Idaho dredger fine bt EPA

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW COME ONNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :BangHead:

I voted for President Trump, and I am biting at the bit to see regulations from the EPA cut to the bone. Real change can't come soon enough. :skullflag:

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the time the violation occurred, suction dredge mining in the South Fork of the Clearwater River was prohibited to protect critical habitat for steelhead and bull trout under the Endangered Species Act. In addition, the South Fork of the Clearwater River is impaired under Section 303(d) of the Clean Water Act for sediment. In July, 2015, Mr. Rice operated in the South Fork despite the prohibition in effect at the time.

This guy ignored the rules, and/or took his chances. This is the type of thing that gives gold miners a bad name...during a time when we're trying to fight for legitimate rights.

I don't know this for certain, of course, but I suspect this might be a narrow stream, where a settlement pond would have been appropriate as well. We all need to be vigilant to cross our t's and dot our i's to go beyond what is required...even when permits don't specify additional steps to protect against downstream sedimentation. If this had, in fact, been the circumstances, it's possible that Fish & Wildlife would have noted his attention and perhaps issued a warning instead? Just guessing, of course.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well maybe july is spawning season of steelhead and bulltrout and we all remember the pictures of all the dead fish in the rivers , because of downstream sedimentation caused by diver based suction dredging:occasion14:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At the time the violation occurred, suction dredge mining in the South Fork of the Clearwater River was prohibited to protect critical habitat for steelhead and bull trout under the Endangered Species Act. In addition, the South Fork of the Clearwater River is impaired under Section 303(d) of the Clean Water Act for sediment. In July, 2015, Mr. Rice operated in the South Fork despite the prohibition in effect at the time.

This guy ignored the rules, and/or took his chances. This is the type of thing that gives gold miners a bad name...during a time when we're trying to fight for legitimate rights.

I don't know this for certain, of course, but I suspect this might be a narrow stream, where a settlement pond would have been appropriate as well. We all need to be vigilant to cross our t's and dot our i's to go beyond what is required...even when permits don't specify additional steps to protect against downstream sedimentation. If this had, in fact, been the circumstances, it's possible that Fish & Wildlife would have noted his attention and perhaps issued a warning instead? Just guessing, of course.
It's not a little stream, or narrow...it's a full-fledged river, unless he was WAY upstream, which I doubt. If he was dredging during spawning season for bull trout and salmon he earned his fine.
The Clearwater River, all three forks, is one of the cleanest and clearest rivers in the US...excepting the lower reaches of the Middle Fork. It's also important spawning habitat.
Jim

Last edited:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So only ONE of the dozens of dredgers on the Southfork in July 2015 got caught???
Drove by them and saw their flag flying from the guardrails.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the only one that pled guilty and said yes sir, anything you say sir.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So only ONE of the dozens of dredgers on the Southfork in July 2015 got caught???
Drove by them and saw their flag flying from the guardrails.

The only one they could ID and he wouldn't give up the rest.....................

ratled

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how the river bottom can be considered pollutants the guy wasn't introducing anything into the river that wasn't already there to begin with, although I see the sediment issue also disturbing the spawn.But he was charged wrong by charging him with discharging pollutants.IMO.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, I seem to remember that the Supreme Court said that picking things up from the bottom of a stream or river and dropping them right back in DID NOT constitute a discharge. Then again the EPA doesn't seem to be required to listen to the SC when they don't want to.

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet . I think it was Scalia's opinion . I paraphrase "Putting a ladle into a pot of soup, taking it out and then putting in back in''. Merry Christmas Jeff

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My very first introduction to dredging was in the 60's. I was just a kid in Warren ID and I asked my Dad where did all these giant stacks of rocks and ponds come from??? He said that years ago, a thing called a dredge moved all the rocks around while they gathered the gold at the bottom and the result trapped the fish in the ponds, where they did so well, that every pond/lake had brook trout in it. That's why they call them dredge ponds.

And that's bad how???

Last edited:

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well maybe july is spawning season of steelhead and bulltrout and we all remember the pictures of all the dead fish in the rivers , because of downstream sedimentation caused by diver based suction dredging:occasion14:

that was irony pat8-) there are no such pics because it never happend

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how the river bottom can be considered pollutants the guy wasn't introducing anything into the river that wasn't already there to begin with, although I see the sediment issue also disturbing the spawn.But he was charged wrong by charging him with discharging pollutants.IMO.

seems they base it on exactly this,they included rocks and sand in the cwa list of pollutants,no matter where it came from or how much it is

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-settles-idaho-gold-miner-clean-water-act-discharge-violation

A POO? Thought i learned here that this is only required for significant disturbances.

By federal law a Plan of Operation is only required when you want to bring in bulldozers or heavy excavators and a reclamation plan is required. Hands and Pans type of operations do not require them at any time no matter how big a hole you dig.* As far as dredging goes, I'm not sure. Since your average suction dredge would take all day to move/process what an excavator can move in a couple of scoops I wouldn't consider that as needing a POO or NOI. Any time you can avoid having to file a NOI or POO you're much better off. Both are CONTRACTS with the grubberment and we know who always ends up on the crappy end of the stick where those are concerned. Ask any of the Native American tribes

* See USFS V Tierney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread