Removing magnetite - three drop method

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The areas where I'm prospecting this fall/winter have a lot of magnetite in the sands. Having read multiple posts on removing magnetite and spending several months removing it from my concentrates - this is the process I found that removes the magnetite and minimizes losing gold.
Since I do not have as much experience as several other members on this site, I welcome your comments on my method and hearing about other processes of removing magnetite.

Here are closeup photos of the magnetite drops (1 thru 3) and the magnetite and other material (including gold) that the magnet picks up.

Pick up and drop one:
Notice amount of material besides magnetite that was picked up by the magnet. Gold picked up along with magnetite is within blue boxes.
remove_magnetite_1.jpg remove_magnetite_2.jpg

Pick up and drop two: Remaining material still has a few small colors.
remove_magnetite_3.jpg remove_magnetite_4.jpg

Pick up and drop three: This drop is clean
remove_magnetite_5.jpg remove_magnetite_6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The areas I am prospecting this fall/winter has a lot of magnetite in the sands. Having read multiple reports on removing magnetite and spending several months removing it from my concentrates - this is the process I found that removes the magnetite and minimizes losing gold.
Since I do not have as much experience as several other members on this site, I welcome your comments on my method and hearing about other processes of removing magnetite.

It says I need to sign in to see the video. This video is private. I think you need to make the video public.:icon_thumright:

This is some great black sand removal info.

OP
OP
Hunt4gold

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oregon, just checked - the video is set to 'public'. You should be able to see it. Mind trying again to play? thanks.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the same method, but do it dry instead.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's basically how I do it as well... underwater or completely dry, but I transfer it to different pans a few times. My wife loves seeing gold pans all over the counter in the kitchen.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy a "spin it off" and get it totally separated!

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I also do it dry -- mainly because my con's are dry to start with (drywasher) and water will make the gold adhere to the other stuff.
Lick your finger and stick it in some dry fine gold it sticks.
Three times seems to be the magic number for me as Hoser John pointed out it eliminates the Oreo cookie effect.
I've tested this a few times and spread the cons out real good -- three times leave none behind that I can see.
Mike

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also do it dry -- mainly because my con's are dry to start with (drywasher) and water will make the gold adhere to the other stuff.
Lick your finger and stick it in some dry fine gold it sticks.
Three times seems to be the magic number for me as Hoser John pointed out it eliminates the Oreo cookie effect.
I've tested this a few times and spread the cons out real good -- three times leave none behind that I can see.
Mike

Yep. Doing it/seeing it(after I was taught how to) was enuf for me as I got the same results "teasing" it out dry. Three and done. :thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pull it up thru more water depth with a wiggle motion and you'll get it down to two drops :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a magnetic cone that fits on a drill. The spinning causes the gold and other nonmagnetic substances to separate from the black sand. Google it.

A stupidly expensive piece of goldfarb. I'm sure someone needs it (;) ) but not us sluicers.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it actually works. The spinning causes the magnetics to fight for position and forces the gold out. There will be no visible gold in the black sand. I saw it in action at the GPAA gold show. It is considered one of the top new pieces of equipment.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some were I saw or
Read about a conveyor that had 2 rows of electro magnets that would split off all the magnetics. The 2 rows
Of electro magnets would start close together at 1 end, and gradually get further apart
The magnets were set just high enough to make the black sand stand up and dance toward the electro magnets, leaving the non magnetics behind.

M

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it actually works. The spinning causes the magnetics to fight for position and forces the gold out. There will be no visible gold in the black sand. I saw it in action at the GPAA gold show. It is considered one of the top new pieces of equipment.

Never said it wouldn't work. More of a cost effectiveness statement in the end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread