3D Mapping Test - Please help.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 3D Mapping Test - Please help.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11640 times
    Prospecting

Question 3D Mapping Test - Please help.

I've been working on a 3D mapping system. I've put together a sample map of Rich Hill, Arizona with some mine information.

There is a bunch of stuff these maps can do but I'm not sure if they will work on enough peoples browsers to make it worthwhile to pursue development of this system.

Please give it a try and tell me what you think. (Caution - this is about a 7 megabyte map and may take a while to load if you are on a slow connection)
    3D map HERE.

You can move around in the 3D environment with your mouse. Pan, Zoom and get Information from the mines. Try typing in an "r" and watch the mountain spin in 3D. Type an "l" to turn on or off the mine labels. It's a lot of fun and could be a cool feature for researchers if it works for enough people.

This map is smoking fast on my development machine using the latest Firefox browser but doesn't work at all on my Safari browser. It works in Edge, Internet Explorer and Firefox on my Windows 10 computer but it's clunky. It doesn't work very well on my Windows XP machine in the latest Firefox.

Give it a try and let me know if you like it or hate it. If it's working well for you might consider going to a bigger map version for more fun.

Heavy Pans

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6159 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Loaded like greased lightning for me Barry. (Firefox on Frontier DSL connection) I can see the use of something like this. Is there anyway to superimpose elevation lines on it as well? I think that would be handy. The only thing I'd try to do is to put in some movement limits. If you go to far it gives you a view of the underside. Unless you're planning on including the maps for the lode mine tunnels, shafts etc having it go upside down is a bit of a pain. Just my 0.254865 cents which have been adjusted for inflation.

Jeff
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11640 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks Jeff.
    What operating system are you running?

I can limit movement but you already guessed that I have plans for the "bottom" if this works out. I can put elevation lines or topos or pretty much anything I want on the surface or the bottom. I can increase the resolution quite a bit too. The only limit is the ability of the web user to load and run the map. That's why I'm testing to see if it's worth putting a bunch of time into.

Heavy Pans
    Bejay likes this.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    1196 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Win7 64bit -- Pentium 4 dual core processor at 2.7 GHZ -- Firefox -- DSL 2.10 DL speed -- Took 30 seconds to load.
    Mike
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Jul 2015
    Oroville CA
    Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
    232 times
    Prospecting
    works great, very fast.

win 7 64bit.
    chrome
    1.3ghz dual core apu
    radeon HD 6290
    russau and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1222 times
    Prospecting
    Less than 2 second download, W 10, IE, Works great, HP gaming laptop
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6159 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Win 7 here too Barry. I think we've talked enough over the last few years for me to have a good idea on how your mind works (overdrive), so it wasn't all that hard to "guess".
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3922 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    not working on Vista Business 32bit Nvidia 8800GT card
    firefox 45.01 seems I need a newer WebGL its supported but would need to update my 2008 video card drivers

works on android 5.1 opened in Chrome browser, large version works too, can zoom and rotate just have to do it with a light touch
    Last edited by winners58; Jan 03, 2017 at 01:43 AM.
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

Mar 2016
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Less than 2 second download, W 10, IE, Works great, HP gaming laptop
    Whatchya playin?

i5 6500 w7 here

Works great! I know you guys didn't respond to email but put the landmatters into mobile app form and sell the full version for a couple bucks on the the app store and ensure the future of the damn thing, donations gonna run out as old hermits die off.
    Last edited by Golden_Crab; Jan 03, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
    Skunked68w and russau like this.

us
    Oct 2016
    SoCal
    X-Terra 705 Gold
    345 times
    Seems to somewhat work on my android tablet. Loaded fast, can move around, pan, zoom, rotate, flip upside down,click on items to see stats. Takes finger control on a tablet but looks functional. Galaxy Tab S 8.4 running Android 6.0.1 using Chrome browser. I'll try it on my desktop tonight or in the AM.

I like it better than the 2d maps. Nice work!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12979 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    works for me Barry. Internet explorer crappy radio internet that slows in the rain. Took a few minutes to load. But, once it did I could navigate fine even using keyboard controls.
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12979 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Crab View Post
    Whatchya playin?

i5 6500 w7 here

Works great! I know you guys didn't respond to email but put the landmatters into mobile app form and sell the full version for a couple bucks on the the app store and ensure the future of the damn thing, donations gonna run out as old hermits die off.
    I'm not an old hermit. I don't think using it mobile does it justice anyways. I also think Barry want's it to remain free as all the info is free anyway, He and Rubyminer are just info wranglers..(I don't mean JUST)

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2234 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    MacBook Air, Sierra OS, Charter internet.

Safari won't open it. Chrome opens it almost instantly.
    I had a lot more fun when I was 20 in the 70s Than I am having in the 20s at 70.................

us
    Oct 2016
    Colorado, Littleton
    579 times
    Prospecting
    Clay Diggins - works fine on Mac Retina 3.3 GHz, Chrome, loaded in 3 sec.

Regarding interface and function: Very interesting concept. Gives one a good perspective of terrain, fetch area for streams/rivers related to mines and potential source. Just a few interface/function suggestions:
    - Assuming it loads with North at top, include a button to reset orientation to original loaded display (North up)
    - If possible, can you incorporate a 'live' compass so that when the map is rotated you can still know key headings

Like what you've done so far...

us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4095 times
    Prospecting
    5 seconds, win 7, avast, Charter Internet. Looks good and as always...like the future ideas as well!
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links