EPA Investigates EPA: Find Themselves At Fault in Colorado Mine Spill

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the story was posted in the Denver rag a week BEFORE the event but I NEVER thought I would see this. Just passing it on.

ratled

EPA Investigates EPA: Find Themselves At Fault in Colorado Mine Spill | RedState

"The Environmental Protection Agency, EPA, has announced that 540 Tons of Metals were dumped into Colorado waterways. Aluminum, Iron and other metallic compounds turned rivers in three states yellow in 2015. An investigation conducted by the EPA found that the EPA was responsible for the mine spill, which caused millions in damage in at least three states. You read that correctly. The EPA found itself responsible for the pollution they are charged with preventing. Why does this agency exist again?........"

Upvote 0

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody will be held responsible or face a single charge.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they can fine themselves..........and use the money to give everyone at the EPA a raise.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the story was posted in the Denver rag a week BEFORE the event but I NEVER thought I would see this. Just passing it on.

ratled

EPA Investigates EPA: Find Themselves At Fault in Colorado Mine Spill | RedState

"The Environmental Protection Agency, EPA, has announced that 540 Tons of Metals were dumped into Colorado waterways. Aluminum, Iron and other metallic compounds turned rivers in three states yellow in 2015. An investigation conducted by the EPA found that the EPA was responsible for the mine spill, which caused millions in damage in at least three states. You read that correctly. The EPA found itself responsible for the pollution they are charged with preventing. Why does this agency exist again?........"

Excuse me, I'm going to buy a lottery ticket.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh boy! Now here is where things are going to get really messed up. The EPA can not be allowed to calculate the fine because of conflict of interest. Since no other governmental agency handles this kind of thing, I'd suggest that all miners and or mining companies that have ever been fined by them be allowed to set the fine. Turn about is only fair play after all. :icon_thumright: I'd say that the chances of this happening though are about the same as finding an honest politician.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, they will find no one at fault or someone retired and they cannot punish them (for legal or health reasons !). Its sad that they could not just clean it up, help the states that received part of the mess with clean up and just do it. Another reason for the mistrust of Government in America.

In the am I am gonna go get my lottery ticket maybe I might win a big fat wad of cash and can go mining, rockhounding and metal detecting all the time. (YA right-I know I am sleeping right now so let me dream !!HAHAHAHAHAHA:tongue3::hello2:)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I hope Trumps team knows this and FIRES EVERYONE INVOLVED of this case of stupidity on the EPA ! They knew what would happen and they did it anyway for the superfund $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ! Just look at it in another perspective of IF it was one of us that did this STUPID act , what would happen to us!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about this makes my suspicion radar go up. Wacos admit wrongdoing?

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something about this makes my suspicion radar go up. Wacos admit wrongdoing?

Damage control. They capped total payout at $4.5m. Denied over $20m additional claims and we all know this could go sky high... almost as much as if one of us was found responsible

ratle

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Damage control. They capped total payout at $4.5m. Denied over $20m additional claims and we all know this could go sky high... almost as much as if one of us was found responsible

ratle

Good point Rattled. Let the fine be equal to what one of us would have been hit with and then add an extra 50% for stupidity! They knew better and went ahead and did it anyway.

And how the heck can they "cap" the total yet? There's going to be YEARS of legal battles on this and anyone with a legitimate claim should be compensated in a just manner. OH WAIT! I forgot....this is the EPA we're talking about! They don't have to play by the rules or follow laws.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread