Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'm at a bit of a dilemma...

I have the spot that I've been digging at since I started recreational prospecting. Community dig site south of Cattle Canyon Bridge at the East Fork. Gold is ok, not great. But I know what to expect when I dig there. I think part of why this site produces decent-ish gold is that it's so dug out that the holes are far enough down that the pay layer is accesible. And the holes just migrate around as different people dig them. I can count on a few decent flakes, a picker now and again, and a bit of fine gold every time I go there. But I'm defenetely not getting over a gram in a few hours of digging like the boys in Colorado.

But whenever I try a new place to dig and start my own hole I usually find much less. And I know a big part of that is simply that I'm not at a depth deep enough to get decent gold. I know I could commit to digging a new spot but I don't know if it would pan out to anything more than what I'm already getting at my current spot. And then there is the opportunity cost of finding/starting a new hole. And the time it would take to dig it out to where it's paying at least what I'm already getting.

I guess I could test pan around, but with all the overburden covering everything, I really don't feel like that would produce much as all the pay is down deep.

Thoughts?

The other thing I've thought about it using google Earth and tracking the river location. In a few of the places I dig it's jumped the bed after the rains in 2005 to where it's currently flowing. I know the river carved out the entire canyon at one time so the gold is everywhere, but if I dig in a now dry river channel that used to flow 10 years ago am I upping my odds?

Still learning.

My other issue is partly related to the fact that most of my digging is close to the parking lots so it's heavily prospected. But until I improve my gear and find a reliable digging partner I'm sorta stuck staying close for now.

Upvote 0

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't look at it as quantity of gold but as quality of time - spent in the outdoors, with friends, and or self healing/reflection. I got 2.3 g over 20 outings but the knowledge, grounding and nature appreciation time was worth more than anything.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yep....The adventures are the true riches. The gold is nothing more than nature's reward for sharing it's company.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't put the soap dish on the scale...it's used a a sort of final finishing pan to gently separate the very last of the non-gold from my new found treasure :)

I too had trouble with gold sticking to the little dish that came with the scale I bought. I imagined it was due to static electricity but I don't really know the cause. I now use a small plastic lid I came upon that sheds the gold easily. A very adhoc solution :(

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those disposable red plastic shot glasses work good for weighing gold. I just let my gold dry in the pan once I got the black sands out. I then dump it in a heart shaped aluminum baking pan as the pointed end makes it easy to poor into the shot glass. The clear plastic cups that come with some of the large quantity liquid laundry soaps work good also. Thought about just ordering something but going the MacGyver way was faster.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A creased piece of paper works for me. When you're done weighing then dump into a vial held over a pan just in case your aim is bad.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, always handle gold over a pan! Creased paper is risky for me. I've found gold that doesn't land right on the crease can bounce off the paper and my aim ain't so good ;)

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad the soap dish was for cleaning your gold Kevin :laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah I saw that and that was my thoughts as well. I don't need 35 of them lol.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Goldwasher -- Those look useful but I don't thinks I need 250 of them --- well maybe I do as I'm a hoarder , probably have 30 pans.
Just wish I could hoard more gold.
Mike

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
You could always give them as Christmas presents at your Christmas gold club party! I was going to make up some polished stainless steel funneled trys and polish the inner surface to a mirrored shine for a few of my friends and TIG weld the edges. It was a good idea at the time but I just never got around to getting the S.S. sheet.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol come on guys I just put the item up for info you can find smaller quantities.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy some share with other diggers. I sell them for a nickle in my store and free when you buy a scale

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy some share with other diggers. I sell them for a nickle in my store and free when you buy a scale

I would have totally paid a nickel more for you to stuff one of those in the zooka box lol...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I packed and shipped from home or you would have gotten party favors sorry

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used