I need answers!!!

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Need more information... To start with, take close-up photos with tripod or the best that you can of the material. Have you looked at it under a loupe? Crystalline shape? With photos and better defined description, I am guessing that someone will come up with possible name for your mystery material.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with hunt4gold look at it under a 40x jewelers loupe,
could be other minerals or sulfides, gold sometimes runs with pyrite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484007451.427192.jpg

OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean description??? There's no description it looks and acts EXACTLY like gold in the pan but idk why it crushes

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calaverite, AuTe2, is a heavy, sometimes yellow, gold and tellurium mineral and it's specific gravity is higher than black sand so it could separate out/act much like gold in a pan. I did not find any documented presence at your location but it has been associated with ore deposits along the Rio Grande rift and you are on it there in Albuquerque. Here are a couple of links for you about Calaverite and it's distribution in New Mexico. https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/publications/periodicals/nmg/38/n1/nmg_v38_n1_p17.pdf. Calaverite: Calaverite mineral information and data.. Some have suggested that you get a loupe/jewelers and geologists magnifying glass. Do that and check and compare what you have to the pictures in the second link. It is brittle so it can be crushed even though it is largely gold. I think I read somewhere that if it is heated the gold will separate out but I really don't remember for sure so.... Maybe others can help you on that. If it is Calaverite, then that may account for the color differences you have noted before in another thread.

Good luck.

OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks [emoji28][emoji1] so it does have gold?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calaverite contains gold but.....you may or may not have Calaverite.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are crystals on matrix and what you have has been weathered by erosion, etc.

OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok I really appreciate it(: as long as it's gold I'm good

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are just up the road from U.N.M so there may be someone there in it's geology dept. that can help you identify what you have or tell if any Calaverite has ever been noted maybe on one of their geology field trips or in a graduate students dissertation about local geology.

OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah need a car first I'm really really close to New Mexico community college

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

hogtucker

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2017
Idaho
Detector(s) used
gold bug made by fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put a little hydrochloric or nitric acid or gind dowm to 100 mesh and try the acid been placer mining for 40 years ,,am 65 know how to get all the black sand out of 100 mesh gold,but can't figure how to get the monazite crystal out other smelting hog tucker

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pyrite can look very much like gold but if you can crush it under a knife blade and it shatters....it's not gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions