is getting 1.5oz AU every couple of days.

This was all about one hour after high tide. All the water is salt water. On the 1st photo is the parks parking lot. The sand covered the barriers and flooded the parking lot with up to 6" sand in some spots. This is on a county road and there are signs that warn waves could come in and cover the road at high tide.

Check this out..beach gold - California Gold (this area may be where you were). The quantity he claims to recover seems more than a bit high but past ocean placer miners, at least in Oregon, did pretty well so...
On a side note, the guy may have been stretching the California beach rules for mining but must have thought it worth the risk or just didn't know them.:dontknow: He does seem to be set up above the vegetation line and that would be legal in Oregon from what I know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out..beach gold - California Gold (this area may be where you were). The quantity he claims to recover seems more than a bit high but past ocean placer miners, at least in Oregon, did pretty well so...
On a side note, the guy might have been stretching the California beach rules for mining but must have thought it worth the risk or just didn't know them.:dontknow: He seems to be set up above the vegetation line and that would be legal in Oregon from what I know.

I am pretty sure he knows the rules. He said the cops are more lenient there. (but he was cuffed by the rangers in Orick further north)

The only reason he is where he is (I think) is because he has a small pond of sea water. I did notice some filled buckets near a small rise about 40-50 feet west. They may be pulling from there.

About the amount of AU he claims could have been stretched (I would have said the opposite) kind of like a fish story.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know Dan. $900 a day from beach sand? Seems like the beach would be a little more crowded. Tell me...did you see any burlap or fish oil?

I believe "she" uses a vibrating grease table now.....:tongue3:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
oooooo.... vibrating....

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super high tides and storms coming in from the northwest bring in the gold from offshore deposits
each beach is different though, when I was a kid going to Eureka to my uncles my dad would point out a big
sand cliff and pond as the place they mined 100,000 Oz of gold from...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure he knows the rules. He said the cops are more lenient there. (but he was cuffed by the rangers in Orick further north)

The only reason he is where he is (I think) is because he has a small pond of sea water. I did notice some filled buckets near a small rise about 40-50 feet west. They may be pulling from there.

About the amount of AU he claims could have been stretched (I would have said the opposite) kind of like a fish story.

Wait.... You said Orick further north. ^^^ Crescent city is 42 miles from Orick..... That spot must be around big lagoon.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super high tides and storms coming in from the northwest bring in the gold from offshore deposits
each beach is different though, when I was a kid going to Eureka to my uncles my dad would point out a big
sand cliff and pond as the place they mined 100,000 Oz of gold from...

Doesn't the beach gold also (Gold beach for example) come from the rivers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions