rocky99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Social Circle Georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have many small pieces that pass the light test and go to the bottom when panning. I plan to run this through a gold cube as a start on fine gold recovery.

This morning I noticed some potential nuggets in my -1/4 + 1/8 cons. What in your opinion is the best mechanical way to recover this size gold? Would a vortex sluice work or would this just be a copy of the gold cube. I would like to run this after classification to -1/4 +1/8. I have not seen any indication of anything above 1/4 and don't have a lot of large size material. Thanks. P. S. prefer at this point not to pan.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are nuggets then just pick them out. The gold cube is for getting down to gold and black sand, so if that's what you're down to in your pan don't waste your time. All gold mining ends up finishing with a pan. Learn to separate and remove the gold in the pan.

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Post close-up photo of nuggets, forum folks will likely be able to ID them if that large. Take a piece of the material you believe is gold and pinch it with pliers, if gold it will deform but not fracture.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might be pretty, you may be sure, but until you learn to pan out your gold you will never fill your polk. :icon_thumright:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you find gold, it is easy to see it again. Nothing(well, just about nothing!) moves like gold in a pan. Sometimes gold seems almost glued to the bottom of the pan as other materials move over it and the gold just stays put.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocky99, how are you going to know if your gold cube is catching gold or just spitting gold out if you don't pan your tailings?

Panning ain't too difficult, there is a panning section below this forum section with tons of panning videos. If there is any part of panning you need help with, or would like clarified please ask questions. I am pretty sure that most people here want you to be successful, and the art of panning is critical to collecting placer successfully.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have many small pieces that pass the light test and go to the bottom when panning. I plan to run this through a gold cube as a start on fine gold recovery.

This morning I noticed some potential nuggets in my -1/4 + 1/8 cons. What in your opinion is the best mechanical way to recover this size gold? Would a vortex sluice work or would this just be a copy of the gold cube. I would like to run this after classification to -1/4 +1/8. I have not seen any indication of anything above 1/4 and don't have a lot of large size material. Thanks. P. S. prefer at this point not to pan.

Your reluctance to pan your "cons" leads me to ask just how much cons are you talking about? Or are you actually bulk screening freshly dug material prior to further processing? If you are dealing with a lot (even not a lot) of actual -1/4+1/8 concentrates and you don't want to pan it all then you can make a cleanup sluice and reduce the total volume drastically. At that point you would have to pan the resulting super concentrates but that would probably be about, or less than, one pans worth and only take a few minutes start to finish.

Good luck

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd just run it in the gold cube. I've found some pretty good size nuggets in it. If they are really nice they stay in the first pee trap. I haven't found anything in the tailing from my cube so I trust that thing 100%

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing more rewarding than seeing gold in your pan....Just saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread