I have a miller table and I can get a lot of black sand.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it takes forever to process anything.

What does any one think if I bought a matt, like a Martin Gold stop and cut it to size and slipped it on top of the table? do you think it would be an improvement? Would I need to get a bigger pump and raise the top end to a higher level?

Miller Table I bought this one.

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, You have to remember that a Miller Table is not designed for processing mass quantities of materials. It's a "Finishing tool" and as such it's limited by several factors. Size alone is going to limit how much you can run at a time. Raw materials will require a longer length to give the gold time to settle to the bottom so it can be caught.

I feel that you would be much better off with a sluice that is about 3-4ft long X 10 inches wide and a good pump that puts out at least 1500 gallons per hour. If you up the pump to 2200 gph you could run the sluice flatter and have a better chance of catching more of that micro gold. Angle, flow, feed rate and surface are all factors in gold recovery. Keep it level side to side, adjust the flow so it's not blowing the materials through the sluice like a jet engine and trying different drop angles along the length and with a little trial and error you'll be able to recover 90%+ of any gold in your materials. Once you've concentrated the materials down with the real sluice, run the cons on the Miller Table. Depending on the materials you could use several different types of mats to catch the gold. I'd recommend using a couple different types in the box. Having the same stuff all the way down the sluice is insanity. Different surfaces (ribbed mat, moss, expanded metal etc) will each catch gold in different ways. If you only have a single type of surface in the sluice it only gives you one way to catch the gold. Read up on changing recovery surfaces on the GoldHog site. Doc does a much better job of explaining it than I can.

EDIT: Getting every bit of gold is not an easy thing to do. Even the Big Boys loose some during processing. How much you get will depend on how much time you want to spend on it. Some folks (like me) save up black sands after we've gotten all the visible gold out to process further. Things like crushing, roasting or amalgamating take time and many don't want to dedicate a small lab to be able to do these processes in a timely manner. The extra gold you get out of these processes isn't much, but I'm an old lab rat and like to do this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget to classify your material and run each size separately.

Irish hit the nail on the head, that your table is a finishing tool. As for the pump, if you're working this at home, could also use 2 cheaper electric pumps to up your GPM's.

Play with it, run several times under different settings/flow rates, and see how it all turns out. If you want to catch the super fine gold, maybe scale back to 1 pump and classify for the super fine size.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
KCM is correct on the classifying. (I forgot to mention it) Sluicing, using a miller table etc is nothing more than sorting materials by specific gravity which is much more effective when everything is close to the same size.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First off, all said above is true. I use a tablespoon to feed miine. In addition, try different flow rates and drop, using some fine gold for testing. I cannot stress this enough cuz real gold don't lie and does what gold does. If I had my Miller Table 2 years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble collecting chit. A small amount of fines is cheap enuff to play with and you can dial it in from there. Not like you will lose any of it. :icon_thumleft:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I feed my table is with a PE squirt bottle. Get the ones at Harbor Freight (3 pack) and cut the very end of the tip off. (~3/16" diameter opening) Use the bottle like a snuffer in your wet cons and then use it to apply sand to the table. Filling the 8oz bottle to about 6oz of sand and the rest water seems to work best. Do classify the cons smaller than the width of the tip opening, or the clogs will frustrate you to no end.

I run with a homebuilt acrylic cutting mat table that's about 10"x17". It runs a Alpine 180 GPH AC pump, instead of the Pacific Hydrostar (knock off) pictured in the link. I also added 2 LED gooseneck clamp lights for the table. I keep them to the sides crosslighting the head of the table. That really makes the gold stand out, and makes IDing with a loupe easier. I did sand the mat with 400 grit to scuff the mat. Only bent/flat/foil gold leaves the table. That stuff will lift off and fly off the table with little provocation. Get the brush near it, and it's gone! Have to pan that stuff. I also built mine with an adjustable dam, and I have it set currently to penny height. For water smoothing and bubble control, I added a piece of humidifier belt, and later a piece of Scotchbright pad.

For speed, figure about 2-3 days for 1/3 gallon of cons.

I've thought about adding a thin mat and using the table as a sluice to ultraconcentrate things. With the adjustable dam, I could do it if the mat is thin enough. I do have some vinyl runner with 1/32" ribs that might work if I can keep the mat flat enough. I do have enough head of water behind the dam to run.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small tables runs small amounts and classification is the king of recovery. I run a D.A.M. Industries bowl(now blue bowl) and much more production for me and equal recovery and a lot less $$$$$$$. Lots of luck as just slow down and just learn to enjoy your tool as it is what it is. Now a REAL Miller table rock quanity. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread