Challenge to ban on dredging for gold headed to U.S. Supreme Court Read more here: h

T

Tuolumne

Challenge to California ban on dredging for gold headed to U.S. Supreme Court | The Sacramento Bee

your thoughts tnet?

n California history, is there a more iconic figure than the prospector? The cries of ā€œgold!ā€ from Sutterā€™s Mill in 1848 drew legions of fortune-seekers from around the world, creating an economic boom that made the cause of statehood unstoppable. Indeed, the state seal includes the image of a prospector.

Damien Schiff
Damien Schiff Dave Kim
The search for precious metals has always required overcoming obstacles. Mark Twain offered personal testimony, in ā€œRoughing Itā€: ā€œAs midnight was announced, fourteen men, duly armed ... proclaimed their ownership of (our claim) under the new name of the ā€˜Johnson.ā€™ But ... our partner ... put in a sudden appearance about that time, with a cocked revolver in his hand, and said that his name must be added to the list, or he would ā€˜thin out the Johnson company some.ā€™ ā€

More than a century and a half later, prospecting remains popular. Thousands of Californians still venture into our high country in quest of gleaming nuggets.

But today, a new form of claim-jumping awaits them ā€“ an assault by the state on the gold-seekers and on federal authority.

The regulatory ambush targets the ā€œsuction dredgeā€ that prospectors use to ā€œpan outā€ their claims in streams and rivers. Itā€™s a lawnmower-sized motorized suction hose which draws material from the streambed. A floating sluice box separates the valuable minerals from the gravel, which is redeposited back into the stream only after it has been cleaned of mercury, fishing weights and other heavy trash.

For decades, California allowed suction dredging, with regulations to safeguard the environment and to protect fish. In 2009, however, the Legislature upset this careful balance with a de facto ban. Officials cited environmental concerns, but prospectors countered that any problems could be addressed by updating the permitting system. Prospectors also argue that their pastime actually cleans streams and creates fish habitat.

The controversy recently came to a head at the California Supreme Court, in the case of Brandon Rinehart of Antioch. While prospecting in the Plumas National Forest, he was cited by state agents for using a suction dredge without a permit and hit with two criminal charges.

In court, he argued that the ban is pre-empted by the federal governmentā€™s 1872 general mining act, which allows prospectors to explore federal land and acquire rights to minerals they discover.

An appellate court sided with Rinehart, holding that if suction dredging is the only feasible way to mine his claim on federal property, the stateā€™s permitting ban would be void.

But the California Supreme Court reversed. In a decision finalized last month, the court held that the state has not flouted the federal mining act. The justices contended that federal law is concerned with safeguarding mining claims ā€“ not with ensuring the right to use any particular mining instrument.

Because this was a dramatic misinterpretation, Rinehart ā€“ supported by independent, small-scale miners and enthusiasts statewide ā€“ is preparing an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court in which he will ask that federal protections for prospectors be fully acknowledged.

He will argue that the federal law was designed to promote resource development by encouraging both the staking and working of mining claims. Californiaā€™s prohibition on suction dredging frustrates that purpose, because no other method is effective on many claims, and the environment can be protected by responsible regulation; a blunderbuss ban isnā€™t needed.

The state Supreme Courtā€™s decision was right about one point: ā€œCalifornia was shaped by the search for gold.ā€ It will be up to the Supreme Court of the United States to determine if the Golden State will remain true to its history.

Damien Schiff, a principal attorney with Pacific Legal Foundation, represents Brandon Rinehart in his forthcoming appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Contact Schiff at [email protected].

Read more here: Challenge to California ban on dredging for gold headed to U.S. Supreme Court | The Sacramento Bee

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50-50 shot at best. I'm praying for all Californians - for many reasons. :skullflag:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best way this could have went. A victory in the state would have just meant rule changes to cover the mistakes that caused them to lose in the first place. The supreme court has already ruled that dredging doesn't add anything to the water. With a mining friendly person nominated to take over the EPA, this will be a slam dunk! Again, best case scenario folks.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
This is the best way this could have went. A victory in the state would have just meant rule changes to cover the mistakes that caused them to lose in the first place. The supreme court has already ruled that dredging doesn't add anything to the water. With a mining friendly person nominated to take over the EPA, this will be a slam dunk! Again, best case scenario folks.
Time will tell if it does any good! remember what ole Arnold did in his waning time in office in Cal. He didn't help 1 bit!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time will tell if it does any good! remember what ole Arnold did in his waning time in office in Cal. He didn't help 1 bit!!!

If you're talking about the current resident, this shouldn't happen until he's gone. My understanding also is that Rinehart's current representation has never lost in front of the supreme court.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pacific Legal Foundation is the absolute best BUT they have lost before as no one is perfect except those who do nothing-google answers all-John

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me rephrase what I said. They have won their last 9 cases before the supreme court. I'm feeling way too much negativity on these forums. Thinking positive brings positive things. I'm in this fight because I don't want it to spread to the east coast. There's a new sheriff in town and the last 8 years are going to be put behind us. I could care less what some celebrity thinks about "manmade global warming". They're about to realize that opinion doesn't out way facts. Same goes for the dredging issues. These bans are gonna be reversed!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PUFF-PUFF-PASS ostrich dies in the end as his arse hangs out when head in the sand. Their is negative-positive-and reality based postings based on prior occurances based in a solid foundation. It's called life east/west you have to have lived the mining life as I have for over 60 years and politically active prez/vp/founder/board members/in many MANY organizations over 42 years to have a grasp on the insanity now going on. 100% illegal---immoral--and industry devasting current events are in play for over 8 years. Walk the walk out here as NO income per say as to back in the day is a horrendous price to pay when you do NOT get to play/work open and notoriously. When you live and support a family by mining and it's taken away you have a reason to be a po'd old man BUT still working my tail off for Pacific Legal Foundation, Keith Walker(litigant) and the WMA who are doing their level best to win the day. Wish you all the luck in the world but reality based insanity has killed the feast-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread