3D Mapping Test - Please help.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been working on a 3D mapping system. I've put together a sample map of Rich Hill, Arizona with some mine information.

There is a bunch of stuff these maps can do but I'm not sure if they will work on enough peoples browsers to make it worthwhile to pursue development of this system.

Please give it a try and tell me what you think. (Caution - this is about a 7 megabyte map and may take a while to load if you are on a slow connection)
3D map HERE.

You can move around in the 3D environment with your mouse. Pan, Zoom and get Information from the mines. Try typing in an "r" and watch the mountain spin in 3D. Type an "l" to turn on or off the mine labels. It's a lot of fun and could be a cool feature for researchers if it works for enough people.

This map is smoking fast on my development machine using the latest Firefox browser but doesn't work at all on my Safari browser. It works in Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox on my Windows 10 computer but it's clunky. It doesn't work very well on my Windows XP machine in the latest Firefox.

Give it a try and let me know if you like it or hate it. If it's working well for you might consider going to a bigger map version for more fun. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Loaded like greased lightning for me Barry. (Firefox on Frontier DSL connection) I can see the use of something like this. Is there anyway to superimpose elevation lines on it as well? I think that would be handy. The only thing I'd try to do is to put in some movement limits. If you go to far it gives you a view of the underside. Unless you're planning on including the maps for the lode mine tunnels, shafts etc having it go upside down is a bit of a pain. Just my 0.254865 cents which have been adjusted for inflation.

Jeff

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jeff. :thumbsup:
What operating system are you running?

I can limit movement but you already guessed that I have plans for the "bottom" if this works out. 8-) I can put elevation lines or topos or pretty much anything I want on the surface or the bottom. I can increase the resolution quite a bit too. The only limit is the ability of the web user to load and run the map. That's why I'm testing to see if it's worth putting a bunch of time into.

Heavy Pans

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Win7 64bit -- Pentium 4 dual core processor at 2.7 GHZ -- Firefox -- DSL 2.10 DL speed -- Took 30 seconds to load.
Mike

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
works great, very fast.

win 7 64bit.
chrome
1.3ghz dual core apu
radeon HD 6290

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Less than 2 second download, W 10, IE, Works great, HP gaming laptop

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Win 7 here too Barry. I think we've talked enough over the last few years for me to have a good idea on how your mind works (overdrive), so it wasn't all that hard to "guess". ;)

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not working on Vista Business 32bit Nvidia 8800GT card
firefox 45.01 seems I need a newer WebGL its supported but would need to update my 2008 video card drivers :tongue3:

works on android 5.1 opened in Chrome browser, large version works too, can zoom and rotate just have to do it with a light touch

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than 2 second download, W 10, IE, Works great, HP gaming laptop

:icon_scratch: Whatchya playin?

i5 6500 w7 here

Works great! I know you guys didn't respond to email but put the landmatters into mobile app form and sell the full version for a couple bucks on the the app store and ensure the future of the damn thing, donations gonna run out as old hermits die off.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to somewhat work on my android tablet. Loaded fast, can move around, pan, zoom, rotate, flip upside down,click on items to see stats. Takes finger control on a tablet but looks functional. Galaxy Tab S 8.4 running Android 6.0.1 using Chrome browser. I'll try it on my desktop tonight or in the AM.

I like it better than the 2d maps. Nice work!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
works for me Barry. Internet explorer crappy radio internet that slows in the rain. Took a few minutes to load. But, once it did I could navigate fine even using keyboard controls.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Whatchya playin?

i5 6500 w7 here

Works great! I know you guys didn't respond to email but put the landmatters into mobile app form and sell the full version for a couple bucks on the the app store and ensure the future of the damn thing, donations gonna run out as old hermits die off.

I'm not an old hermit. I don't think using it mobile does it justice anyways. I also think Barry want's it to remain free as all the info is free anyway, He and Rubyminer are just info wranglers..(I don't mean JUST)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
MacBook Air, Sierra OS, Charter internet.

Safari won't open it. Chrome opens it almost instantly.

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay Diggins - works fine on Mac Retina 3.3 GHz, Chrome, loaded in 3 sec.

Regarding interface and function: Very interesting concept. Gives one a good perspective of terrain, fetch area for streams/rivers related to mines and potential source. Just a few interface/function suggestions:
- Assuming it loads with North at top, include a button to reset orientation to original loaded display (North up)
- If possible, can you incorporate a 'live' compass so that when the map is rotated you can still know key headings

Like what you've done so far...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought my program was cool :)
Both versions loaded instantly.
Windows 3.0, 4mb ram, Crank phone on right to Ethyl
Ethyl.jpg

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
It loaded almost instantly for me on my Cyberpower customized gaming machine with a Verizon FIOS ISP on Firefox. Too touchy moving it around as it goes too fast and names of areas to click on are not very readable. A random click on the dots brings up that info anyway. Many good suggestions already said like a compass. I think the image is too small even on your larger version.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Sounded like a really neat program to use! So I decided to download it and I hit the link and I sneezed and it was there that fast. I have Window 8 with IE .....Now I got to get up off my ole........... well you know what I mean , and go use this program ! Reed , I cant believe that your windows 3.0 is still working and Im worried that Ill need to go to windows 10 that I hate for my computer!:tongue3:

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worked great. 3 seconds initial load time. Controlled well from the mouse. Windows 10, X64, IE, 3.5 ghz Radeon graphics. Tried it on my Iphone 5 about 10 seconds to load but hard to contol the screen, was too fast. Looks like it can be a great product.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tool Barry. Loads fine on an older laptop with Google Chrome.

Will the resolution improve. Comparing the sample imagery location with the same area in the Land Matters files is significantly different.

Thanks for all you folks do,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread