Gold panning in northeast georgia

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. There is a huge wealth of knowledge here, read, read, read. We have several members from GA. I understand there is a mineral belt in GA where gold has been mined in the past. GA was the big gold producer until the discoveries in 1849. Keep reading here as I think I remember somebody posting a map showing where the gold is there. There are also some pay to pan places in that area. I'm sure in a day or 2 somebody will reply that has some knowledge of that area.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll need to ask permission but...there are lots of creeks in NE GA with gold in them. I had the privilege of doing some digging 30 min outside Atlanta and found color. Good times!

OP
OP
S

smitty-bitty

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys for replying. Think things are picked over here. Perhaps everywhere. Will be heading to Montana in a week and a half. Maybe better luck up there, even in the freezing cold and snow.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
smitty-bitty, welcome to treasurenet. Your comment about being "picked over" is interesting, and I hope other experienced prospectors will comment on that. I worry about that too when I go out in the field. I live in NJ, so I have to go up to New England or down to VA/NC to prospect, and I have been doing that for the past 3 or 4 years. I think it's fair to say that all these areas have been picked over, but - it's all relative. Certainly there aren't the nuggets just lying in the rivers that there used to be down in NC in the 1800's (I'm sure you know the story about the gold nugget door stop that started the rush in NC). Even the pickers that folks were finding back in the 70's, 80's and 90's are harder to find - but they still turn up once in a while.
And maybe that's what keeps me going back: the thrill of the search. As long as I get a little yellow - even "flour gold" - I'm happy. No, that's not true: even on the trips where I've been skunked (like next door in Pennsylvania) I'm happy. I love being in the places where I prospect - the nature, the sounds of water, the physical work of getting to the gold.

So, in addition to learning about where to prospect in GA (and at the risk of sounding too philosophical), I'd suggest thinking about why you and your husband are going out. If it's for the experience, then whether it's picked over or not shouldn't matter much. Just my $0.02 - everyone's different, and you have the right to feel how ever you want to feel.

One other thought: practicing digging and panning in a really tough spot like Pennsylvania taught me the proper techniques and gave me the confidence to find gold when I get lucky enough to go places like California or Colorado. If northeast Georgia is close for you, even if you only get a little gold it'll be good practice.

Good luck and have fun!

- Brian

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And anyway, it's not true that NE GA is picked over. I've seen some impressive results posted here on tnet from adventurous prospectors in your area. Hit the little creeks the old timers never bothered with in suburban ATL and you may be surprised!!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The tip above about land ownership is very important. On private land you need permission. On the various types of public lands you need to know the laws, rules and regulations.

Have you searched here on TN? There are several old posts on this topic. Have you looked for a local club or prospecting group? Have you checked in with local stores and suppliers of equipment? Have you called the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in Atlanta? Almost every state has a department or division that includes mining and geology (although unless you are using power equipment you aren't "mining) and many of them offer excellent, low-cost local information.

Is there gold still there? Probably.

Southern Gold Belt.jpg
Gold Belt of the Southern States

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
S

smitty-bitty

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may take a weekend and head down there. I know I've had no luck in the chattahoochee where I'm at. thanks for the advice.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Maryland in the gold zone. Didn't get much from the creek for years, and then came a couple flash floods and there was small gold everywhere. No such thing as hunted out.

OP
OP
S

smitty-bitty

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to get the idea that where we might be able to maybe have a chance of finding anything here in georgia is now owned by the parks and recreational department. I'm going to try what Kevinincolorado suggested. I know there's a forum for metal detecting but does anyone know if it's really worth the money and if so, what is the best one do you use?

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by reading this........

Gold Prospecting Forum ? View topic - Georgia Rules and Guidelines.

Simple layman's summary.......

GA land is all privately owned, there are no "claims".
You can pan in National Forests, pan only, no sluices of any kind.
Make SURE that the NF you're in is also not a state owned WMA (wildlife management area)
Nothing can be done there.

Honestly... most of the gold is still here in GA if you are working streams and creeks.
It's just that most is buried by overburden 2-6 feet deep and sits on the bedrock.
It's harder to find than other other areas... hence the gold rush moved from GA to CA.
A lot of the gold in GA is actually still in the lode deposits... (still in the rock)

Also, we don't have HUGE old waterways, rivers, etc, that run through the gold deposits.
To have "productive panning areas" you really need 1- a deposit... 2- a large waterway moving through that deposit to
make "placer gold". (or at least an old one that moved through it at some point)

1-2 colors per pan is good for GA if you are working the surface.
Get down to bedrock in that same area and you'll find a lot more.

Hastily written... but hope it helps.

Doc

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Needing a few pointers if anyone can help. My husband and I are going to start trying to find gold for a hobby. We have watched a few videos and done alot of reading. Don t know where to look and would appreciate any advice.

Just in case you are not aware......"Doc" (the post just above) is not only the developer of some of the best gold processing equipment available today Gold Hog - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat but, as a "Georgia boy", he is probably the reigning authority on placer gold mining in Georgia.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
look at the GA state site here --I posted some helpful info ==gold bearing area maps of Georgia

OP
OP
S

smitty-bitty

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!! Got to love Ga :( Just read the rules. Thank you for the information.

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Georgia still has loads of gold. Certainly no need to go to another state to find some. No it's not the 1800s anymore, and its certainly tougher to find than it was back in the day but there's still plenty to be had. Best of luck!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to the Coker Creek GPAA website/forum you will find a lot of information from a guy called Big Al.
He has written down directions of creeks to hunt gold in the Alatoona Lakes area. (cause he's been there, done that).
All the locations are on Army Corps of Engineer property, and it is allowed to pan in the creeks.
Hope this helps you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread