goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting Mercury out of the environment is always a good thing. Those in certain areas of California (as well as a few other areas) seem to have a lot more of it to deal with. A small percentage of it is legacy Mercury (left by the old timers) but much of it is naturally occurring from the large deposits of Cinnabar in those areas. Getting it out of the streams and rivers before it can become sequestered and turned into the more dangerous Methyl Mercury is a good thing. This is one reason that I've never understood the greenies whining about dredging.

The Greenies claim that all the Mercury in our streams and rivers is legacy Mercury which is far from the truth. Mercury is not cheap and those old timers that used it were generally very careful when using it in an effort to keep their overhead down. The main culprit is Mother Nature herself.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my Da was about 5 y. o. ,1935. he rediscovered a cinnabar mine.It had visible mercury . It was north of Bisbee Az . His whole world was gold mining. Mercury, cyanide,stamp mills. He showed his dad his mercury mine and it got promptly claim jumped ! As narrowminded parents they didn't think a 5 year old should have his own cinnabar claim.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Harumph! Some parents have no sense of adventure! A 5 year old with his own claim is a wonderful idea in my humble opinion. What a wonderful way to learn!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harumph! Some parents have no sense of adventure! A 5 year old with his own claim is a wonderful idea in my humble opinion. What a wonderful way to learn!
LOL.By the time my Old Man was 10, he had worked on a bucket line dredge,worked a cyanide leach.Crawled in and out of 100s of old hard rock shafts.All the excitement and danger involved.The family just trying to make it during the Depression.I wish he had written his stories down before he passed.Like catching rattlesnakes and tying strings to them to be used to guard his grandad's moonshine still!!Kids now days don't know what they're missing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread