Mariposa county / Maxwell creek private land

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-

Lurked for a long time around here but finally decided to see what my property has to offer. I'm in the coulterville area on my private ranch. I have numerous drainages on my property that eventually end up in Maxwell creek. These drainages are thousands of feet long, and start at an elevation of about 3000-3500 feet in elevation and drop to roughly 2k feet in elevation before entering my neighbors ranch where Maxwell runs through. The neighbors have been there since the 49r days so gold is obviously there and they have a couple hard rock tunnel mines on their land that they haven't worked in at least 50-75 years. There are numerous tailing type piles on my land, although I have yet to find a tunnel. There are roads that you can see carved into the sides of the hills on my ranch going to some precarious places which are now completely overgrown. I can only imagine if these roads or trails are in these areas, they must be for very good reason because it is not easy travels to say the least. I also have two of the best springs in the area that run year round even in the worst of droughts. I'm telling you all this just to paint a brief history and of my thought process as I'm certainly new to this.

Anyways, I bought a little yellow jacket 36" sluice and figured I'd look on my property to see if there was any type of placer in my drainages. First spot I went to was the spring. I dug a decent hole behind a nice "knob" of bedrock in the spring area and found a few nice specs and some decent flour gold. This wasn't even a proper hole down to bedrock. I'll have to go back. I know there is gold eroding from somewhere above this drainage point now, so I decided to go to the drainage behind my cabin which looks much more mild, less steep and doesn't flow nearly the water, only flows a few times a year during rainiest times. I found a nice little spot where the bedrock drops a foot or two into a "hole" of bedrock. I cleaned it out decently, certainly not as precise or in depth as I could have gone and I again, got some nice colors but also got a little picker that I saw sitting in the sluice before panning! I can't tell you how excited I was. The reason I'm writing this isn't to boast or brag, the fact is the number value is small. What I'm most excited about is that the gold is on my ranch. Because my ranch is a big hill (80 acres) and flows into Maxwell, does this mean that this gold has to be eroding from a vein somewhere above me on my land? These drainages pretty much start on my property at the peak of the hill. Because gold can't travel up stream my understanding is it must be from somewhere on the face of my property? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not in a hurry to find the gold as it isn't going anywhere and I'm never selling this place, but what would you folks do? I have a lot of free time for the next few months which happens to be when the water is flowing. I feel like a newbie at this and if I found this little gold in 2 days with minimal effort and knowledge my thinking is there has to be some nice deposits here. With the best springs in the area on my land, all the gold activity in this area back in the day, and even all the hand forged tools I've found on my land (axes, rock hammers, etc....) I figure there must be a lot here that was missed ? Maybe I'm being naive I don't know, but please if you have any thoughts or suggestions share them. I'll try to put up a picture of the "picker!" Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0547.JPG

Little picker, sorry about lack of quality picture

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bro check your tailing piles. First pick a side and work the bigger rocks builders down to the gravels, sand/dirt whichever is in your piles. As you work your way down to the base of your piles pay attention to the heavier rocks. if you find a heavier than normal rock take a 4 lb sledge bust it in half. Make sure you have a jewelers loop so you can check the inside of the rock. If you have tailing piles next to the creek or drainages then you have had gold found in your location. Back in the day they would hand stack or throw rocks onto a pile looking for gold usualy the areas under the piles are virgin ground if the area has gold in it. Good luck and may the bottom of your pile be layered with nugetts

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The old timers were pretty good about finding outcroppings that have veins containing gold so if you see no evidence of hard rock tunneling or excavation then there are probably none that are/were exposed. This is not to say that there could be it is just that they are not currently exposed. What gold you are finding may have come from deposits on that hill that have completely eroded away. The land contours on your property and surrounding you have changed over millions of years by uplift, erosion,etc. so it is possible that the gold actually washed onto your property from deposits nearby.

Good luck.

PS: Your property sounds like it might be a metal detectorists heaven.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freddy- I appreciate that suggestion. It's a bit confusing for someone new like me though. When I say piles I don't mean a nice pile on the ground, I'm talking tracts of rock, sitting on the surface of the ground that are completely out of place. The one I'm talking about is at least 200 feet long on the side of a steep hill. Because of the steepness, erosion must take place quick. I assumed a tunnel would be at the top of all the irregular rocks but haven't found anything. As you follow the pile up the hill there are dig outs or pits in the rock a few feet deep on the right side of all the tailings as you go up. It certainly isn't natural. All I can figure is these were either camp sites or something or they are sample sites or something as they were looking for vein. Ill take some pics as this is very confusing I'm sure, and I'm not sure how accurate pics would show anything.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schoolofhardrocks - I'll definitely share some more

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizau- that has crossed my mind for sure, I guess I'm just looking from an odds perspective. This ranch is located in the motherlode region. There are tunnel mines all over this area chasing veins of minerals into the hill, so I guess I assumed that a lot of these miners worked their way up the hill as they sampled they drainages trying to located the sources or veins? But like I said, I am lacking experience and this is just based off what little I have read. Thanks for the advice!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freddy- I appreciate that suggestion. It's a bit confusing for someone new like me though. When I say piles I don't mean a nice pile on the ground, I'm talking tracts of rock, sitting on the surface of the ground that are completely out of place. The one I'm talking about is at least 200 feet long on the side of a steep hill. Because of the steepness, erosion must take place quick. I assumed a tunnel would be at the top of all the irregular rocks but haven't found anything. As you follow the pile up the hill there are dig outs or pits in the rock a few feet deep on the right side of all the tailings as you go up. It certainly isn't natural. All I can figure is these were either camp sites or something or they are sample sites or something as they were looking for vein. Ill take some pics as this is very confusing I'm sure, and I'm not sure how accurate pics would show anything.

What you describe sounds like a classic example of how some placer deposits are exploited....Find a drainage with gold, dig it up, discard the waste material to the side, and continue uphill until you reach barren ground. Sometimes they were lucky enough to find the source vein and began excavating it. I would guess that bedrock is close to the surface in what they dug up since that is the final resting place for most placer gold. They probably did a pretty good job of cleaning bedrock of most of the gold but, for sure, they did not get it all and that is what many of us live to find.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds promising at least.

If it was me....

Research the area in question for past finds.
Google Earth viewing your land might be beneficial in your quest.
Survey the area for promising spots.
Clearing the overgrown paths too see where they lead sounds interesting....Birds eye view from Google Earth my show?

100's of years of erosion from the gold rush days does somewhat replenish the small gold in areas that were even picked clean.

I'd be tempted to rent a powered post hole digger for a day or two and drill some test holes in more promising areas. Wouldn't be too disruptive as you can just fill in the spots pretty easy.

A metal detector would probably be useful in your quest if you have one or could borrow one from a buddy.

Just remember things that have been lost in the past can and will out value things that haven't been found yet.

Good luck on your adventure!

I could have 1000's of hours of adventure on 80 acres of land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0549.JPG

A view of the ranch looking up the hill to get a better idea. I'm taking these samples much lower down into the drainages out of view. As you go higher up the hill in the picture, it gets very steep in places, almost unhikable and yet as the shadows and sun moves through the day you can makes out roads or trails zig zagging all over the place. I'm not talking game trails I'm talking these at one point either had vehicles, cattle pulling carts, people or something traveling them frequently.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might randomly search your hillside to see if you can find gold out of the drainages. Then maybe grid off an area and track it up hill . You may find a source . It could be exposed or maybe under an inch or 2 of dirt. You'll have some fun !

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0550.JPG

A couple hand tools I've found. That axe head is incredibly heavy. Must be made of almost pure iron. When I was going to take this pic I noticed a faded but obvious "star" type engraving or logo on the bottom.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those tools could only talk....Blood , sweat, tears, and possibly riches!

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait this is in california? I thought New Mexico because there's a city called mariposa oh well[emoji20]

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To ease the newbie blues join a local club be it gold, gems or detecting. Many retired folks with plenty of time to assist plus claims,outings and much help always. You have some righteous property and plenty to be found. Spent many years running that country as Bagby based from the 50-60-70s-80s. The State Geology Dept-now Conservation--had quite a few studies,pamplets on the history and gold production in/around Mariposa County. Great place to live for sure. Congratulations- John

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizau
The "tailing" pile and that area I describe run straight up the spine of the mountain and bedrock is close to the surface. There are also mine sites and specifically a tunnel that I located on the rear side of the mountain that has some very interesting rock. Based on the locations and close proximity to my ranch which is on the opposite side of the mountain I'm thinking a lot of the same minerals they chased on the rear must be on the front. I've found awesome pyrite specimens back there and some very interesting reddish rusted quartz veins which appear to be full of copper to me but again, I'm not very educated in this subject. I'll post pics. I've found some nice specimens that are large dark metallic type rock. The rock is very hard and heavy, actually almost doing a number on my hammer! Upon busting some of these open I've found pockets of some type of silver metal running in small disintegrated veins of quartz. Not sure what that is either. Since busting these rocks open, and having sat in the rain, they have now rusted over so I'm assuming there is a large iron content.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenmitch
Thx for stopping in and thanks for the advice. There has been a good amount of research done regarding exactly what you've stated. From google earth, to old satellite maps dating back to the 30s or 40s I believe. There has been evidence of numerous claimed out areas on my land dating very far back, while most of the land surrounded was left vacant which leads me to believe there is definitely something here. Like I said before, as you hike up the hill, the terrain is very difficult. If someone is going to put in all that work on very rough terrain, it must be for good reason. I've found numerous spots on my land which look like old camp sites, and imagine there must be at least one gold coin dropped somewhere. My town currently has a population of 115 people. Not even a single stoplight. Back in the rush days, there were 30-40000 people here. The proximity of my land combined with the amazing artesian springs as well as old overgrown roadways leads me to believe there was a lot of activity here. Someone had to have dropped something of value or at the very least buried some treasure for safe keep and either lost it, got killed, or died somehow. This was the Wild West back in the day. There are many lost treasure stories. I need to get a good metal detector to start looking for things. Those tools I took pictures of I found sticking out of the ground under a gorgeous live oak, probably a home site back in the day. Another odd thing is there are granite rocks, or mini boulders placed at random spots on my land at the base of trees. These rocks are not like the granite bedrock I see, but more like the granite composition in Yosemite meaning they were brought in....but why? Anyways....gets you thinking.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rod, I appreciate that. That's essentially what I want to do but I'd like to expel the least amount of energy and resources possible making the process as efficient as it can be which is why I'm trying to look to you folks. I've always known the gold was here, but after finding it myself on my land, now I really know and I want to start pursuing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions