Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: How the Old Timers Got Under Boulders

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10023 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Are we on the same page here cuz it's starting to sound like you're just arguing for the sake of argument. Pumping water is considered diverting it and since that water's going to have to flow back down to the stream at some point it's going to alter the stream bed within the floodplain of the river that I'm working on wherever that maybe. If we are allowed to run water pumps at the river than WYD isn't everybody doing it? It's not so much running the water pump as it is what you do with the water as any type of motorized or mechanical means of processing minerals is band by the revised red band rules

Case in point? I present Fish and game code 5653
    Section G: (g) For purposes of this section and Section 5653.1 , the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, also known as suction dredging, is the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.  This section and Section 5653.1 do not apply to, prohibit, or otherwise restrict nonmotorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold

Now as much as I'd like to ignore reality or believe I'm above the law, it seems to me like section g was worded loosely enough for a fishing games officer to be able to encompass use of a water pump as "the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals."

So while there was no mention of water pumps being illegal...well let's just say if u think this doesn't encompass the use of a water pump, I'd say it's questionable if you've ever even used one for mining. I know there are lots of people working claims every day, some even with dredges. Maybe someone who's out there doin the damn thing for someone who's been busted running a water pump or better yet somebody who wasn't busted for running a water pump and has confirmed from law enforcement official that it's legal could chime in and fill me in on this whole gig because as far as I know the moment you start using that pump or water from it remaining law enforcement officers are going to flip a f****** script
    Still no laws about water pumps? Darn

Yeah I couldn't find one either.

Imagine that...

You wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Let alone live in a state where liberals haven't made it illegal to even use a water pump.
    Then I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    If you've got water and you aren't using pumps that's your choice. No laws against pumps in California.
    Still no law...

Thanks for sharing your opinions on other things unrelated to water pump laws though. Much appreciated.

Heavy Pans
    Asmbandits and Terry Soloman like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    People still find gold in California... thats cool as heck

I heard it was all gone and you can't even use a sluice!!!

Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:31 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ain't it funny how breaking boulders turns into a disagreement over water pumps and the law?

Jan 2019
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Still no laws about water pumps? Darn

Yeah I couldn't find one either.

Imagine that...

You wrote:

Then I wrote:

Still no law...

Thanks for sharing your opinions on other things unrelated to water pump laws though. Much appreciated.

Heavy Pans
    ....seriously?
    Tell you what, I'll call fish&game, the waterboard, and even stop by the ranger station tomorrow and ask them point blank. That way I can give u a definitive answer. Cause obviously you are not grasping the language of f&g code 5653 section g WHICH CLEARLY AND COMPASSES THE USE OF ANY MOTORIZED OR MECHANIZED DEVICE, MACHINE, WITCHCRAFT, MAGIC, OR ACTS OF GOD. Unless ur water pump is fairy powered, it uses a thing called an engine. This qualifies it as "motorized". The use of ANY motorized or MECHANIZED equipment, clearly being defined as illegal without permits. I don't know how else to put it. If you want to flagrantly disregard
    what im saying in place of " still no waterpumps when the f&g code clearly has the language to encompass waterpumps, thats on you. im sitting here asking a serious question and providing legitimate points of interest, and in return being told in essence that because the rulebook doesnt say the word water pump i can go out and highbank, use a water hose and nozzle to wash overburden and bank material, power sluice, which im pretty sure is not the case. i could be wrong, but until i hear some legit factual info from a source that knows what therwe talking about, "still no water pumps" doesnt qualify as an answer to me.

give me a statement from cheddar bob the f&g ranger, joe blow miner whos been running a waterpump and got the ok from f&g or the waterboard, legislature out of the code book, anything other than an opinion or a snark witty half assed reply, and tack on "still no water pump?" At the end And I'll happily pucker up admit my blithering and being niave and kiss your ass for going off on a rant and thread jacking this thread over some nonsensical b.s.

Otherwise, I'll put up a post when I get some answers from the water gistapo and fish& game

Not trying to come off as a jerk or be argumentative I would just be extremely frustrated with myself if I found out that it was legal for me to use a water pump all this damn time when I've been humping 5 gallon buckets full of water all up and down the canyon. Can you smell what I'm stepping in?
    Last edited by Erect and Caffeinated; Jan 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    lol.. i know several people using motors on their claims.. in publically traversed areas.. Guys that have talked to F&W running hookas... thats a motor...

Blasting gravel under water with the output... F&g walked away no ticket..

Amra runs Hi bankers at the office claim very regularly with f$g actually mingling with members...

Just keep humping those buckets if you want to so bad.

Call all of them its been done Go to meetings its been done.

They don't have a solid no because it doesn't exist...

according to you legal theory a dry washer is a dredge... running a recirc sysem is a dredge ...a blue bowl in camp is a dredge... a battery powered roto hammer to bust bedrock is a dredge... an atv pulling a trailer full of paydirt is a dredge. You can go to the So cal desert and find dozens in use.

the new rules have nothing to do with motors.. it is vauge on purpose because they know most of the people in this state drink spine softener daily.

Heres one rather than vague rules ...how about post the super duper long list of people with citations!!

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    527 times
    Prospecting
    I kinda recall that the Chinese miners of the West Coast were ex-railroad workers. Once the railline was done the owners just up and dumped them. In alot of places they couldn't own a claim. Hard workin' som'*****es. You can still wonder into a old cobble wall made from the creek rocks from the chinese sites. Very through in their endevours.
    But about them boulders.....
    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowFXoECAMQBg

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoAu View Post
    I kinda recall that the Chinese miners of the West Coast were ex-railroad workers. Once the railline was done the owners just up and dumped them. In alot of places they couldn't own a claim. Hard workin' som'*****es. You can still wonder into a old cobble wall made from the creek rocks from the chinese sites. Very through in their endevours.
    But about them boulders.....
    https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowFXoECAMQBg
    Chinese railroad workers didn't exist until the 1860's

So, any chinese miner before that was just a chinese miner.. they were also farmers, carpenters, sailors, business men.

Just like Men from the east during the initial years of the Ca. Gold Rush it was men who could afford he trip that did.

China was no exception Many "pioneer" Chinese families with roots in Ca. came during the early years funded themselves and were succesful.

The racism came twenty years later. when you read early diaries you are hard pressed to find a miner speaking of others in the community in a racist way.

Back then then,

Chinamen called the Chinamen, Chinamen.

The Chinese laborers for the railroad.. just like the Irish. were indentured servants. Typically arrived with travel paid by a broker. Who took a fee for each man. Then paid that man whatever he could get away with ..or not.

What pop culture has done to the nuance of History... especially 19th century American History is just plain gross.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links