mercury storage

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the vial, with the lid on it. If you worry about the sealing ability of the vial, put it inside a container, covered by water.

Frank Tillman

Nov 16, 2016
Western USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was offered and accepted a 1 oz. vial of merc. What is the safest way to store it?

Just keep it in the vial and put it somewhere it will stand up. I've had several vials of mercury placed inside small glass beakers
to prevent from tipping over, for over forty years, 1/4 lb and pound vials of mercury.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some that was stored in jar and a vial with a glass stopper , about 8 pounds total. I was worried about accidentally breaking them, or someone messing with it, seemed like everyone that saw it says" oh cool mercury: and want to play with it. So, I put them in a plastic five gallon bucket with a lid. Might be over kill, but it was the safest, way that I could think of and never have to worry about spills or people that were hanging out at the house at that time messing with it. If it would happen to break or spill it was all contained in the sealed bucket and out of sight...

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
With the equipment available today (Gold Cube, Gold Hog mats, CleanGold Sluice) there really is no need for mercury.
Why mess with the crap when you don't have to?:dontknow:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the equipment available today (Gold Cube, Gold Hog mats, CleanGold Sluice) there really is no need for mercury.

Let's not get back into that debate. Some use it, some don't. The end.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
No debate.... Just the way it is.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no use for Mercury myself, although seeing it rise in the morning sky is a nice sight. Small planet. :notworthy:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that they only specify the outside packaging and NOT the internal containment? Used to be water covered but read on another forum glycerine was the new mandate in a metal container, then the litter blah blah blah. Just like large amounts metal containment(forever) and glycerine mandatory under the DOT 2015 regs?John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dig in old mining areas you have to mess with it like it or not.

None of those widgets catch gold as small as mercury does.

It really isn't hard to deal with or store properly.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it in a snuffer bottle (with water) that still has the little red cap. keep that in a secure spot. Don't keep it in glass. Metal containers unless cast, stamped or turned have seams. don't use metal with seams. Keep it somewhere it stays relatively cool.

NEVER EVER use aluminum.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I find alot of mercury and use it to pick up my fine gold.
It has to be stored in water or it will evaporate and put off fumes. I have most of it stored in a plastic container with antifreeze to keep from freezing. I don't want it in my house.
I put a bead in my pan to get the last of the fine gold from the black sands then let it dry in a snuffer or wherever. The mercury is gone after no time and you have gold left. It's easy and no work at all. The gold will be stained silver from the mercury but it's still gold.
That's probably not pc but it works and it's effective.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
My main supply is stored in a plastic snuffer bottle that is kept inside a larger plastic bottle that is padded on the inside. My "Working" supply is kept in a small vial that is inside another larger vial. Everything is stored in my processing area and NOT in the house!

Even today with gold cubes, Gold Hog mats etc etc etc there are some areas that Mercury can be helpful in recovery. This is of course dependent on how far you want to take your processing. If you only want the visible stuff it's not really needed. In my area there is a lot of very fine (sub 200 mesh) gold to be had but you've got to really work for it.

We've talked several times on T-Net about mercury and there have always been those that are for or against its use. The choice is yours to make but if you have never worked with it, be sure you learn how to use it properly and safely. Proper personal safety equipment is a must as is proper venting. Always keep it stored well out of the reach of little people (and a lot of big ones that are fond of playing with shiny things) in a cool place.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those just getting into gold mining...
If you use it while panning in our public streams - you are tarnishing the image of the modern gold miner which results in our loss of rights.

If you are using it in your garage - that's your business...
Anybody remember an article posted on the New 49er's web site that described the legal battle one miner went through on the Klamath River (Calif.) after someone "turned him in" for supposedly melting car batteries for lead to make/sell diving weights? Once they have you in their cross hairs...a broken light bulb could result in enough trace mercury to cause a lot of headache. I think in this case there was a single pellet of bird shot that was used as evidence against him. I wish I could find a copy of that story.

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 2 old glass beakers from my grandfather. These were ised for mercury but these are new and empty. I'd sell them if you're interested

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is, My Brother in law just settled his fathers estate in San Diego. He brought back 5 lbs of mercury and asked me where he could sell it. #1. I know nothing about it and #2 Why would I. I don't even know how he has it stored but would assume its in his house. Sounds like he may have some HOLY CRAP moment in his future.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping some day, I'll run across a quart jar of mercury buried in the woods....my dad knew a guy that got a pound of gold out of something similar.

Apparently the old miners would wring the mercury out of some cheese cloth and back into the jar. Each time some of the fine gold would come out with it. Eventually it would add up and the miner apparently did not have the equipment to re-tort their mercury so there it stayed.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just keep it in a sturdy container, preferably a nalgene bottle. They are unbreakable and impermeable. A layer of water will prevent off gassing but if it's in a sealed container it's not going to release anything anywhere except inside the container. Then put it all in a plastic bin and store it in a safe place on the floor or bottom shelf...done.

Mercury has been so vilified in the last decade or two that most people fear it like plutonium. Methylmercury is wicked but elemental (liquid) mercury is approximately as toxic as lead. Just like when you first started using electricity, learn how it works and how to work with it or it will hurt.

I'v recovered about 20 pounds over the years, here's some...

20161216_230613.jpg

Attachments

• 20161216_230613.jpg
    20161216_230613.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 56

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread