Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As we know; dredging has and is becoming "illegal" by the States.

Many years ago my mining partner and I made a nice placer discovery on a River that only allowed "in-water dredging" at a "winter time" of year when the river was usually in flood stage (a fish thing). I had watched Tom Massie, on a Gold Fever episode, dive with a snorkel and mask for nuggets. (he had trouble staying down and holding his breath).

Now that Oregon and Calif have outlawed dredging I thought it prudent to "OVERCOME" these State intrusions. Oregon is extremely difficult because of the language that says one can not use a motorized means to do instream placer mineing. All that said; I decided to incorporate a method that I believe overcomes the language of the law.

I guess the only challenge might be if the State wanted to expand the term "metal detecting" as MINING.

Being a placer miner and having a geology background I thought this method would achieve success and overcome the Oregon language. As we know; deep holes in rivers often have a scoured bottom and contain cracks/crevices/pockets that contain nuggets. Stream flow deposition allows for heavy/big nuggets to stay in the main course of the channel.

Using the motorized hooka from my dredge, and a fully submersible/underwater metal detector..(along with wet suit and dive belt/vest) one can easily metal detect these unique deep holes with a scoured bottom....crevicing. It can prove to be very rewarding.

Bejay

Upvote 0

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Unless it's one of those no metal detecting areas.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure Why you posted this Several times, But I Deleted all but this One.

One & Done please :unhappysmiley: Posting the same thing Several times can be considered Spam

OP
OP
B

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not sure Why you posted this Several times, But I Deleted all but this One.

One & Done please :unhappysmiley: Posting the same thing Several times can be considered Spam

Reasoning behind 3 posts was because it applied to 3 different categories. Dredgers would find if applicable (as I did). Then of course it is metal detecting...so they may find it of interest. And then the category gold mining seemed very appropriate. Those who know me know I do not post spam.
"Can be" is a very general term....but I get your drift!
Bejay

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reasoning behind 3 posts was because it applied to 3 different categories. Dredgers would find if applicable (as I did). Then of course it is metal detecting...so they may find it of interest. And then the category gold mining seemed very appropriate. Those who know me know I do not post spam.
"Can be" is a very general term....but I get your drift!
Bejay

Understood But Hopefully All interested Will read it Here 8-)

Anyway No insult meant & Thanks For your Understanding :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread